Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question... .22LR CB loads - Remington in particular - on uh, cats...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Question... .22LR CB loads - Remington in particular - on uh, cats...

Anybody have any experience with shooting cats with CB's? This is from a 24" barrel'd Cz m69.

I'm wondering if I place the bullet in the cranium if it'll penetrate.

No cat lover comments please. We are litterally covered up with feral cats in my little town.

I've trapped one but there are about 4 or 5 more coming into our yard and getting a drink and crapping all over.

Wouldn't be such a problem accept our dog finds the scat and eats it... and she doesn't need that - she's almost 14 years old now.

If I can trap em, I will, but there's a big Tom that's too crafty to go for the tuna....
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Depends on the distance. I have shot rabbits at about 25 yds. and had to hold over a little.
    Best to set up a target and see how to sight.

It'll penetrate their skull at a reasonable distance. The CB's are like a high powered pellet gun with very little advantage.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I have been shooting at crows by the pond at about 100 yards, and if doesn't kill them. That is out of a 10/22 with winchester white box. I am pretty sure I am hitting them, as I can hit clay pigeons at that distance reliably. I am aiming at the body though and not the head.

Sounds like a perfect job for a suppressed .22 with standard loads.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

suppressed 22 w std loads will still be supersonic, ie, loud.

i dont see it having a problem at a reasonble distance. say, 25 yds or so, and at that distance, there shouldnt be too much of a differnce in impact to where your scopes already set.

Nah, the wolf standard velocity 40 grainers I use are 1050fps and very accurate and consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    Nah, the wolf standard velocity 40 grainers I use are 1050fps and very accurate and consistent.
    Isn't 1050 fps super sonic?
    Sound travels around 750 fps at sea level.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I was under the impression subsonic rounds were anything under ~1100fps. I think you're thinking mph.
    Last edited by ready; 08-06-2010 at 06:10 PM.

You're right.

The speed of sound is the rate of travel of a sound wave through an elastic medium. In dry air at 20 °C (68 °F), the speed of sound is 343 metres per second (1,125 ft/s). This equates to 1,236 kilometres per hour (768 mph), or about one kilometre in three seconds and about one mile in five seconds.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

well fuck me runnin'

i thought it was in the area of 850-900 fps, but......

The speed of sound is the rate of travel of a sound wave through an elastic medium. In dry air at 20 °C (68 °F), the speed of sound is 343 metres per second (1,125 ft/s).
    granted, thats at sea level, 0% humidity, and 68 °F. conditions ive never seen in my lifetime. so , depending on your altitude, humidity, temprature, ect.. that round could go either way. if it were me, i thinki id err on the low side, if i was worried about staying silent.

damn, i need to type faster

He is correct about MPH. Aircraft are subsonic below 7 hundred and some odd miles per hour.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

As a rule of thumb, when hand loading for subsonic your target is 1050 fps.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    As a rule of thumb, when hand loading for subsonic your target is 1050 fps.
    Ya purdy much! Also, most of your MATCH GRADE ammo is subsonic because when the bullet breaks the sound barrier, it can effect the path of the bullet, just slightly, but enough make an otherwise 10 ring shot a 9 or 8. So take that new wolf you got and go to town. Or get some super sub 60 grain the bullet will go in and right out.

CB rounds travel about 720fps. I used them around my place because I don't like disturbing my neighbors. If you use them in a bolt gun with a 20 inch barrel, they sound like a high powered pelletgun. In fact, my RWS M-48 is louder than my Marlin boltgun using CB longs.

Years ago, my trashcan was getting invaded and trash was getting tossed all over the place. I thought it was raccoons, so I decided to scope them out. I noticed the security light would come on around 1AM, so I planned around that. I made my hide about 10 yards from my trashcan. I went out about 12:30 and waited. When the light turned on, the lid on my trashcan flipped and something fell in. I waited with the scope trained on the open can. When two little lights popped up and blinked, I squeezed off a shot. The lights disappeared, and scurrying and thrashing noises came from my trashcan. After a few seconds, they stopped, and I took a look. I put a round dead between the eyes of a large cat! So, to answer your question, yes, with good shot placement, you can kill a cat using CB rounds.

btw.... I like cats. I don't think I would have taken the shot if I had known it was a cat.
    If I weren't supposed to shoot guns, why did God give me trigger fingers?

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by 63DH8 View Post
    CB rounds travel about 720fps. I used them around my place because I don't like disturbing my neighbors. If you use them in a bolt gun with a 20 inch barrel, they sound like a high powered pelletgun. In fact, my RWS M-48 is louder than my Marlin boltgun using CB longs.

Years ago, my trashcan was getting invaded and trash was getting tossed all over the place. I thought it was raccoons, so I decided to scope them out. I noticed the security light would come on around 1AM, so I planned around that. I made my hide about 10 yards from my trashcan. I went out about 12:30 and waited. When the light turned on, the lid on my trashcan flipped and something fell in. I waited with the scope trained on the open can. When two little lights popped up and blinked, I squeezed off a shot. The lights disappeared, and scurrying and thrashing noises came from my trashcan. After a few seconds, they stopped, and I took a look. I put a round dead between the eyes of a large cat! So, to answer your question, yes, with good shot placement, you can kill a cat using CB rounds.

btw.... I like cats. I don't think I would have taken the shot if I had known it was a cat.
    Cat Murderer!!!

Good shootin Tex.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

As far as U.S.-made, I've only used CCI's and they were the same length as .22 Longs (NOT long rifle). I also have some German-made CB's that have cases about as long as a .22 starter gun blank without the crimp. The bullet is conical with a point and they are more powerful than those CCI's. Not very loud out of a long barrel and the sound is not readily identifiable as either a gunshot or pellet rifle unless you know what you're listening for. These that I have came in a tin like pellets do.

Never shot at anything outside about 25 yds, but they were VERY effective at that range. Watch out for the rabid animal rights nazis, whatever you do!!! They don't care why you may do things, only that you do them.
    Last edited by sisyphus; 08-15-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 63DH8 View Post

Don't feel bad.
    Cat shooting is necessary to keep them for injuring themselves and suffering as a result.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Anybody have any experience with shooting cats with CB's? This is from a 24" barrel'd Cz m69.

I'm wondering if I place the bullet in the cranium if it'll penetrate.

No cat lover comments please. We are litterally covered up with feral cats in my little town.

I've trapped one but there are about 4 or 5 more coming into our yard and getting a drink and crapping all over.

Wouldn't be such a problem accept our dog finds the scat and eats it... and she doesn't need that - she's almost 14 years old now.

If I can trap em, I will, but there's a big Tom that's too crafty to go for the tuna....
    I'm a cat lover but I have no love for the feral bastards.Shoot em up and make tacos and sell them from the back of your truck to local job sites...

In fact we have skunks,opossums,raccoons and some feral cats these would good for some quiet pest control.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I respect people's love for cats.
    I've never liked them, never owned one, and never will.
    There's just something about them.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast