Thread: Here's What I Found For Sale

Here's What I Found For Sale

A guy I know has a AK for sale and until today I didn't know what type it AK was.
    I am going to look at it tomorrow, tell me if this is a decent deal.
    The Rifle is a Norinco MAK 90, Riveted Not Milled, Not a Slant Cut Receiver, (6) 30 Round Mags, 500 rds. of 7.62 Ammo, Has a Dragunov Stock and Original Thumb Hole Stock. He bought it New and says it hasn't been shot much. He has the original box, Sling and Cleaning Kit and a Soft AK Case that holds Mags that goes with it.
    He is Asking $600.00 for it. I Would like to know the Value, before I look at it.
    Thanks Guys.

that sounds about right on the price,not really a deal but its not robbey either,id see if hed take 500 for it then id feel pretty good about the deal

That seem to be the going rate for the rifle plus or minus. All the extra's are pretty much free from what I've been seeing lately
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I'd ask him to do it for $550, but $600 isnt that bad.

$400 MAK-90 plus $60 in mags plus $100 in ammo equals $560 and I'd ask for $550.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

You know...I WISH I could get a MAK 90 for the prices y'all seem to think they are worth..either I have horrible luck or you lot are the cheapest gun buyers this side of the line.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sergi762 View Post
    You know...I WISH I could get a MAK 90 for the prices y'all seem to think they are worth..either I have horrible luck or you lot are the cheapest gun buyers this side of the line.
    The value of a firearm and the price it sells for by a dealer are often two different things. I personally value a stock MAK-90 at $400 although I know a dealer can get $550 at the gunshow. I also know that if I were to individually sell my firearms, I would get less for each than what a dealer would get. Hell, my local shop has been charging $500 for WASR-10 rifles since 2002. The price fits now, but certainly not back then.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    The value of a firearm and the price it sells for by a dealer are often two different things. I personally value a stock MAK-90 at $400 although I know a dealer can get $550 at the gunshow. I also know that if I were to individually sell my firearms, I would get less for each than what a dealer would get. Hell, my local shop has been charging $500 for WASR-10 rifles since 2002. The price fits now, but certainly not back then.
    Wouldn't a Norinco MAK 90 be worth more than a $500 WASR-10? Isn't the MAK a LOT better gun than a WASR?
    If the $500 Price fits a Romanain WASR-10 then shouldn't a MAK be worth more than $500?
    Am I missing Something? From what I have read the WASR's are at the bottom of the list for AK's.?

Quote Originally Posted by 68rs327 View Post
    Wouldn't a Norinco MAK 90 be worth more than a $500 WASR-10? Isn't the MAK a LOT better gun than a WASR?
    If the $500 Price fits a Romanain WASR-10 then shouldn't a MAK be worth more than $500?
    Am I missing Something? From what I have read the WASR's are at the bottom of the list for AK's.?
    I wasn't trying to put down the WASR's with my post. I just thought a MAK 90 would be worth more than a WASR?
    The MAC's Receivers and Barrels are thicker than most AK's, making them stronger. I even remember reading once where the Navy Seal's bought Norinco AK's to use back in the day.
    Also read a minute ago where the Norinco's were the closest thing to a true AK47 as you can get.
    They are not imported anymore and all that's in the USA is it. So factoring all this in, I would think a MAK would be worth more than the Romanian AK's and Should do nothing but go up in Value the longer you own it? Or am I totally off base?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

As others have posted that's not a steal but probably a fair deal for the times. I'd counter with $500-$525 and meet in the middle. Unless he bought the gun and ammo recently or overpaid for the gun originally he should have some wiggle room.

Just remember money talks and in this case you're the one with the money. Cash today almost always wins over cash tomorrow.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by 68rs327 View Post
    Or am I totally off base?
    I think the problem is the MAK's have been nutured and it's pretty much impossible to find the stuff to bring it back to the look that most want in an AK.
    Plus you would have to swap out to US parts which takes some of the original stuff out which is what gives it the reputation you mentioned. That kind of keeps it from going to crazy in price like the pre-bans and why the Romanians are catching up since that supply is thinning especially with original barrels
    Always worth a shot to haggle but it still seems like a decent deal
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Personally, I would be willing to spend a little more for a Chinese AK/MAK/SKS over any European AK/SKS. I believe the Chinese versions to be better built, regardless of configuration.

anymore ,the deal has to be righteous for me to justify buying ANYTHING firearmswise.i figure if you can get that stufff for 500 your coming in at least 100 under wht its worth.i agree with whoever stated the itemized figures for the aforementioned mak with goodies

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    It blows my mind to see WASRs selling for $450 these days. It goes back to supply and demand, and unfortunately as long as import restrictions are used as a way around our rights that shall not be infringed, we are stuck with what we have.

I agree that the reason people have a hard time with the MAK-90 is George Bush the First and the way Norinco went about making the rifle look angelic in his firearm hating eyes. By removing the cleaning rod holder, and installing that heavy bush-hole stock, they didn't make the weapon less evil, they just ruined it for those who like the looks of the Kalashnikov. Because it is almost impossible to find unBushed front sight and gas blocks, many people shy away from an otherwise great rifle.

Value wise, the MAK-90s are selling for between $400 and $450 although sellers are asking more, check the auctions, they are not selling at the higher prices. Figure as stated earlier $10 per mag, and $100 for the ammo and you have an idea what a reasonable price is these days.

You would also have to calculate the cost of removing that big weight from the rear of the receiver to install a correct pistol grip and stock if you so desire.

Good luck with what ever you do, the Norincos are really nice rifles, and the Chinese had the best trigger feel of any commercial AK ever imported.

I bought the MAK90. My Friend brought it over today, I am paying him tomorrow and picking up the gun. I talked him down to $500, it is in great shape. It came with 500 rds of Ammo, (6) 30 round Mags, 2 Mag pouches, a soft case, Scope mount on dust cover, original dust cover, original sling, cleaning kit, Dragnov Stock, Original Thumb Hole Stock, and Manual. It is a Straight Cut Stamped Receiver, Importer is some company in Knoxville, TN (can't remember the name). I am happy with the deal and will post photos tomorrow after I get her home.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Congrats and I am sure you will enjoy your new "toy"!!!!!