Thread: Chinese Norinco Long Barrel Muzzle Brake Replacement

Chinese Norinco Long Barrel Muzzle Brake Replacement

I am buying a Chinese Norinco NHM-91 and we could not move the little post holding the muzzle nut in place. Or whatever it's called (noob here). I found on a site that some are welded in. I didn't get a good look at it before I left the shop so I don't know. I also found some info on another site that said to get it out by taking out the sight. Any advice? The dealer I'm buying it from wasn't familiar with it. I would really like a brake on there.

romak10/63UF
    The brake you want is a 14x1 reverse thread the muzzle nut will be tac welded on you should use a Dremel thin cut off wheel an dremel off the weld first " do not cut into the barre " do not cut down to the treads you know what im talking about... use a pair of vise grip lighty spring clamped to the muzzle but so to not deform the muzzle nut the pin needs to pushed into the front sight post then turn clock wize for the nut to come off once its moving you can release the vice grip clamp an unscrew by hand... There are many muzzle brakes out there the ak74 in 14x1 thread is a good one that i recommend. Any questions just ask..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Please forgive the person who answered your post without reading it.

The muzzle device retaining pin on many NHMs were nothing more than a pin pressed into the front sight to hold the nut in place.

Usually the retaining pin is held in place by the front cross pin of the front sight and has a slot in it to allow it to pass over the retainer freely. Unfortunately when many NHMs were built to George Bush the First's less than evil standards, the muzzle device retaining pin was installed without the normal spring behind it, and the cross pin was literally jammed into place.

First remove the front cross pin, and see if that loosens up the retainer pin so that you can pull it out the front. You might need to liberally soak it is a penetrating oil to help get it out.

Sometimes you can pull it out over the muzzle nut without any problems, but I have had one front sight that I had to drill a small hole in the rear of the sight block into the pocket that the retaining pin lives, then drive it out with a punch from behind. A little epoxy over the hole and a bit of touchup and the repair was virtually invisible.

If you can pull the pin forward slightly but the nut interferes, then pull it as far forward as possible, and using a cut-off wheel, cut it down slightly so that you still have something to grab on, but also by removing some, have a space to pull the rest out into.

Worst case is you will have to remove the front sight to get it positioned so that you can drill that hole in the rear to drive out the pin. You will have to cut the retaining pin flush with the front of the sight block, then turn the nut off remembering it is left hand so turn it the "wrong way" to get it off. Then remove the second front sight cross pin and drive the sight block off. Then you can chuck it up and be able to drill into the rear of the retaining pin pocket to drive the pin out.

A proper retaining pin has a cutout in it for the cross pin to go under. You would first insert the spring in the pocket, then push the correct retaining pin in place, and lining up the slot, then install the cross pin that retains the muzzle device retainer pin.

Yes, it is a major pain in the you know where.

Good luck. Please keep up posted and if you do have to ask another question, feel free to do so, just remember that this site isn't monitored 100% so your answer might be an hour or two coming, but it will come!

romak10/63UF
    So the NHM91 had the Muzzle nut retaining rod jamed into the front sight post with out a spring ? thats somthing i didnt know i learn somthing new every day... i thought the owner of this thread was wondering about the muzzle nut being tac welded on...

Yep, unfortunately during that period when the Chinese were trying to figure out what Bush was allowing in, some really silly things happened.

Many if not most NHM91s had a rod instead of the correct pin and spring installed in the front sight as a way to prove to Bush his evil flash hider could not be installed.

There were also some underfolding NHM90s and MAK-90s that had the Bush-hole stock installed over the actual folding stock, which resulted in a really weird looking rifle. The folder was folded forward and the bush-hole stock installed over it, thereby "locking it" in place so it's evilness couldn't be used.

Later, you can see many Norincos with the muzzle turned down far enough that you couldn't thread it with the standard 14x1mm left hand thread and the front sight block was not drilled for the retaining pin. The Chinese were doing everything they could to make Bush happy, but unfortunately clinton decided that he would just ban all rifles and parts from China due to circumstances very much under his control.

So crazy. Thanks for the advice. My dealer was surprised about this. He's the one doing it for me.I'm sure I would bend something that shouldn't be bent or something that would render the gun useless.

As long as you don't damage the muzzle, it is very hard to hurt any AK variant while working on the sight block. I have seen people try to align a canted sight block by pounding it with a mallet, only to break off one of the ears at the top.

Sometimes redoing things that were done to make George Bush the First happy are pretty difficult, but done that way just to convince the government that the rifle met an unconstitutional edict.

I hope your dealer has the patience required to remove the pin, but it is doable.