Thread: Looking at this Stock, Need your Opinion

Looking at this Stock, Need your Opinion

Looking at going with a Bulgarian Polymer Stock on my Stamped MAK to use as my shooter. I personally like the Look better than the Intrafuse Adjustable Stock. I wanted to keep the look of a traditional AK. I need a little help understanding how the stocks are measured. This Stock Says 13 INCHES LENGTH OF PULL PERFECT FOR THE AVERAGE BUILD AMERICAN SHOOTER!!
    When you measure a stock. Do you measure from the Back of the Butt Plate to the Back of the Receiver? If So this stock should work for me. My Dragunov Stock is only 9" from back of Butt Plate to Back of Receiver. If this stock is 4" Longer, it is what I am looking for. It is Warsaw Length, I thought they would be to short for me, but when I put a tape measure on it, it looks to be a good fit for me? Am I correct on how they measure the stocks? I was getting ready to place my order but wanted some opinions and this stock. It is made by Tapco.
    Any of you guys have this stock and how do you like the Fit and Feel of the Stock?
    Any Concerns?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

Length of Pull or LOP is measured from the curve of the trigger to the center of the buttplate as a straight line measurement. To determine what LOP one needs bend your arm at the elbow and make your hand look like it's holding the pistol grip and your finger is on an imaginary trigger. Measure from the pad of your trigger finger to the crook in your arm at the elbow.

As long as the stock doesn't exceed this distance it should feel comfortable to shoulder and shoot. If this distance on the weapon is greater than your arm LOP distance the gun will seem nose heavy and you will probably struggle a bit to shoulder the weapon. IMHO it doesn't hurt to have a stock up to 1 inch shorter than measured LOP especially for a combat type weapon. It will make it easer to get the stock to your shoulder. What works for a stock length when it's 90 out and you're wearing a pocket t-shirt at the range doesn't work worth a damn in cold weather with a bulky coat on.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Length of Pull or LOP is measured from the curve of the trigger to the center of the buttplate as a straight line measurement. To determine what LOP one needs bend your arm at the elbow and make your hand look like it's holding the pistol grip and your finger is on an imaginary trigger. Measure from the pad of your trigger finger to the crook in your arm at the elbow.

As long as the stock doesn't exceed this distance it should feel comfortable to shoulder and shoot. If this distance on the weapon is greater than your arm LOP distance the gun will seem nose heavy and you will probably struggle a bit to shoulder the weapon. IMHO it doesn't hurt to have a stock up to 1 inch shorter than measured LOP especially for a combat type weapon. It will make it easer to get the stock to your shoulder. What works for a stock length when it's 90 out and you're wearing a pocket t-shirt at the range doesn't work worth a damn in cold weather with a bulky coat on.
    Thanks for the reply and explaining how to measure Length of Pull (LOP) it really helped a lot.
    Looks like the Warsaw Length might fit me better.
    Thanks

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post

^^^ this

and add to that, that lop is usually only "important" for traditional style rifles. once you have a pistol grip sticking down vertically, it changes the way your body reacts with the weapon and makes the actual lop much less critical. whereas using a std stock, having a lop 2" short or long would put your wrist and elbow at a very uncomfortable angle and be pretty much unuseable, the same 2" on a pistol gripped weapon would be noticable, but likely still comfortable enough to shoot.