Thread: Scope or Red Dot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Scope or Red Dot

Which have you found to be better for the AK? A scope or a red dot sight. I just got a 3 9x40 scope and mounted it, but haven't shot through it. I like the red dot, but I tend to shoot better generally with scopes. Sometimes.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

On a standard AK, always irons, or a red dot. I've never really understood putting a scope on an average AK. For the most part, they are a 4MOA+ weapon... (there are new accurized MOA AKs on the market though)
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

nhm-91

It's an nhm-91.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Standard Chinese AK then

I agree - red dot. Fast targeting for quick shooting.

If you are using your AK for deliberate, long-range shots, then you are asking it do somethng much better suited to a bolt action.

Nothing wrong with using it any way you want and a scope will help with longer-range shots. But it will slow you down for closer ranges unless it's got a 1x setting.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I would say red dot. Scopes are slow to get a sight picture on and AK rifles aren't sniper class.

i use low powered scopes for my siaga 545 and it works great.my vision is horible (fixed 4x bsa, with a large circle w/ a dot in the middle)

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Standard Chinese AK then

I agree - red dot. Fast targeting for quick shooting.

If you are using your AK for deliberate, long-range shots, then you are asking it do somethng much better suited to a bolt action.

Nothing wrong with using it any way you want and a scope will help with longer-range shots. But it will slow you down for closer ranges unless it's got a 1x setting.
    I have seen Red Dot's for $69.95 up to $500 plus. What do you get in the $500 one that you don't in the cheaper one? Other than quality. Sorry if this sounds stupid!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goyena70 View Post
    I have seen Red Dot's for $69.95 up to $500 plus. What do you get in the $500 one that you don't in the cheaper one? Other than quality. Sorry if this sounds stupid!
    Quality is a big difference. The good ones don't have to have the red dot centered in the field of view perfectly to hit where they are sighted to. The cheap ones do. Eotech is what I am most familiar with as I own 2 model 512 AA battery models. Because the reticle is a laser projected hologram you don't have to have perfect head placement and or dot placement in the view window / field of view. Battery life is also probably a lot better on higher priced units. Aimpoint in particular is the champion of battery life. One set of batteries can last 8+ years even if the thing is left on at low brightness. Eotechs not that much, but hundreds of hours none the less.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 08-26-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Cheaper red dots can stop working, come out of zero easily, fog up, wash out in bright light, and just generally suck.

I've got a Kobra for my railed AK, but have to admit I've never seriously tested the accuracy.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"