Thread: Scope or Red Dot

Scope or Red Dot

Which have you found to be better for the AK? A scope or a red dot sight. I just got a 3 9x40 scope and mounted it, but haven't shot through it. I like the red dot, but I tend to shoot better generally with scopes. Sometimes.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

On a standard AK, always irons, or a red dot. I've never really understood putting a scope on an average AK. For the most part, they are a 4MOA+ weapon... (there are new accurized MOA AKs on the market though)
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

nhm-91

It's an nhm-91.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Standard Chinese AK then

I agree - red dot. Fast targeting for quick shooting.

If you are using your AK for deliberate, long-range shots, then you are asking it do somethng much better suited to a bolt action.

Nothing wrong with using it any way you want and a scope will help with longer-range shots. But it will slow you down for closer ranges unless it's got a 1x setting.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I would say red dot. Scopes are slow to get a sight picture on and AK rifles aren't sniper class.

i use low powered scopes for my siaga 545 and it works great.my vision is horible (fixed 4x bsa, with a large circle w/ a dot in the middle)

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Standard Chinese AK then

I agree - red dot. Fast targeting for quick shooting.

If you are using your AK for deliberate, long-range shots, then you are asking it do somethng much better suited to a bolt action.

Nothing wrong with using it any way you want and a scope will help with longer-range shots. But it will slow you down for closer ranges unless it's got a 1x setting.
    I have seen Red Dot's for $69.95 up to $500 plus. What do you get in the $500 one that you don't in the cheaper one? Other than quality. Sorry if this sounds stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by goyena70 View Post
    I have seen Red Dot's for $69.95 up to $500 plus. What do you get in the $500 one that you don't in the cheaper one? Other than quality. Sorry if this sounds stupid!
    Quality is a big difference. The good ones don't have to have the red dot centered in the field of view perfectly to hit where they are sighted to. The cheap ones do. Eotech is what I am most familiar with as I own 2 model 512 AA battery models. Because the reticle is a laser projected hologram you don't have to have perfect head placement and or dot placement in the view window / field of view. Battery life is also probably a lot better on higher priced units. Aimpoint in particular is the champion of battery life. One set of batteries can last 8+ years even if the thing is left on at low brightness. Eotechs not that much, but hundreds of hours none the less.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 08-26-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Cheaper red dots can stop working, come out of zero easily, fog up, wash out in bright light, and just generally suck.

I've got a Kobra for my railed AK, but have to admit I've never seriously tested the accuracy.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Quality is a big difference. The good ones don't have to have the red dot centered in the field of view perfectly to hit where they are sighted to. The cheap ones do. Eotech is what I am most familiar with as I own 2 model 512 AA battery models. Because the reticle is a laser projected hologram you don't have to have perfect head placement and or dot placement in the view window / field of view. Batter life is also probably a lot better on higher priced units. Aimpoint in particular is the champion of battery life. One set of batteries can last 8+ years even if the thing is left on at low brightness. Eotechs not that much, but hundreds of hours none the less.
    What would be the minimum distance to your eye?
    "I AM TOO OLD TO FIGHT SO IF THREATENED I SHOOT TO KILL"

Quote Originally Posted by goyena70 View Post
    What would be the minimum distance to your eye?
    Eye relief is virtually infinite. Though the closer you set the unit the wider your field of view.

Top rifle is my AR with dedicated .22 LR upper, bottom rifle is .223 / 5.56 Nato chamber. The .22 LR is my trainer for the full caliber bun, the sights both red dot and BUIS irons are identical and identically spaced. The spacing is primarily dictated by the on off buttons of the Eotech 512 being located on the back of it, (toward the shooter). Other models of Eotech have the buttons on the sides. If I had one of those models it would be back as far as the BUIS. BTW the BUIS are Yankee Hill Machine brand.

My son and I just put this scope on an AR we built. We are very pleased with it. Dial it down and it is pretty much a red dot. Dial it up and you have a 4x scope.

http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-B...bo-P42148.aspx

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011

I've tried different mounts, scopes & red dots on my AK's... I always end up preferring the irons. I did recently pick up one of the Vortex strikefire/RS AKM mount packages from AIM surplus (Here) and I'll be honest, I'm impressed. It allows you to co-witness the irons and you can field strip the rifle without removing the mount. It works very well for fast target acquisition but my groups were no better than using the irons.

Red dots are fun and I have them on my AR's but I've just never been a fan of them on my AK's. They don't really help with accuracy if you are decent with the irons, and it seems like you are taking a super reliable rifle and adding an optic and mount that may not live up to the reliability of the rifle. I don't like the forward ultimak mounts, and I don't like how high most side mounts place the optic over the rifle. The RS AKM mount is the first one I've used that I didn't immediately take off the rifle. I still need a couple more range trips with it before I really know if I like it or not.

I've been accused of extreme over-kill with my I.O.R. Valdada in 3 x 25 and they're right as a $700 scope is insane on a $400 weapon , however it's just plain fun !

Even though most AK's are only in that 3" to 4" MOA (if lucky) , I have been amazed how accurate my Romy is with this scope ! Maybe the three power helps me focus better , I can't say ...

For me , it's all about "is it fun to shoot" and with my various scopes it becomes fun when you can have friends just "place the red-dot and shoot !!!

If battle was eminant I'd go "irons" , but fun is where it's at !!!

....this is the reticle for the I.O.R. , it has range-finding capabilities althought I rarely am shooting that far .....
    Nothing but the finest weapon construction and parts used !

For shooting within 75 yards (or so), the red dot is fast. A cheap one will break or get out of adjustment everytime you turn around. Get a good one with a good mount. I am leary of the handguard mounts, because of the heat from the barrel. At 100 yards plus, a basic 4X scope will let you see the target better. You don't need 3X9, or any thing higher. There are peep sights from several companies, that are fast to use, and rugged. I recomend using your iron sights for the first case of ammo, to learn how to control the gun. They are better then some people give them credit for.