Thread: New Romanian Cugir Factory GP-WASR 10/63

New Romanian Cugir Factory GP-WASR 10/63

I know nothing about AK's but am willing to learn. Aim has these for $440. Are they a good gun or junk? The price seems fair. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Well, I just bought a 10/63 underfolder and it's great. Probably the best Romanian that I've seen come from Century.

They are made on military kits - which I like. The fit and finish on mine is very good.

You can check around for a better price - but $440's pretty good. I noticed that most of the wholesalers took a price increase on these recently.

Here's what mine looked like out of the box: (from SOG)

What kind of questions do you have? Ask away!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Well, I just bought a 10/63 underfolder and it's great. Probably the best Romanian that I've seen come from Century.

They are made on military kits - which I like. The fit and finish on mine is very good.

You can check around for a better price - but $440's pretty good. I noticed that most of the wholesalers took a price increase on these recently.

Well to me they are all AK's. I wouldn't know a WASR from a whatever. I was just wondering what would be a good AK to cut my teeth on and is the price fair. The ammo is so darn cheap it has piqued my interest.

Its a good start,dont worry.
    You came to the right place to learn.
    As you learn you will find what "speaks to you" and your collection will grow.

chinese,russian,bulgarian,lots to pick.
    Romanians are still my favorite though I go to gunshows to find the romanian SAR's,theyre my favorite.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the AK-addiction!

WASRs seem to be hit or miss although lately it seems they are more on the hit side.

Because the ones AIM has started life in Romania, the enter the US with mag wells only wide enough for the angelic single stack mags. Once here they are modified per the sporting clause of the new second amendment to allow use of standard AK mags. As long as the mag well was opened correctly, you will not have a problem.

The good thing about buying from AIM is their customer service. If you have a problem they will make it right as long as they have a rifle in stock to exchange. Great company to do business with.

As for prices, they seem to be skyrocketing. Wasn't too long ago that $500 would buy you a really nice AK variant and WASRs could be found for under $300 all day long. Unfortunately unless something major happens to our right that shall not be infringed, those days are gone and get what you can while you can.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Thumbs up

OK.

Yes and Yes.

These are great AKM's and will accept all the standard AK aftermarket stuff for "stamped" AK's. They have bayo lugs intact (so you can attach a standard AK bayo) and threaded muzzles to accept the standard muzzle devices. Mine came with a slant brake installed.

The barrels are Romanian and chrome-lined, which is good.

They come with Tapco G-2 fire control groups so the triggers are pretty nice. The mag well on mine was nice and snug and perfect for the inexpensive steel eastern block AK mags. My Bulgy poly mags are tight and a little material actually shaved off when I jamed them in - which is fine - much better than having a sloppy mag well.

I always recommend a Romie for a starter AK. Really, for the money they are the best value out there.

Like I said, I really like mine.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

OSOK, when the stock is extended, is there any play (or slop) in it? I'm thinking about adding a underfolder back into the safe and these WASR's fit my budget quite nicely.

I've got a WASR 10/63 Cugir, although mine came with different furniture (Tapco side folder, handguard) instead of wood. I like it like that though. Anyway, it's been great, have about 500 rounds through it so far, always fires great.

People complain about the accuracy of AK's, but to be honest, last Sunday I was at the range and went 21/30 at the 300 yd gong, which is about a 30 inch diameter, using iron sights. At 100 yds, I was rapid-firing a 4-inch group through iron sights, and I was hitting the 12 inch gong at 200 yds 9/10. Maybe I got lucky with mine, but the accuracy seems to be really good.

No FTF/FTE or any other issues. I pull the trigger, it goes bang. The WASRs have a nice soft trigger, too, about 6 1/2 lb pull. No problems with a canted gas tube or any other horror stories you might have heard. Iron sights were already adjusted for windage, and the vert seemed to be right on. Only issue I've had, is that it's too damned fun shooting the gun. At ~21 cents a round, it gets to be expensive fun.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    The ammo is so darn cheap it has piqued my interest.

Perspective is everything I guess. Do yourself a favor and never look at a copy of the Shotgun News from 2002....

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Perspective is everything I guess. Do yourself a favor and never look at a copy of the Shotgun News from 2002....
    Or a J&G Sales catalog from early 2003 or sooner. It was good to get SAR-1s for $289 (compared to the wayyy overpriced $449 basic p.o.s WASRs available these days).

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper_n_training View Post
    Or a J&G Sales catalog from early 2003 or sooner. It was good to get SAR-1s for $289 (compared to the wayyy overpriced $449 basic p.o.s WASRs available these days).
    You overpaid for that SAR-1 !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    You overpaid for that SAR-1 !!!!
    I actually never bought one when they were available as I was more interested in SKS and Mauser rifles at that time. Still kicking myself for that one.
    However, I managed to pick up a SAR-1 from a good friend here in AZ for $300 shortly after the AWB sunset. The barrel was threaded like a pro, he polished the bolt carrier, and he swapped out the original mag release with one from a chinese AK or something like that. It's longer than a standard AK mag release and makes quick mag changes a breeze.
    2 years ago I inherited another SAR-1 from my brother who was an Iraq war vet. We lost him 4 days after his 23rd b-day and everyone felt it was right for me to keep his AK in my safe since he had me put alot of work into it (threaded the barrel, tracked down one of those FSE triangle stocks, put in a Tapco G2 trigger, etc.)

Here are the SAR-1 brothers:

WASR's OK, but you need to INSPECT that puppy when you get it. They are from USED kits, some more than others. Pay attention to the barrel crown and threads ( crome flaking from lands -I've seen that from an 1985 marked trunion, and yet a 1970 that is perfect, so there are no hard and fast rules.)

You may want to consider a SAIGA that you can convert later.
    Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.