Thread: Looking for some AK advice

Looking for some AK advice

A small local gun shop I frequent has this for sale.

AK47 LIKE 1975 GP RIFLE 7.62x39
    GP 1975 Rifle with all black synthetic furniture, new U.S. receiver and
    barrel.
    Comes with two 30 rd. mags., bayonet lug and compensator. Barrel: 16.25"
    with a 1:9.5 twist, Overall: 35.25", Weight: 7.35 lbs. Condition: Excellent.
    I listed this under Firearms-New because of the new receiver and barrel.
    You may purchase 1 to 5 additional mags. for $5 each.
    $495

Can someone interpret this for me? It is an AK right? I know nothing about AK's and I am confused by him saying "like".

Thanks for your help.

These ones arent bad.

and for the deal he's giving on MAGS if you buy it thats a good deal.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    He is being very honest in saying "AK47 like" because nothing of what we can buy is truly an Automatic Kalashnikov, which our news media likes to call an "AK-47" even though the Soviet military never truly called it that.

Everything we are allowed to buy by our wonderful government is only an AK variant, or "AK like" because they are all semi-auto only.

The rifle you describe is a recent conglomerate of US and imported parts so that we the people can have something that looks, feels and in truth does shoot like a real AK, only in semi-auto. Most are very good rifles considering what they had to go through to be sold here.

The fact it is on a new US made receiver is good as most US receivers are very high quality and built to accept the standard AK mag. The imported WASR series enters the country with all Romanian part but has a mag well designed to only accept single stack mags of 10 rounds max. This meets the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. To allow the use of standard AK mags, the mag well is opened up to standard size, and there is where problems arise as sometimes the importer or who ever does the work isn't too careful.

After opening the mag well, the parts count of the imported rifle must be reduced to no more than 10 imported parts, again to keep within the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment.

The deal you found is on the high side of what the GP WASR is being sold for, but if that is the "out the door price" it is not too bad. On the other hand, standard 30 round AK mags for $5 is a bargain!!!!!

The fact you get to inspect the rifle is a big plus as you can make sure the gas and front sight blocks are straight as sometimes they are mounted crooked. A crooked sight block is more a looks thing, but a crooked gas block can cause problems.

Hope the above helps, feel free to ask any questions before you buy, a truly smart thing to do!!!!

HK and nut,

Thanks for the advice.

i would buy as many mags for that price as you can too!!!

Ok, I am new here, and I know this message thread is a week or two old, but I feel I should post a couple of potential corrections here, I recently bought my first AK, it is a seocnd hand tacticoolized WASR 10/63 or so says the markings. However it seems not all of the CAI imports sold under the WASR 10/63 name are the same, at least not in terms of which parts are switched for compliance, etc. From the research I have been able to peace together mine seems to be built on a matching numbers 1985 Romanian "Guarda" semi-auto only gun with original receiver (not milled out with original style metal magazine holding tabs), gas cylinder, barrel, etc. (The 922r US compliance parts seem to have been the tapco magazine, tapco trigger group and muzzle attachment). The previous owner swapped out the grips and stocks for nice black plastic, so now it is even more 922r compliant (if there is such a thing), overall it seems to shoot good which is all I can ask. I paid $600 for it in a FTF sale from a local state gun message board including all the add on toys and a soft sided case, I will try to add a photo.

Ike

Attached Images Attached Images

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group, Isaac-1 !!!

Added your pictures to your post.

Unfortunately due to import restrictions on our second amendment, your WASR was most likely not imported with a standard AK receiver. It was most likely a single stack that who ever opened it up actually did it correctly and didn't leave the tell-tale sharp edges or rough edges. If it was a true Romanian military rifle, it would most likely have the AKM dimples on either side of the receiver over the mag well.

Nice to hear that someone did it right!

thanks for attaching the photos. I will try to post some close up photos of the reciever in a few days (I am leaving to go out of town for a few days in the morning). Hopefully the experts here can help clear up the mystery of what I have. Inside the magwell mine has a pair of metal plates on each side that have an L shaped lip to center the magazines, these are tack welded to each side with 4 welds, you can just barely see 2 of the weld spots below the flashlight in the photo, there are also 3 rivet like points that have tabs that hold the magazine in place, one of these is also seen below the front of the flashlight. Looking closely at the magazine slot in the bottom of the receiver it looks more like the slot was cut as a stamping than with a milling operation only the corners seem to show signs of being cleaned up with some sort of rotorary cutting tool. While looking for photos of WASR mag well conversions online, I read on another site that was generally bashing WASR's that the WASR-10's have a 1 mm thick stamped receriver where better quality AK's from other countries have, using a set of imperial allen wrenches (they were handy) I measured the thickness of my receiver at about 1/16th of an inch which is just over 1.5mm.

Ike

p.s. mine also has an S and an F stamped into it marking the safety positions, the other WASR's I have found with closeup photos online seem to have either S/R or nothing stamped into them, from my research it seems the Guarda semi auto only guns were marked S / F hence part of the reason I suspect mine started life as a Guarda gun along with the matching 1985 numbers and triangle mark.
    Last edited by Isaac-1; 07-10-2011 at 11:47 PM.