Thread: Which AK to Buy?? From What Country?? Best for Collecting??

Which AK to Buy?? From What Country?? Best for Collecting??

If you could buy any AK from a Collectors Stand Point, Which would it be??
    And From What Country?? Down the road, which of these are going to be the hardest to get your hands on and be most collectable??

Bulgarian

Chinese

Egyptian

Hungarian

Polish

Romanian

Russian

Yugoslavian

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Strictly from a collector's standpoint:

Hardest to get your hands on because they were banned from importation by George Bush the First and therefore most likely to retain or go up in value are the Poly Tech rifles from China.

Pre-Bush-ban Norincos would be next on the list.

Post-ban Chinese are good collectibles as well because they too were banned from importation. Just that the pre-ban command a higher value because they weren't affected by Bush1 stupidity.

For a collector, the Maadi ARM imported by Steyr of Secaucus New Jersey, being the only recognized pre-ban Egyptian would also be high on the list of collectibles. Post ban ARMs would be next as they came in with the barrels still threaded, although they had Bush-hole stocks.

Hungarian SA-85M pre-ban, being imported by Kassnar are good collectibles as only a few made it into the country. Later post-bans are liked because of the quality of the FEG receivers.

Russian AK variants only if we had the right to keep and bear arms that was not infringed because importation of AK/AKMs were banned by treaty.

The Romainian SAR 1 is the best shooting AK I have ever owned. It is very accurate and very affordable. I have had several pre bans including Chinese and Hungarian. My SAR 1 out shoots anything else I have had. Hungarian SA-85's have a great finish with blonde wood and are magnificant example of an AK. I am tempted to get a Arsenal Russian converted Saiga. They will go up in value like all that came before.
    Last edited by Wild Bill; 06-08-2011 at 11:23 PM.

romak10/63UF
    My personal Favorite is the Milled Reciver Mac-90 Ak-47 made in china ( 386 ) So far this is still my favorite collectable Ak-47 you can buy the milled recivers shoot better.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Strictly from a collector's standpoint:

Hardest to get your hands on because they were banned from importation by George Bush the First and therefore most likely to retain or go up in value are the Poly Tech rifles from China.

Pre-Bush-ban Norincos would be next on the list.

Post-ban Chinese are good collectibles as well because they too were banned from importation. Just that the pre-ban command a higher value because they weren't affected by Bush1 stupidity.

For a collector, the Maadi ARM imported by Steyr of Secaucus New Jersey, being the only recognized pre-ban Egyptian would also be high on the list of collectibles. Post ban ARMs would be next as they came in with the barrels still threaded, although they had Bush-hole stocks.

Hungarian SA-85M pre-ban, being imported by Kassnar are good collectibles as only a few made it into the country. Later post-bans are liked because of the quality of the FEG receivers.

Russian AK variants only if we had the right to keep and bear arms that was not infringed because importation of AK/AKMs were banned by treaty.
    Thanks for the Replies! I love reading and getting educated on the Rifles I love, AK's. Let's keep it coming and educate me and others more on AK's and the ones that are sure to go UP in value and be the best from a collecting stand point.

For collecting, Poly-tech

For use, Yugoslavian
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

types

a valmet
    a REAL pre ban galil in .308 (ARM gets my vote)
    a REAL pre ban yugo
    a REAL pre ban yugo in .308 (gotta love the RPK style)
    a polytech legend underfolder
    a polytech galil style side folder (although mine never did lock shut)

years ago i saw adds for buthole stock polish ak's i think imported by davar (he also imported two versions of p.83 pistols that i purchased one of each) BUT i have never seen one for sale second hand.
    Norris/Nugent 2012
    We'll kick their ass. Then shoot 'em.

I was just scratching it!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I always thought the Valmet from Finland was da bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I'm not used to seeing you roll with the street vernacular... ;-)
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I'm of the opinion that Valmets and Galils are still the best AK action rifles ever made... Pre-ban Yugos and Polytechs are tied at a really close third. Fifth place is the VEPR in MHO.

wow loaded question.

Everyone has their favorite.

Mine are Bulgarian Milled. Most were imported "post ban" but they are sweet shooters.

Polytech is a popular collectable, especailly the preban versions ( the ones with the spike bayonet).

I honestly think Maadi is overrated, even the better versions. But people pay good money for them.
    Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.