Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Shot Gun Change Up

  1. #1

    Shot Gun Change Up

    Went to Cabella's today and got a new barrel for my shotgun. I took my pheasant busting Remington 870



    and turned it into a home defense shotgun.



    Granted it is not very tactical, but it is just what I wanted. I went from a 28" barrel with RemChoke, to a 20" barrel with rifle sighes and an IC. I am pretty happy with it. Now to start stocking up on the 00 buck.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

    "HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

    I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

    Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

    NRA Endowment Member

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Went to Cabella's today and got a new barrel for my shotgun. I took my pheasant busting Remington 870



    and turned it into a home defense shotgun.



    Granted it is not very tactical, but it is just what I wanted. I went from a 28" barrel with RemChoke, to a 20" barrel with rifle sighes and an IC. I am pretty happy with it. Now to start stocking up on the 00 buck.
    My dad had the same set up for his 1100. More than adequate for home defense.

  3. #3
    Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East of Atlanta GA
    Posts
    10,261
    Looks good. 00 buck = 9 pellets in a 2 3/4" chambered 12ga. #4 buck = 27 pellets for the same chamber. I've always favored the #4 buck because of the pellet count.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Looks good. 00 buck = 9 pellets in a 2 3/4" chambered 12ga. #4 buck = 27 pellets for the same chamber. I've always favored the #4 buck because of the pellet count.
    I have heard the same thing. For 00 you have a .30 caliber pellet, for #4 you have a .25 calibler pellet. I like the idea of 27 chances more than 9 chances of hitting my target. My decision point will be ease of finding, I think. Most places I look carry 00, but not #4.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

    "HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

    I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

    Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

    NRA Endowment Member

  5. #5

    when

    when i pheasant hunt in Iowa i used #4 magnum. i only forgot to pick the lead out once before dinner. wife found it on the first bite. i would soak the breast in salt water over night in the fridge. in the morning i would squeeze out the shot. like i said, i only forgot once.
    Norris/Nugent 2012
    We'll kick their ass. Then shoot 'em.

    I was just scratching it!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ndm86 View Post
    when i pheasant hunt in Iowa i used #4 magnum. i only forgot to pick the lead out once before dinner. wife found it on the first bite. i would soak the breast in salt water over night in the fridge. in the morning i would squeeze out the shot. like i said, i only forgot once.
    I generally hunt pheasant with #6. It is a tad small, but I hunt quail at the same time and #6 works well for both. I have never found any shot in a bird. The shot seems to go right through them. I wonder why the difference.
    Last edited by ltorlo64; 06-26-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: lousy grammar
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

    "HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

    I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

    Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

    NRA Endowment Member

  7. #7
    Senior Member btcave's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Posts
    2,212
    I like it.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

  8. #8

    Looks similar to my Glenfield...

    Glenfield 778 12ga


    After shortening a Marlin 120 24" slug barrel (same gun just different branding) to 18 1/2" and reinstalling the front sight.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder View Post
    Glenfield 778 12ga


    After shortening a Marlin 120 24" slug barrel (same gun just different branding) to 18 1/2" and reinstalling the front sight.
    I would have preferred an 18" or so barrel, but I took what was available. Looks good.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

    "HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

    I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

    Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

    NRA Endowment Member

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I would have preferred an 18" or so barrel, but I took what was available. Looks good.
    I was looking for something to shoot in TSA (Tactical Shooting Assn) matches on a very tight budget. I found the 24" barrel online for $25 + shipping and since I was already shortening it to come in under the TSA 22" maximum barrel length rule I decided to go ahead and take it down to just over NFA minimum while I was at it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
VigLink badge