Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think, can this barrel be turned down on a lathe?

What do you guys think, can this barrel be turned down on a lathe?

Well a little bummed out today, I havent shot my 10/22 for quite some time and when I do im real big on the clean and oil part of owning a gun . I take my rifle out every few months and give it a wipe down with breakfree but today i noticed this green lookin corrosion on my barrel chamber ,once i got the green gummy crap off i noticed there is damage to the barrel pits and what not, now can this be turned on a lathe to remove that imperfection or will it mess up the head spacing on my 10/22?

All i shoot are CCI min mags, the barrel is Majestic Arms 17inch and is 3 years old.

Last edited by sar32; 06-28-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You got it, headspace will be effected. The fowling, probably a mix of carbon and brass looks to be surprisingly hygroscopic, (water absorbing). You turn it on a lathe and it might have to have the chamber refreshed with a reamer.

A thought came to me, if that's what your barrel breech face looks like, what about the bolt?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You got it, headspace will be effected. The fowling, probably a mix of carbon and brass looks to be surprisingly hygroscopic, (water absorbing). You turn it on a lathe and it might have to have the chamber refreshed with a reamer.

A thought came to me, if that's what your barrel breech face looks like, what about the bolt?
    +1

Seems like just recutting the face to remove the pitting and recutting the chamber would be all it would take. Have you tried shooting it?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by sar32 View Post
    i noticed this green lookin corrosion on my barrel chamber ,once i got the green gummy crap off i noticed there is damage to the barrel pits and what not, now can this be turned on a lathe to remove that imperfection or will it mess up the head spacing on my 10/22?
    Is the chamber itself OK? If so, I would leave it alone.

If you face the end of the barrel to remove the pitting, you will also need to remove the same amount from the larger part of the barrel that contacts the receiver, or else you will mess up the headspace. Also, you will need to grind the extractor slot down the same amount to keep the geometry the same.

If possible, just leave it alone.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

I have to agree with Roger. If it doesn't affect function or accuracy, I'd leave it alone.

That 1022 will never take down another helicopter.

Well I just got off the phone with the gunsmith at Majestic Arms and he said it was a result of having a crooked bolt , so for 50.00 im gonna ship off my recevier ,barrel,bolt and hes gonna get everything dialed in . Hes said he can take off 10 thousandths on the barrel .

Question

How is pitting the result of a "crooked bolt"?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    That 1022 will never take down another helicopter.
    If you threw it into the rotor it would.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    How is pitting the result of a "crooked bolt"?
    This /\ plus how can you install a barrel crooked into a 10/22???

the gunsmith said hes seen this before but not this bad, the bolt was somehow making contact with the barrel, ill get some more info from him he had a jersey accent so it was kind of hard to make out ,lol. Gettin ready to ship it off.

Being from the other side of the river, I can understand how hard it is to figure out what a guy from Jersey is trying to tell you!!!!

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Is the chamber itself OK? If so, I would leave it alone.

If you face the end of the barrel to remove the pitting, you will also need to remove the same amount from the larger part of the barrel that contacts the receiver, or else you will mess up the headspace. Also, you will need to grind the extractor slot down the same amount to keep the geometry the same.

If possible, just leave it alone.
    this, only including turning down th mating shoulder, it WILL STILL have to be headspaced.

i fail to see how a crooked bolt could do that, i think your being taken for a ride. if thats all the damage there was, i wouldnt do anything to it. that is not a "functional" area of the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    If you threw it into the rotor it would.
    LOL!

I while back I mentioned something like "even a .22 could wreck a helicopter if it hit the turbine and unbalanced it" (which is true).

Of course, that got morphed into "Krupski thinks a Ruger 10/22 is an anti aircraft gun".

Now, I'll never live it down!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    This /\ plus how can you install a barrel crooked into a 10/22???
    That funky V block in a 10/22 will hold the barrel straight IF the barrel is first carefully seated flat first. If not, the barrel can hang up in the receiver and actually get "stuck" slightly misaligned.

Luckily, having access to a machine shop, I made a retainer for my 10/22 that draws up into the receiver with FOUR screws, 90 degrees apart, so the barrel is held in with uniform force all around the circle.

I did have to mill another slot into the top of the barrel though.... that scared me a little.

Heres a pic of the bolt and the crown of the barrel, Im startin to havin second thoughts now on sending this out for a repair kinda like Krupski and Ak-J and DEth 502 are saying ,just leavin it alone.

You guys probably know more, hows the face of the bolt look?

I just went ahead put it back together,

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    That funky V block in a 10/22 will hold the barrel straight IF the barrel is first carefully seated flat first. If not, the barrel can hang up in the receiver and actually get "stuck" slightly misaligned.

Luckily, having access to a machine shop, I made a retainer for my 10/22 that draws up into the receiver with FOUR screws, 90 degrees apart, so the barrel is held in with uniform force all around the circle.

I did have to mill another slot into the top of the barrel though.... that scared me a little.
    Thanks for pointing this out. I guess I have been lucky with all the 10/22 barrels I have replaced or just worked on. Or I am just that good!!!!!

sar32, after seeing your photos of everything put together, I agree that there is a very good probability that you will never have a problem with your Ruger as long as you are crazy about how you clean it after every shooting session to get the crud out of the eroded areas.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sar32 View Post
    Heres a pic of the bolt and the crown of the barrel, Im startin to havin second thoughts now on sending this out for a repair kinda like Krupski and Ak-J and DEth 502 are saying ,just leavin it alone.

You guys probably know more, hows the face of the bolt look?

How does the bolt face look you ask, just fine is my answer. The bolt is probably harder than the barrel so it would be slower to be attacked by corrosion. Clearly where your blot rests on your barrel is where there is no corrosion. As has been suggested, just make sure you clean the breech face off properly and oil it and you should be fine for our lifetime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast