Thread: 922r compliance question, Mak90 RE: threaded barrel and compensator

922r compliance question, Mak90 RE: threaded barrel and compensator

if I have a US made pistol grip, hand guard and a US made Clip (5 US parts) do I have to put a US made compensator or flash hider on my barrel and tack weld it on? I heard somewhere that I would have to do this to be compliant since I have a threaded barrel and was hoping I heard wrong.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Use a USA made magazine instead of a clip on an AK variant. It will work better.

That said, if you want to use a USA made muzzle device, you do not have to make it permanent. It does not have to be welded or otherwise permanently attached.

PS, WELCOME TO THE GROUP!!!!!!

Thank You, I will try to learn the proper lingo!

Quote Originally Posted by poolrulz View Post
    if I have a US made pistol grip, hand guard and a US made Clip (5 US parts) do I have to put a US made compensator or flash hider on my barrel and tack weld it on? I heard somewhere that I would have to do this to be compliant since I have a threaded barrel and was hoping I heard wrong.
    Welcome to Gunsnet! (I like using that smiley!)

Anyway, let me explain a few things about that absurd law...

First, 922(r) requires your weapon to have 10 or less foreign made parts. The number of US made parts means nothing, nor do US made parts "offset" foreign parts.

For example, if you have 11 foreign parts in a rifle, adding a US made part DOES NOT make it legal. The added US part does not "erase" one foreign part. You still have 11 parts and therefore are not compliant.

Concerning your rifle... a US made pistol grip, a US made front hand guard and US made magazine (it's not a clip) is 5 US parts. But that means nothing to me... how many FOREIGN parts are in the rifle?

When you buy a Kalashnikov (typically a Century SAR-1) the rifle has 15 foreign parts. Century REPLACES the following 5 parts with US made parts:

(1) Pistol grip
    (2) Trigger
    (3) Hammer
    (4) Disconnector
    (5) Gas piston

This brings the foreign parts count to 10 and the rifle is compliant.

Your MAK90, I would assume, was compliant with whatever laws were in effect at the time it was imported and sold. Therefore you don't have to do anything with it.

BUT, if the rifle came with one of those ridiculous "thumbhole" stocks and you want to replace it with a "real" stock, then you open up a whole can of worms because you are making the rifle into a configuration that is different than how it was imported and THIS is when the 922(r) requirement kicks in.

The minute you make a change to the rifle, you then have to be sure you have 10 or less foreign parts in it.

Not knowing what is in your rifle, I have no idea what that number is. Chances are you have a foreign gas piston and a foreign trigger group which makes 14 foreign parts.

I'm hazy on the threaded muzzle thing... was it threaded when you got it or did you thread it?

If your head is spinning by now... join the club. I don't think anyone truly understands the nitty-gritty of that stupid law.... and honestly many people don't care.

If you show me your trigger group, can I tell where it was made? If I show you the trigger group from my rifle, can you tell where it was made?

See what I mean?

Well I have a headache now... maybe someone else can shed some light on it for you.

And once again, welcome to Gunsnet. I think you'll like it here!

-- Roger
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    This might help make it a bit easier. Uncheck the parts you have on the rifle that are NOT imported parts or not present on the rifle to begin with (muzzle device,etc) and watch the score at the bottom of the page.

922(r) Worksheet for AK-47 Builds

Yes it's a stamped mak90 with a thumbhole stock and the bayonet lug cut off. It has some tabs covering a hole where an underfolder was supposed to be installed. It has a double hook trigger Barrel was threaded when i got it used in 1999 from private party who owned pawn shop that went out of business. I had seen it in the pawn shop for a few years before it went under. I took it to a local gun dealer who said it did not look like it had ever been fired. It's been in a gun case in my closet eversince. I really figured all the parts were non-US but I have no Idea. the reciever looks like the one in this video from youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nFsbep5N2I

Markings GLNIC LA CA, MADE IN CHINA BY NORINCO, all numbers match

Thanks

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You are correct, the Mak 90 is all Chinese, no US made parts on it.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    So getting back to your original question, if you use a US made pistol grip, handguards, a US made mag, and a US made muzzle device you would be legal in your conversion.

Since it is one of the MAK-90s that in a pre-Bush1 life was a Norinco 56S-1 you can cut the rivet that holds the cover plates over the folder holes, and install a folding stock and still be legal with 922(r) and Title 27 CFR 478.39 as your MAK-90 would have exactly 10 imported parts with the US mag installed.

Remember, if you accidently install a standard AK mag, you will then have 13 imported parts on your rifle, and will cause the sun to explode ending all life as we know it. If you are lucky and the sun doesn't let go, your rifle will turn from an Angelic Bush1 loving thing to an evil baby killing device.

I know there are stupid rules (laws) but will someone at ATF kindly admit that this one is really a stretch of "yougoddabekiddingme!!!"""!!!! I know the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, dear ATF, so where does the parts count pass constitutionality???

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    So getting back to your original question, if you use a US made pistol grip, handguards, a US made mag, and a US made muzzle device you would be legal in your conversion.

Since it is one of the MAK-90s that in a pre-Bush1 life was a Norinco 56S-1 you can cut the rivet that holds the cover plates over the folder holes, and install a folding stock and still be legal with 922(r) and Title 27 CFR 478.39 as your MAK-90 would have exactly 10 imported parts with the US mag installed.

Remember, if you accidently install a standard AK mag, you will then have 13 imported parts on your rifle, and will cause the sun to explode ending all life as we know it. If you are lucky and the sun doesn't let go, your rifle will turn from an Angelic Bush1 loving thing to an evil baby killing device.

I know there are stupid rules (laws) but will someone at ATF kindly admit that this one is really a stretch of "yougoddabekiddingme!!!"""!!!! I know the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, dear ATF, so where does the parts count pass constitutionality???
    I was going to mention that it's generally not good to use the magazine to get 922(r) compliance because it limits the person to using only certain mags.

Funny thing is, a regular mag has 3 countable parts while the "evil baby killing assault drum" only has two!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!