Thread: Draco Pistol Question

Draco Pistol Question

I have a Draco AK Pistol on Backorder.
    How much trouble would it be to put an Underfolder stock on it?
    I know you need to pay the $200 dollar tax to put the stock on and make it an SBR. But what all is involved in putting a Underfolder stock on the pistol? I have read where the AK Pistols have the Underfolder receivers on them, just not drilled out.
    Here is what I'm getting

This is what I want it to look like:

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

Hello, it's like this. I've built two Polish Underfolder AK weapons so I know my way around the folder system. The folder has a special trunion in the rear. It has a large hole for a pivot pin that is the center of the underfolder stock. If a Draco has that it doesn't look like it externally. You will be able to tell once you get your Draco and see the rear trunion with the top cover off. If it is there then the trunion serves as your template for how to drill out the receiver to accept the rivets and the center stock pivot. If not you would have to take out the old trunion and then drill and rivet in the proper under folder trunion.

If you don't have a rivet press, bucking plates and a means to mash the rivets it will be next to impossible to do the job right. I suppose you could drill and tap and do it as a screw build. Being a traditionalist when it comes to an AK type weapon I am repelled by the notion of using button head cap screws in place of rivets. I wouldn't go there.

Form 1, permission By BATFE to build it as an SBR and yes the $200 buck tax stamp, two sets of finger prints, two passport sized frontal mug shots (photos) to attach to the paper work. Then wait on the tax stamp. Since you would be the maker of it as an
    SBR you will need to engrave your name and address, (city and state) on the weapon.

I believe what you are showing here is a Romanian folder, the tubes are round and it angles downward more. I prefer the more modern version like is used on a Polish folder as the rails of the stock are suqred off and it extends with less drop, almost parallel to the bore line.

My last folder build, a Polish kit.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 07-04-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I wish my Draco had the underfolder trunnion.

I'll have to use an ACE stock or swap out the rear trunnionm which I'm unequipped to handle myself.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Same thing I'm going to do with mine.

the 100 day wait is the hardest part.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Hello, it's like this. I've built two Polish Underfolder AK weapons so I know my way around the folder system. The folder has a special trunion in the rear. It has a large hole for a pivot pin that is the center of the underfolder stock. If a Draco has that it doesn't look like it externally. You will be able to tell once you get your Draco and see the rear trunion with the top cover off. If it is there then the trunion serves as your template for how to drill out the receiver to accept the rivets and the center stock pivot. If not you would have to take out the old trunion and then drill and rivet in the proper under folder trunion.

If you don't have a rivet press, bucking plates and a means to mash the rivets it will be next to impossible to do the job right. I suppose you could drill and tap and do it as a screw build. Being a traditionalist when it comes to an AK type weapon I am repelled by the notion of using button head cap screws in place of rivets. I wouldn't go there.

Form 1, permission By BATFE to build it as an SBR and yes the $200 buck tax stamp, two sets of finger prints, two passport sized frontal mug shots (photos) to attach to the paper work. Then wait on the tax stamp. Since you would be the maker of it as an
    SBR you will need to engrave your name and address, (city and state) on the weapon.

I believe what you are showing here is a Romanian folder, the tubes are round and it angles downward more. I prefer the more modern version like is used on a Polish folder as the rails of the stock are suqred off and it extends with less drop, almost parallel to the bore line.

My last folder build, a Polish kit.
    I guess the key to the underfolder is finding a Draco with the Underfolder trunion?
    I have a friend that has a machine shop, but I think it would be hard to press the rivets without the special press it takes?

swap the rear trunnion.

IF you have to gently plug weld the holes or JB weld.

rear rivets can be done by hand and a bolt cutter tool.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 68rs327 View Post
    I guess the key to the underfolder is finding a Draco with the Underfolder trunion?
    I have a friend that has a machine shop, but I think it would be hard to press the rivets without the special press it takes?
    http://ak-builder.com/index.php?disp...ategory_id=187 Follow link. Doing a rivet proprely isn't that difficult. I've seen the bolt cutter tools, wasn't impressed as it is very difficult to hold the rivet head against the receiver properly. If you don't hold the head of the rivet tight against the receiver you will get a gap under the head of the rivet and it will look like shit. At the link you will see a rivet pressing jig. What it does is hold the receiver and rivet tight together so that the arm with the anvil on the end of it can mash the shank of the rivet to flare it properly. You can over cursh a rivet. If you crush it thin then it might work loose in time. I would mash my rivet shanks just enough to allow parts to move past them for clearance. A 12 ton bottle jack press can be used for easy rivet smashing that is nice and slow and controlled and fairly quiet. However, before I got a press I was able to use a 2.5 LB. black smiths hammer to whack the ram on the rivet jig device. Depending on how hard you strike the ram you might need 3 or you might need 30 hits to smash the rivet shank properly.

One think you need is a bucking plate. This is a simple 1/4" or slightly thicker bit of steel that has a concave depression milled into it. The dome shaped rivet head goes in the bowl shaped depression. It's purpose is so that the rivet head which is a dome shape does not get flattened. Flattened rivet heads is another amature hour sign of they didn't know wtf they were doing. Another teltale is a ring in the rivet head. This comes from having the bowl shapped pocket too small for the diameter of the rivet head. The concave depression in the bucking plate should be bigger slightly than the diameter of the rivet so you don't leave a ring around the rivet head. Since you have a buddy with a machine shop he may be able to make some of this stuff like a bucking plate. I made mine with a ball end mill. Rivets it seems don't match most inch or metric diameters. I ended up spinning the rivets in an electric drill and using a fine file to reduce the diameter of the rivets to be just slightly smaller than the concave pockets the ball end mills cut. This way, no rings in the rivet heads.