Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home defense weapon for elderly woman

Home defense weapon for elderly woman

My step dad passed away a little over a year ago. He had a Mossberg 20 ga that I have been trying to get my mom familiar with. She hasn't taken too well to it. I have been thinking about what would be the best weapon for her. Lately, I have been considering a carbine, like the Sub 2000 in 40 cal or the Hi Point, in either 40 or 45. I am kind of leaning towards the Hi Point because I could put a laser on it. Then all she has to do is point and shoot. Any ideas or comments?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I would strongly suggest a Henry 22LR levergun.

Seriously.

They are so easy to manipulate - mostly gross motor movement which is perfect for the elderly.

Don't worry about the chambering - just load some CCI Velocitors for her.

She won't be at all intimidated by it and will find it very easy to cycle and shoot. No recoil and low muzzle blast will make it something she will be likely to use.

Price is right too!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

A big .357 to shoot .38's out of.

You don't want to discourage her with some kind of futuristic laser gun.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I would strongly suggest a Henry 22LR levergun.

Seriously.

They are so easy to manipulate - mostly gross motor movement which is perfect for the elderly.

Don't worry about the chambering - just load some CCI Velocitors for her.

She won't be at all intimidated by it and will find it very easy to cycle and shoot. No recoil and low muzzle blast will make it something she will be likely to use.

Price is right too!
    Interesting. I have always felt the best defensive cartridge is the biggest one you can reliably hit the target with. I would rather hit the bad guy with a 22 than miss him with a 44. She hasn't been able to adequately master the pump. That is why I was leaning towards the carbines. I'm not sure how well she would master the lever action, although I would love a lever 22!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post

That was my second choice Funk. The problem I saw is that she is 72 years old. She hasn't shot much in her lifetime. She doesn't seem to like it enough to put in the time to develop the skill to put the shot on target reliably. Also, I am a little concerned about a 38's effectiveness with non +p ammo. With +p I am concerned with recoil as she is recoil sensitive. Those were some of my considerations that led me to the carbine.
    Last edited by Viking350; 07-09-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    The problem I saw that that is she is 72 years old. She hasn't shot much in her lifetime. She doesn't seem to like it enough to put in the time to develop the skill to put the shot on target reliably.
    If you can get her into shooting now that's cool, but if she actually was interested that much sometime during 7 decades she would've learned it, so i would allways keep that in the back of your mind so you don't push it too hard and push her away from it. In the bigger picture you just want something she will pick up and put a hole in things with if she's threatened. At her age it can't be a hand or shoulder fired cannon. Nothing wrong with a 38 or even a 22 for that. 22 may be small but it can still do damage and send someone running for the door in a fit of self preservation. I would'nt go high tech uber tactical either. It'll probably put her off. Keep it simple.
    Last edited by stinker; 07-09-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stinker View Post
    If you can get her into shooting now that's cool, but if she actually was interested that much sometime during 7 decades she would've learned it, so i would allways keep that in the back of your mind so you don't push it too hard and push her away from it. In the bigger picture you just want something she will pick up and put a hole in things with if she's threatened. At her age it can't be a hand or shoulder fired cannon. Nothing wrong with a 38 or even a 22 for that. 22 may be small but it can still do damage and send someone running for the door in a fit of self preservation. I would'nt go high tech uber tactical either. It'll probably put her off. Keep it simple.
    I agree. She brought up the gun issue to me. She doesn't mind going shooting once in a while, but with the shotgun, she couldn't hit a 5 gallon bucket from around 30 ft. I know that will improve with practice, but I am afraid she will give up before she develops the skill. That was my reasoning for the carbine with laser. Put the dot on the target and squeeze.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I think the question you have to ask first is would she be able to pull the trigger on someone who intended to harm her. Even if she becomes proficient with her gun of choice its not going to do a lot of good if she isn't willing to kill someone if she should need to.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I think the question you have to ask first is would she be able to pull the trigger on someone who intended to harm her. Even if she becomes proficient with her gun of choice its not going to do a lot of good if she isn't willing to kill someone if she should need to.
    I have had that discussion with her and she says she would shoot to kill if necessary.

Another thing to consider in choosing any defense weapon is an actual situation. take a walk through the house and look at the possible distance that a situation could occur. most average houses have rooms only about 12x16 or so (give or take). unless your loved one lives in a gymnasium, the shots will be very close range. probably not enough room for more than one or two rounds if the "bad guy" is running at you. the "performance" of the round is not as crucial as accuracy and confidence with the weapon. before you all start yelling i'll say this. my choice for any single projectile ammo would be a defensive type bullet like a hollow point. most rounds are not going to bleed off that much muzzle velocity at the distance we're talking about. a "slower" round loaded with a bullet designed to open up at lower velocity will dump all of it's energy into the target instantly. that's why i have no problem carrying a .45ACP with hornady XTP's. i'm not planning on shooting an elephant. plus in most states you must be very careful shooting past 20 feet. i'm not kidding! sounds kinda close, but at that distance they figure your life is not threatened because you should have an escape route. gun control regs are great huh!? also with the 20ga, what ammo are you practicing with? buck shot is probably a little harsh. i would suggest 6 or 8 shot in a low brass "bird" cartridge. lots of energy close but won't go through the neighbor's house. like Stinker said... keep it simple. maybe a side-by-side 20ga with 18-20" barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by hogmister View Post
    Another thing to consider in choosing any defense weapon is an actual situation. take a walk through the house and look at the possible distance that a situation could occur. most average houses have rooms only about 12x16 or so (give or take). unless your loved one lives in a gymnasium, the shots will be very close range. probably not enough room for more than one or two rounds if the "bad guy" is running at you. the "performance" of the round is not as crucial as accuracy and confidence with the weapon. before you all start yelling i'll say this. my choice for any single projectile ammo would be a defensive type bullet like a hollow point. most rounds are not going to bleed off that much muzzle velocity at the distance we're talking about. a "slower" round loaded with a bullet designed to open up at lower velocity will dump all of it's energy into the target instantly. that's why i have no problem carrying a .45ACP with hornady XTP's. i'm not planning on shooting an elephant. plus in most states you must be very careful shooting past 20 feet. i'm not kidding! sounds kinda close, but at that distance they figure your life is not threatened because you should have an escape route. gun control regs are great huh!? also with the 20ga, what ammo are you practicing with? buck shot is probably a little harsh. i would suggest 6 or 8 shot in a low brass "bird" cartridge. lots of energy close but won't go through the neighbor's house. like Stinker said... keep it simple. maybe a side-by-side 20ga with 18-20" barrels?
    While I'm not a proponent of bird shot for self defense, we were using no. 7 1/2 shot shells for practice. Nice and cheap at wally world. I'm more concerned with her ability to place the shot rather than working the action. I'm not sure a sxs would make her more accurate than a pump.

Viking350, it's not a matter of accuracy with a sxs or a pump. it's ease of operation. no pump but still two rounds at the ready. you could even go with a .410. try shooting the 20ga with the 7 1/2 shot at a milk jug full of water at about 7ft. i think you'll be impressed. yeah it's a shotgun, but don't forget to aim. the shot column is still close to bore size at that range. don't forget the safety glasses!

Basically what hogmister said but I say get away from the shotgun.
    She may not ever use a weapon if she doesn't like it, worrys about the damage to her house it may do, or is scared of it.
    Get her a pistol, something that is easy to use (load, cock) and doesn't scare or deafen her when used.

I say something like the Beretta Tomcat.

You can get them in .22 and .32.
    Its a DA/SA.
    Loading is very easy for elderly. YOU can load the mag for her. Keep it in the gun.
    The barrel tips up so she can leave it up and empty and if the gun is ever needed all she needs to do is load the barrel, shut the barrel, and pull the trigger.
    It holds 7rds and for a little while Beretta was selling them with the Chrimson Trace grips.

BISHOP

Ive bought my wife an assortment of steel framed 38 and 357 magnum revolvers (well there is one 642 she carries). I think she would qualify as an elderly lady.
    Last edited by mriddick; 07-09-2011 at 04:14 PM.

don't let her hear that.

Question

I don't know much when it comes to shotguns, but how come no one ever mentions the 28ga ?

It's always either the 20 or the .410 ?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

you know i was going to suggest the 28ga, but they seem more geared toward trap and skeet or dove hunting. most new guns i have seen in 28ga are o/u and some pumps. plus the ammo is more pricey with fewer options as far as loadings. i like 12ga myself. lots of options and decent prices. just my two cents.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I have a fair amount of experience with elderly ladies - That is, I've known several (oh Lord) - OK let me try this again, I've been acquainted with several - there, that's what I mean to say

The thing is, you want something that can be manipulated with "gross motor skills" as the fine motor skills deteriorate with age.

Something that requires virtually no strength to operatate. Something very light with no recoil and is easty to "point shoot" with as the eyesight sucks too.

You need to think of the reality of the situation for the operator.

There is no other firearm that I can think of that qualifies under these criteria better than the Henry .22 levergun.

I recommend that over a say a 10-22 because they can jam. And that presents a problem. The Henry doesn't tend to jam and if it does, you just cycle it again and go on. Much less possibility of problems.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 Crash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post

+1
    It's as simple as it gets and can be stored long term and function when it's needed. I find most women store it someplace but seem to forget about until years later. A revolver can be left loaded and you don't have to be concerned with a mag losing tension or if there is a round in the chamber. I've even known some women that didn't have the strength to jack the slide or couldn't grasp the smaller cartridges because of arthritis and stuff. Just a few things to consider with an elderly woman.

how about a compromise. i think marlin makes the .410/.45LC lever action!? easy to handle, light, minimal recoil. thoughts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast