Thread: Re-Crown an SKS?

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Re-Crown an SKS?

I've done it on an M1 Garand (had it done actually). Seemed to make a difference. Had an AR that wouldn't group half as good as my Tula regardless of ammo...sent it back to the manufacturer and they re-crowned it free of charge and it went from 6-8" groups at 100 to 2" groups. Nice!

Have a couple well used SKS's with ok muzzle erosion #'s but beat up crowns. So...anyone have any opinions on re-crowning an SKS?

I'm not even sure if there is a standard .30 cal crowning tool or if its a firearm specific thing.

It does make a difference no doubt. I have a crowning kit that I bought from Brownells but not sure you would be willing to spend that kind of scratch. It doesn't take that long to completely recrown one if you have the right tools. About 10 minutes

If it's not too bad you can take some cutting compound and a slug of brass in a cordless drill and make it better. Put the brass rod in your drill and dip it into the cutting compound, hold the brass rod as near vertical as possible and go slow for about 10 seconds in one direction and then reverse it for about 10 seconds.

I think that I would be interested in the results if you do it, I have one that may benifit from this as well.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Found a reference to cleaning up the crown on an M1 Garand. Not exactly the re-crowning tool I saw the CMP armorer use but this might be all I need.

From the CMP forums:

Works very well. I use a 1" long brass round head 3/16" shank screw. With fine valve grinding compound. Use a slower speed and dont go at it straight on. Kind of work it in a circular motion. Do a little bit and check you do not want to go too deep with it.

I think I'll give it a shot...pardon the pun.

let us know

Please let us know how you make out!

Quote Originally Posted by JetFuelBurner View Post
    I've done it on an M1 Garand (had it done actually). Seemed to make a difference. Had an AR that wouldn't group half as good as my Tula regardless of ammo...sent it back to the manufacturer and they re-crowned it free of charge and it went from 6-8" groups at 100 to 2" groups. Nice!

Have a couple well used SKS's with ok muzzle erosion #'s but beat up crowns. So...anyone have any opinions on re-crowning an SKS?

I'm not even sure if there is a standard .30 cal crowning tool or if its a firearm specific thing.
    Midway sells the tools you need. (My bad, it's Brownells, not Midway)
    I re-crowned my M59/66A1 after removing all the stuff associated with the grenade launcher, which I did by cutting off the barrel just in front of the front sight. Looks much like a Russian now. Barrel length now 19".
    Last edited by Doug76; 07-14-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Here's an example of a cheep crowning job: http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/muzzle/mz.html