Thread: AR NFA question

AR NFA question

I have seen some cool lower receivers for sale that have the burst and auto position. I was under the impression that we were not allowed to manufacture a NFA item in any way form or fashion even with the proper paperwork here in the "land of the free"?

Also on a side note, I have seen people using 308 suppressors on 5.56 ARs. How is this possible?

There are a lot of registered drop in sears out there, which can be installed into new semi lowers, and their owners often remark the lower.

For that matter, you can have your semi lower marked auto or burst if you want, even though it doesn't really function that way.

If a suppressor has a large enough freebore to pass a .308 safely, and some do, there's no reason it couldn't be used on a .308 firearm. Tight tolerances and barrel flex might lead to baffle strikes or worse, but hey, it's their can to use or abuse if they want. I've used .308 cans with 9mm before with no ill effects.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Some manufacturers actually intend for their 7.62 cans to be usable on a 5.56. My YHM Phantom 7.62 will mount on both the YHM 7.62 and 5.56 QD mounts. The Phantom 5.56 will only mount on the YHM 5.56 QD mount. I use my Phantom 7.62 on a DPMS LR-308T, a Sig 556, and an AR.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

So you do the paperwork and have the sear installed? If I wanted say safe/semi/burst, do you mean the selector switch wouldnt work like that of a M16A2?

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    So you do the paperwork and have the sear installed? If I wanted say safe/semi/burst, do you mean the selector switch wouldnt work like that of a M16A2?
    yea once it's transferred to you Just drop it in. You'll need the associated M16 FCG parts too.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    It will work exactly like that. registered drop-in sears are in the $12,000 range right now, though.

Holy shit, that's one expensive piece of scrap

Saw a colt full auto in a Tucson shop last week for $12,500. Seems a much better deal than the sear.

$12000...

Is it just me or does this look like something anyone with bassic skills in a metal shop could make?
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo GED; 04-28-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    $1200...

Is it just me or does this look like something anyone with bassic skills in a metal shop could make?
    Yup, would take me about 30 minutes but I am a good law abiding citizen
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    $1200...

Who said it was complex. It is controlled. DIY = $250,000 buck fine and up to 10 years in club Fed, loss of 2nd Amendment rights for all time. As a dealer I had an old fart, (probably BATFE) offer to sell me a new one in the original packaging for $100 bucks. I asked him if it had the NFA paper, deer in the headlights stare followed. I said, "no thanks, that thing is a Felony if not registered and can only be destroyed at this time in the world, it can't be registered now since May of 1986".

I further adivised him to take it and toss it in the nearest large body of water and never look back.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 04-28-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    It is controlled. DIY = $250,000 buck fine and up to 10 years in club Fed, loss of 2nd Amendment rights for all time.
    When you put it that way $12000 sounds like a pretty good deal.

what sucks is if they ever opened up the registry these things would probably sell for under a hundred bucks plus your $200 NFA tax.

Everyone and their uncle would have one