Thread: Zastava M76 flash hider threads

Contributor 05/2012

Zastava M76 flash hider threads

Hey guys,does anyone know the thread size on the outside of the M76 flashhider?It is an interruped,lefthand,4 land,approx 3/4" thread,just in front ofthe sight post.Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Welcome to the board.

I have a M76 but do not know the thread size and I'm 5000 miles from the rifle... PM "Gunsmoke" he may know...

Contributor 05/2012

Hey guys,isn't there someone out there that has or knows someone that has an m76 and is capable/talented enough with the proper machinist tools to measure the size of the threads?Anybody?I am not a machinist and I don't have the tools to do it.Anybody?Somebody?

Contributor 05/2012

Guys...this is it? Thousands of GUN guys on this site...machinist's..gun builders...no one is able to check on this and come up with an answer? Is there a simple enough way for me to do this myself? Is there a gauge that I can buy on ebay that will tell me the thread size on this? Anybody? Put me in the right direction..

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

Hey automan, I called around some of the bigger gun stores around town, even some of the smaller ones. I talked to 4 different gun smiths and each one said because they have never had to work on one, they couldnt tell me the thread size. One answer I did receive over and over was to contact Century and ask them as most people don't even know if these rifles are coming with original barrels or not.

So, the only help I can offer you is to say contact Century and hope to get ahold of a sober monkey who knows what he/she is talking about. Sorry I couldn't be of more use.

Also, have you tried contacting the member "Gunsmoke" yet? He knows his way around Drag's and PSL's, but im not too sure if he would be of any help on the M76 rifle?

Contributor 05/2012

Thank you,I will message gunsmoke now.You are the 2nd one to tell me to contact him.
    Also,as on my 1st post with the picture,you can see the threads are NOT on the barrel,they are on the flash hider/sight post assembly itself.
    I have recently purchased a M76 kit with receiver from Assault Weapons of Ohio and in one of my emails to Chris,I asked if she could ask the guys in the back that build the M76's if they know the thread size.I have not as of yet gotten an answer back. I will try to hit her again for info.
    Thanks

Contributor 05/2012

It's me again..I cannot figure out how to get a pm to "Gunsmoke",If you are reading this,please contact me and I will answer you back. Thanks

I'll have to see if I even have thread guages that big... I'm in at least the same state as the rifle now... should be home in a day or two...

Contributor 05/2012

COOL! That's what I'm talkin about!!

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

if your looking to have something engage those threads, like a suppressor, youll need to know more than the thread pitch.

it looks like the tops of the threads are flattened out pretty good, so you ll have to use the 3wire method to get the thread diameter, and that may or may not need to be adjusted for the thread form, if its not a 60* thread.

deth, what's a three wire method?

Thread cut angle off 90º? Or off 0º?

(BTW, numlock on and hold down "ALT" and type "0186" = º)
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 07-29-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Contributor 05/2012

...cut and paste" 3wire method to get the thread diameter" to go to a page to understand what this means.I am gonna order a "machinery's handbook" Don't know if a $100.00 book will help me,but I just might learn something...

WOW!

One of those three wire kits is nearly $2000!

I sounds like it would cost $400 or more just to set up to measure the FH threads by that method. If that is what it would take you might be better off taking it to a machine shop and paying a few bucks for them to measure it.

I haven't found anything I have over 13mm or 1/2" in a standard el-cheapo thread gauge.

Edit: BTW, I've never been to a machine shop yet that did not have at least a couple of "gun guys" working there. Might be a good contact in the long run.
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 07-29-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

the machinereys handbook is a machinistr reference. best book ever if you do any machining. however, i doubt it would be worth the investment for you.

picture it this way. if you take a 1" nc bolt, with 8 tpi, and turn it down till half the threads are gone. you STILL HAVE a 1"x8tpi thread pattern on it, but measuring the bolt, it WILL NOT BE one inch anymore.

like i said, in the pic, it looks like the tops of those threads are flattened pretty good.

teh 3 wire method uses wires that sit in the thread grooves to calculate the thread pitch without the actual od of the part. you should need thousands of $$ of special tools, a few known diam wires and a micrometer (and a calculator) is all thats needed. id check victor machinerey exchange (theyre on teh net if you do a search) they ought to have a basic set for well under $100. id guess closer to $20

Contributor 05/2012

From Victor Machinery:

Thread Measuring Wire Set
    Measure all threads from 3 to 48 threads per inch. 48 wires - 16 different sizes. Furnished with plastic case and chart for proper size and measurements over wires.
    Quantity Price Model Description

$11.50 GA-TW16 Thread Measuring Wire Set

I tried to upload a picture,but once again I am confused and can't do it.The pic wouldn't even cut and paste either.I just bought it online along with 3 different sets of thread gauges.

Forum Administrator

I'm not telling you!!

** Contributor 01/2013 **

I looked closely at my M76. I can't see any threads holding the flash hider on. It appears to be all one piece with the front sight. AFAIK, both the barrel and receiver are US made. It's too bad because I would rather have a muzzle brake, like an AK-74 style one.

Just askin, I do not have a clue but can't you punch out the pins and the whole assembly come off?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Yes.

** Contributor 01/2013 **

Cool Threads for silencer

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    if your looking to have something engage those threads, like a suppressor, youll need to know more than the thread pitch.

it looks like the tops of the threads are flattened out pretty good, so you ll have to use the 3wire method to get the thread diameter, and that may or may not need to be adjusted for the thread form, if its not a 60* thread.
    They are for a suppressor. I will try to upload the picture. It's NOT my gun, however.

VI*VICTVS