Thread: Older series mini

Older series mini

A guy at work has one that is unfired, just a std stainless mini ranch rifle (wood stock) with rings, paperwork and 5rd mag (no box). He's wanting $425 which seems fair. I had a mini a long time ago, it wasn't very accurate but I never had an issue with reliability.

I can't say it excites me much but it does seem like a good deal and I'd be helping a co worker out. So would you buy it?

that seems like an ok deal,esp. helpin dude out

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    A guy at work has one that is unfired, just a std stainless mini ranch rifle (wood stock) with rings, paperwork and 5rd mag (no box). He's wanting $425 which seems fair. I had a mini a long time ago, it wasn't very accurate but I never had an issue with reliability.

I can't say it excites me much but it does seem like a good deal and I'd be helping a co worker out. So would you buy it?
    Whew! For a moment I thought you were considering buying a pre 180 series rifle. Though rare, it also means that NO accessories (other than a mag) will work on it. But if it's a RANCH RIFLE, that's a mid 1980s gun. $425 is a great price if it's in good condition. The classic Mini-14s are sought after by those who don't like the new looks (I being one of them).

The mini deal might still happen at some point although for now my unease with a mini buy we came up with a compromise of sorts. I can report I'm now the owner of a Sear rebranded Winchester 94 for $200, it's a pretty clean 30-30 and I'm happier with it then I would of been with the mini. I need to take some pictures and research when it was made but over all it's a nice loking rifle, even if it does has the Sear's styling (ungodly long black fore end cap, nonhooded front sight, odd barrel bands, etc...).

I remember a time when these were sought after to do pistol caliber conversions (44 mag or 45LC was a pretty easy conversion if I remember right) so who knows how it will turn out in the long run. My last 30-30 was a Marlin I gave my son about 2 years ago right before one of his deployments, before that I had a Winchester 94 I just about wore out before I sold it for $275. If nothing else it'll make a good deer rifle for the house in KY.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    The mini deal might still happen at some point although for now my unease with a mini buy we came up with a compromise of sorts. I can report I'm now the owner of a Sear rebranded Winchester 94 for $200, it's a pretty clean 30-30 and I'm happier with it then I would of been with the mini. I need to take some pictures and research when it was made but over all it's a nice loking rifle, even if it does has the Sear's styling (ungodly long black fore end cap, nonhooded front sight, odd barrel bands, etc...).

I remember a time when these were sought after to do pistol caliber conversions (44 mag or 45LC was a pretty easy conversion if I remember right) so who knows how it will turn out in the long run. My last 30-30 was a Marlin I gave my son about 2 years ago right before one of his deployments, before that I had a Winchester 94 I just about wore out before I sold it for $275. If nothing else it'll make a good deer rifle for the house in KY.
    Those older wooden stocks just might hold up a lot better to beating your deer to death than the newer ones have.

p.s. Great deal on that Sears gun!

Shame ar's don't go for that much, considering how many are made every day. They have to outnumber the Rugers by a few million.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Those older wooden stocks just might hold up a lot better to beating your deer to death than the newer ones have.

p.s. Great deal on that Sears gun!
    The deer here got really thick skulls, it's takes quite a hit to put one down