Thread: New to me Sears 54 (Winchester 94) 30-30

New to me Sears 54 (Winchester 94) 30-30

Here's the Sears model 54 I bought today, I'd say it's 98 or so % condition, serial number is 31XXX. It's basically a rebranded Winchester 94 made for sears. Anyone have an idea when it was made? I paid $200 for it and I'm pleased with it and it's condition, I think it will make a good deer rifle.

price is right

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Probably in the 50's. Looks like a pre-64 reciever there. The forend is different, isn't it?

Should be a good shooter and plenty for deer. I like Remington Core-locts - 170's or handloads with Speer 170's.

Also, you might consider putting a peep sight on it. It's drilled and tap'd for one - the Williams fool proof models are economical and work well. I prefer the aperture sight myself as my eyes are starting to reject the mid-barrel mounted type.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 07-18-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Beautiful rifle. I'd leave it "stock," if it were mine. It's value (which may not be much now) won't go down if it's stock. Anyway, it looks great just as it is.

Nice score.

It is in really nice shape, however I keep looking at it and keep thinking wouldn't it be cooler as a trapper If I did so it would stay in 30-30, I'm not interested in doing a caliber change. That front end just look odd to me with the short mag tube, ramp front sight and all....I'd love to change it over to more Winchester looking then what Sears thought was modern.

Looks like it has a few extra holes on the left side. Has it been tapped for a scope.

I think the drilling the was done at the factory but it's drilled for a side scope mount and receiver sight (6 extra holes). How they missed drilling it for a saddle ring I'll never know, it seems the idea was to put as many holes in the side as they could and they missed that one...

PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Sears used their own serial numbering system on firearms they sold. I have never been able to find any sort of reference that allows you to know the year of manufacture for any Sears firearm.

Steve
    Last edited by Gunreference1; 07-18-2011 at 07:28 PM.
    After today, it's all historical.