Thread: Slug day

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Slug day

Yesterday was going to be a 100 yard day but 102 degrees and 20 mph winds made me stay inside the with the A/C. Today it only got up to 98 and the winds barely got up to 15 mph gusts and 10 mph average so I decided to take advantage of the nicer weather and shoot a little slug because I had to shoot something.

Not exactly black rifle or tactical shotgun but 2 loads of shot at water jugs at 25 yards and 3 slugs at 50 yards with rifle sights is tactical enough for me.

I wasn't quite beat to death yet so back to my slugs but in my long legged 20 gauge that the 12 gauge magnum boys like to make fun of. I should have brought it out when I took the 12 gauge out because the transition from the cool dry air of the house to hot and humid fogged up my scope immediately, I had two aimed shots and then it was center the dark gray spot in the middle of the light gray haze for the last 3 shots but never underestimate the old 20.

By the time I got the guns to the shop for cleaning and everything else put away I was feeling like a herd of cows had decided to lay down to rest in the middle of my chest. Going out to shoot might not have been my best move today but a shooters gotta do what a shooters gotta do.

Tomorrow its only supposed to go up to 92, maybe I will get to my 100 yard line yet. I have a lot of guns that need the exercise. Just need to get out before the predicted thunder storms.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

I was feeling like a herd of cows had decided to lay down to rest in the middle of my chest
    You be careful OG, that describes a Heart Attack! I think today you should take a trip to your Doc and skip the shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You be careful OG, that describes a Heart Attack! I think today you should take a trip to your Doc and skip the shooting.
    agreed.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I agree with Sheutz and abpt1, get yourself to a doctor to make sure you are alright. I am looking forward to many more helpful shooting tips and matches where you beat the tar out of me.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Were going to get real sad around here if we don't hear back from you Old Grump. You got to get the most out of that lifetime membership you paid for.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Exclamation

This isn't looking good, he hasn't posted since 12:30 just after midnight today, in otherwords during his normal day time posting routine he hasn't posted at all. Anybody know him well enough to phone him?

Question

Bump! Anybody got his phone number?

Bump! Anybody got his phone number?
    I emailed him and sent a msg on FB ...

Hope your ok OG !

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

This isn't looking good, he hasn't posted since 12:30 just after midnight today, in otherwords during his normal day time posting routine he hasn't posted at all. Anybody know him well enough to phone him?
    Thanks for keeping us posted. Hope he is alright.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

100 Yard pistol shooting in 100+ heat
    I have been trying to get out for a week to the 100 yard range but something about 98 degrees and 97% humidity doesn't sit to well with me anymore. Today it was 101 with 14 mph winds but the humidity was under 50% and I went for it.

Instead of the whole collection of rifles, shotguns and muzzle loaders I wanted to shoot I only took two guns out. I was done and done in, in about 40 minutes. That was enough time to get the targets set up , load the guns put on my head gear muffs and glasses. I shot 2 magazines of 5 rounds each from my S&W M41 and the same from my old 1911A1. 36 gr HP CCI mini-mags through the 22 pistol and Fiocchi 230 gr FMJ through the 45.

I've done better but like I keep saying you can't pick your weather and if you don't shoot in bad weather as well as good weather you won't have a clue to how you will react when things go sour and you have to shoot under adverse conditions.

This is what I shot with and the EZ2C target with the 5" bullseye. I would have preferred all my shots inside the scoring ring but I'm just happy I was able to keep them on paper today. The wind was blowing from right to left and you can see it pushed the 22 over but didn't affect the 45 much. The vertical stringing was because I had to aim at the top of the bull with the 45 and I didn't get the same hold every time. I don't know about the dispersal of the 22, I never fired CCI-Mini-Mags out of my pistol before. Could be me or the ammo or the 36 gr bullet but it stayed on paper and I'm happy for that.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Well thank you for your concern but it's the near 100 heat with 90+% humidity. Then you add the chest congestion problems I've had since I got into some hay mold a few weeks ago and stir in a little bit of allergies and it's a little rough on this old carcass. After I got back in from this last bit of shooting I saw where the next week was going to be nice again. If it is I'll get my black powder and my shotguns out to the 100 yard line. It was just to much work today. Yesterday was just a play computer game in the A/C day so apparently I missed all your messages. I never go on face book so I missed Abt1's message and didn't know about it till my sister called up today saying she had read your posts and was all worried. Sorry bout that, didn't mean to cause anybody any worry wrinkles. Now get out there and shoot something.

THUCYDIDES.

Exclamation

OK then I'm very happy to hear it's not a heart problem. The heard of cows sitting on your chest statement really had me worried and then you didn't post for nearly 24 hours. Pick your words better next time!

OK then I'm very happy to hear it's not a heart problem. The heard of cows sitting on your chest statement really had me worried and then you didn't post for nearly 24 hours. Pick your words better next time!
    But what kind of words would you expect an old country boy to use? I checked and herd of cows was as close as I could get. If I was raised up a Southern boy I suppose I could have said a bale of cotton or if I was a California hippy boy I could have said a Bale of Mary Jane but my mind isn't geared in that direction, I'm just an old tit puller, fence fixing, hay bale throwing farm boy from Wisconsin.

THUCYDIDES.

LMAO

Good to see your still on the right side of the lawn

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I was getting worried, Old Grump. Glad to hear your still kicking.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"