Thread: 37 mm launchers

37 mm launchers

I'm thinking about buying one from here - http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com...Launchers.html

Anyone have one?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nope don't have one. They look neat but after I think about it for a while I decide that there are better things to spend my bucks on. Example; ammo, mags, Eotec, etc.

look cool but by the time you fire your first shot the $$ you spent you could have a SBS and have more fun safely.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Here ya go: http://www.freewebs.com/grog/safety1.htm

The incident occurred as the victim was putting on a show for family members. Just out popping off some reloaded ammo. After launching a few flares and smokes, a "bird bomb" was loaded. When the trigger was pulled on the launcher, the victim's left hand was on the handguard of the launcher. (Something we have all done before) Upon pulling the trigger, the launcher exploded with enough force to BEND the AR-15 223 heavy barrel! The launcher rail was bent, and the barrel exploded into many pieces. Here are photos of the launcher that exploded and the aftermath:

Notice most of the damage is to the area of the launcher FORWARD of the trigger, and notice the extent of the rail bend! The explosion forced the rail into the heavy 223 barrel hard enough to bend the heavy AR barrel!
    Here's a photo of the other side. The jagged piece hanging down is actually a piece of the barrel. The barrel band was ripped off the barrel, and the launcher barrel was turned into a fragmentation grenade.
    Here are ALL the parts of the launcher and handguard and casing that were FOUND! Not much of the actual launcher barrel was recovered. The AR handguard was blown apart, as well as the launcher handguard.
    Here is what is left of the casing itself. Pretty much the base plate and a wee bit of sidewall.
    Another photo of the same casing pieces showing explosive force.
    Here's a photo of the exploded casing placed in the launcher as it was when the incident happened. The force of the explosion seems to have blown mostly out the right hand side of the launcher, fragmenting the entire launcher barrel. Notice that very little of the explosive force was directed rearwards, as it did not even break the two pins holding the rail to the receiver body.
    Fortunately, the victim's eyes and other hand were not injured in this incident, nor were any bystanders. The victim's truck (which was parked nearby) was damaged and covered with parts of the victim's hand and had holes caused by flying launcher barrel parts. Photos below.
    The following photos are actual photos of the actual injuries caused by this explosion. Viewer discretion is advised. Photos used be permission of the victim in this incident. Prior to viewing these photos, think about ALL the safety information I have written above. This tragic incident could well have been prevented by following all of the recommendations above. The victim in this incident had prior health problems, and enjoyed shooting these launchers very much. He was no amateur where reloading is concerned. He placed his trust in the manufacturer that touted his product as "safer than flash powder..." and "Will give grown men woodies..." Somehow, after seeing these photos, and knowing the victim personally, I don't find that statement at all amusing... Needless to say, lawsuits have been filed, and for all your information, this is NOT an isolated incident with this product... These photos were taken at the hospital prior to the victim's hand being amputated above the wrist. He no longer has a left hand at all.
    This hand was holding the launcher handguard.
    Last edited by jojo; 07-21-2011 at 08:51 AM.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

ATI has an AR15 with 37mm combo for $1000:

http://www.americantactical.us/image...AMBA_SHEET.jpg
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Looks like a nasty wound but being reloads I would think that would put most of the blame on the guy reloading/shooting the weapon more then the weapon itself.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Looks like a nasty wound but being reloads I would think that would put most of the blame on the guy reloading/shooting the weapon more then the weapon itself.
    I agree, just saying............................................ .......

I would not fool with a fake one for a million bucks. The real ones use a well designed method of propelling the round, somewhat like a .38 case with bleed holes that empties the gas into the larger case of the grenade, and the tube is rifled, wich is illegal in a civvy 37mm. This rifling is needed due the round's turns counter, after so many turns the round has travled so far from the tube and can now arm itself. If you fire a golden apple inside a small room it'll just bounce around and scare the shit out of everyone if it works as it should. All of the civvy 37mm crap is more or less the same dangerous technology as used in the civil war to ignite shells.

Hmm, I just assumed that it worked like a shotgun.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    I would not fool with a fake one for a million bucks. The real ones use a well designed method of propelling the round, somewhat like a .38 case with bleed holes that empties the gas into the larger case of the grenade, and the tube is rifled, wich is illegal in a civvy 37mm. This rifling is needed due the round's turns counter, after so many turns the round has travled so far from the tube and can now arm itself. If you fire a golden apple inside a small room it'll just bounce around and scare the shit out of everyone if it works as it should. All of the civvy 37mm crap is more or less the same dangerous technology as used in the civil war to ignite shells.
    i find the high-low pressure launching system very interesting myself. i have often contemplated fabricating some kind of wildcat signaling round trying to employ it. (or even retrofit to a 37mm system)

that said, i dont know how safe id feel shooting anything of that sort through a thin-walled ALUMINUM barrel.

YOu could always make a muzzleloading M203
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!