Thread: It's been a lever action week

It's been a lever action week

First I picked up the Sears M54 (Winchester 94 rebranded by Sears) at a local pawn shop then tonight a friend and I dropped in on the local gunshop and found the NIB Marlin 1894c 357 mag lever action. Looks like I'll be watching The Man who shot Liberty Valance this weekend at some point
    Attached Images Attached Images

oh that sounds cool....how much $? it makes the other one look like a turd.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I'm not big on the 1894, but I do love lever actions and a .30-30 is always sweet.

I have my dad's .357 mag Marlin 1894, but I'd like to get one of the Rossi 1892 clones and give my dad his carbine back. I'd like the Rossi because I'd like to try "slicking" one up myself. Also the action is supposedly very strong, so that handloads could go up to ".30-30 power". Did I mention that I'd like .357 and .45acp, and eventually .44mag to be my first forays into handloading?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

cant beat a lever
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

The poor Sears 54, it's such a nice rifle from the end cap of the handguard back but soooooo ugly from the nose cap onward Why Sears felt they had to "update" the 94 look is beyond me. I'm still thinking of doing a trapper conversion if nothing else then to just to get rid of the ramp front sight (I'd use a proper dove tail sight) and to bring the mag tube in line with the muzzle (hate that step look). Only the fact it's easily 98% if not unfired condition is stopping me or I'd probably of already started the conversion.... I gave $200 for the sears 54 and roughly $500 for the 1894c (actually $425 of trade in and $75 cash).

I have also thought about finding a proper Winchester barrel and mag tube then just swapping out the entire front end. Although that would then mean my serial number would then suggest a 1895 built Winchester, which might lead to some fun in it's own right at shows with some less then knowledgeable collectors .

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I have one of those M94CS's. I changed out the buttstock on mine for a hard rubber one. My boys used it in CAS back when we shot together.

They are very handy little carbines and with the right loads, the .357 Mag in a carbine can nip on the heals of the 30-30. A very good short range deer getter.

Also makes an excellent home/ranch defense gun. Especially for the ladies. Very light, easy to manipulate and soft on recoil, yet very hard on the bad guy or varmint.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Lucky duck!

Enjoy them both!!

Rage

I love my Marlin 1894 in .44 mag, it's one of my favorite white tail rifles, for my western PA mountain hunting.

The recoil on my old 94 is almost as bad as the old Mosin. My shoulder aches just thinking about it. Metal butt plates are the debil.