Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lever gun/revolver combo

Lever gun/revolver combo

What would be the best lever gun revolver combo?

My dad and grandfather are both wanting this combo for Christmas and they don't want .22's.

We don't reload(yet) so something that could take a deer at 100yds but can be bought easily.(reasonably priced)

I'd go with a .38/357 combo.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

IMO 357 mag, only because I find the 44 mag revolvers too large (otherwise it's tough to beat the ballistics of the 44 mag out of a rifle). A 357 mag out of a rifle does quite well although I would put 100yds as the max range I would try to take a deer with one (my shots are generally under 40 yds).

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Three decent choices would be .357 Mag., .44 Mag., or .45 LC. I have the .44 Mag. combo, but am thinking of adding a .45 LC levergun to make that combo. I can reload for all I have, so that's not a problem. My last big investment into firearms has been the .45 LC. I'm getting so I like that round. The only long guns I have for .45 LC is the Taurus Thunderbolt and Circuit Judge. I want to add a lever gun to that caliber, too.

If I were just starting out (not reloading) and trying to assemble a really nice hunting combo, I'd start with the .44 Mag, if for nothing more than sheer power when compared to the other two. All three calibers would do nicely, but I'd still go the .44 Mag route first.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I have levergun/handgun combos all three of those just listed - .357 Mag, 44 Mag and 45 Colt.

The most economical for non reloaders (and one must ask: why are you not reloading!!!!) is the .357 Mag. For this caliber, I have a Marlin 94CS and various .357 Mag revolvers. I would suggest a 4" barreled Ruger GP100 as the go-with. The Rossi 92 clone is also a very good choice. You can go with a Winchester 92 but you are talking much more $$ for those. There are other options too but they are also more $$. The two most popular are the Rossi and Marlin.

The .357 Mag out of the carbine spits a 158 grain bullet at 1800 fps. I would say that if the shooter can place the round on the deer in the vitals that 150 yards would be the max distance. For most, that's going to mean a scope or red dot sight unless they're willing to hold shots in lower light conditions - when deer are mostly seen... in good light though, it is not hard at all to place shots using the irons if your eyes are up to it.

The Marlin would be the easiest to scope, so it that's an issue, you've got the Model.

One final suggestion - since they don't handload, a really nice go-with present would be a Lee Loader kit - in .357 Mag of course. That would allow them to try out handloading.

~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I agree with and like the .357/.44/.45 Colt combos. They can be had pretty easily and for not much money, relatively speaking.

If you wanted something "different" though, consider a .32-20 or .32 H&R Mag combo. More money, higher ammo cost but certainly not the run of the mill combo one usually sees.
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

My ideal combo (if hunting deer or other medium/large game to include hogs and or black bear) would be a Ruger Blackhawk and a Marlin 1894, both in 41 Mag. Second choice would be a similar combo in .357 Mag however deer only with that cartridge.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 07-23-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I think as the best balance of power and ease of carry the 357 wins out. I love my 629 but it's mighty large to carry everywhere, the black hawk is lighter but still large, the smaller 5 shot 357 sized guns are sort of punishing. There's no denying the power of the 44 mag out of a rifle though. The 45 colt revolvers are generally just as large as the 44mags but many aren't safe with max loads (1873 colt clones) or if they are just as punishing to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    My ideal combo (if hunting deer or other medium/large game to include hogs and or black bear) would be a Ruger Blackhawk and a Marlin 1894, both in 41 Mag.
    Forgot about the .41s! That's another "not seen everyday" combo.

I never got into the .41 Mag but for some reason I have this urge to track down a 4 5/8" (IIRC) .41 BH at a give away price...
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I think as the best balance of power and ease of carry the 357 wins out. I love my 629 but it's mighty large to carry everywhere, the black hawk is lighter but still large, the smaller 5 shot 357 sized guns are sort of punishing. There's no denying the power of the 44 mag out of a rifle though. The 45 colt revolvers are generally just as large as the 44mags but many aren't safe with max loads (1873 colt clones) or if they are just as punishing to shoot.
    I really don't notice the extra size/weight of a .44 Mag. or .45 LC revolver on my belt when I carry one. Of course, I'm used to hunting with a BP shotgun and have to tote around a possibles bag, powder horn and various other accoutrements, plus, if I carry a BP pistol or revolver with that, there's more stuff to lug around. Actually, when I take the .44 Mag or.45 LC rifle/revolver combo out, it feels a little light to me. I guess it all depends on what one is used to carrying in the woods. In MD, if you carry a handgun for deer hunting, the minimum barrel length is 6", so anything less is out of the question.

Of the choices listed above, you really won't go wrong with any of them. Choose whichever one you want and go from there. The more standard calibers are just that-more standard. Ammo can be found almost anywhere. Since you're not into reloading, that has to be taken into consideration.

(By the way, even if you don't reload, get in the habit of saving your brass. You just might decide to reload later and will have a nice stockpile of cases to start with when you do. Even is you never reload, you can trade them to someone who does reload and they'll, usually, give you a discount on the ammo you buy from them.)

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    454 Casull, you can load them up hot and heavy or load 45 colts down and shoot them at tin cans and small game. You have the range from bear gun to light plinking gun all in one package. If there is a more versatile caliber out there I can't think of it.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Red face

My first 36 years of hunting deer were with a Marlin 1894 .44 and a Ruger super black hawk. I was always the guy that went into the hemlock and laurel so the combo worked great for me. Only switched to 308 now since I get to sit and let the youngins chase stuff to me.

All this power combo talk reminds me that you could still go with the trusty 30-30 lever rifle then search out a Magnum Research BFR in 30-30. No one else in camp will have one of those! with combined tech silver tips in those you could stop a snow plow. They are a bit hard to chew though.

I went with a Marlin 1894SS (.44 Mag) and a Ruger Redhawk also in Stainless. It's a VERY hard to beat combo, and between the two of them they represent the only two guns I actually require... here is why.

1) Being Stainless they require very little in the way of maintenance.
    2) 2 guns 1 type of ammo.
    3) As already stated the ballistics you get from a .44 Mag are impressive, made even more so by a 20" barrel.
    4) You can always load a .44 mag down to .357 mag levels (or use .44 Specials), however the reverse isn't true.
    5) Brass is robust; straight walled and will survive many reloads.

No matter what you go with, make sure it’s in .44 Mag.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

I just saw one of the Rossi/Taurus Judges made into a rifle. You've got .410 and .45LC in a handy little rifle that is both a revolver and a rifle. Just thought I'd toss that one out there...
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    I just saw one of the Rossi/Taurus Judges made into a rifle. You've got .410 and .45LC in a handy little rifle that is both a revolver and a rifle. Just thought I'd toss that one out there...
    Its now made in .44 mag if I'm not mistaken.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    It's both accurate and fun to shoot. I have one and love it. I'm waiting for their .22RF/.22Mag to come out and see what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    I went with a Marlin 1894SS (.44 Mag) and a Ruger Redhawk also in Stainless. It's a VERY hard to beat combo, and between the two of them they represent the only two guns I actually require... here is why.

1) Being Stainless they require very little in the way of maintenance.
    2) 2 guns 1 type of ammo.
    3) As already stated the ballistics you get from a .44 Mag are impressive, made even more so by a 20" barrel.
    4) You can always load a .44 mag down to .357 mag levels (or use .44 Specials), however the reverse isn't true.
    5) Brass is robust; straight walled and will survive many reloads.

No matter what you go with, make sure it’s in .44 Mag.
    If they will take up handloading, then I would agree with this.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Everything you wrote made sense, then there was the picture of the squirrel with a pint (or so) of Guiness?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Everything you wrote made sense, then there was the picture of the squirrel with a pint (or so) of Guiness?
    Because O.S.O.K knows, all of gods creatures dig The Perfect Pint.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Yes. I thought it lended credence to my post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast