Thread: Just picked up another .45

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation

Just picked up another .45

found a Laseraim .45. 1911 inspired hunk of stainless steel feels incredible in the hand. Reports on the interweb seem to be split 50/50 between total crap and really good. I paid $322 OTD for it with 1 factory mag and 2 1911 mags. I'll give a range report and pics whenever the mood strikes me.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Those look wierd. Where are they made?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

This it?

Weird man. Does it use standard 1911 mags?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

from the now defunct laseraim arms inc, little rock arkansas. Mine is similar to the one in the picture but lacks the porting or compesator. yes it uses standard mags. Honestly this is the best feeling .45 I've ever seen. I really hope it functions well

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Reminds me of this:

~Nemo me impune lacessit~

The one I had was OK, nothing great but it worked fine. I know AMT's at the time had galling issues, I'm not sure of lazeraim had the same issue or not. You might want to keep an eye out for that, greasing up the rails might help.

Just got back from testing it out. As I suspected FMJ worked 100%, lead and HP's were iffy. The problem was that it wouldn't quite go into battery with them, if you gave the back of the slide a few good whacks it would be fine, otherwise you would get a light primer strike. I'm hoping a good chamber cleaning will take care of that. It could also have been the two cheap 1911 mags I was using, as I had forgotton to take the factory mag. Accuracy was best with some 185 grain HP's I had loaded hot. The best way I can describe the gun is if a cz, a 1911, and a S&W semi had a baby. Like mriddick said OK but nothing you'd have to run out and get (I don't think it's a replacement for my hi-point).

Pretty neat. They took the grip design straight outta sigland.

Here is a thought. Don't be offended because I'm not trying to insult your firearms choice, but could you get $150 for the hi-point and $350 for the Lazeraim and have $500 to spend on a slightly less budget minded .45? Like maybe an XD or a basic 1911?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post

Just got back from testing it out. As I suspected FMJ worked 100%, lead and HP's were iffy. The problem was that it wouldn't quite go into battery with them, if you gave the back of the slide a few good whacks it would be fine, otherwise you would get a light primer strike. I'm hoping a good chamber cleaning will take care of that. It could also have been the two cheap 1911 mags I was using, as I had forgotton to take the factory mag. Accuracy was best with some 185 grain HP's I had loaded hot. The best way I can describe the gun is if a cz, a 1911, and a S&W semi had a baby. Like mriddick said OK but nothing you'd have to run out and get (I don't think it's a replacement for my hi-point).
    Really? you consider the hi point a better firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Really? you consider the hi point a better firearm?
    no it's not a better firearm at all, as far as I can tell the Laseraim is a very well made pistol. That was a joke, but the hipoint has proven to be more reliable so far...

on yours did the safety prevent the trigger from being pulled? On mine you can still drop the hammer with the safety on, it just blocks the firing pin. As far as I can tell that's how it's supposed to be because the safety doesn't seem to come in contact with anything in the trigger group

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Here is a thought. Don't be offended because I'm not trying to insult your firearms choice, but could you get $150 for the hi-point and $350 for the Lazeraim and have $500 to spend on a slightly less budget minded .45? Like maybe an XD or a basic 1911?
    It's more so because I like weird guns than being too strapped to buy a "name brand" .45 (besides the laseraim just fits the hand). I was in the market for a "proper" .45 but if the laseraim proves reliable I don't see why I would need one. You would have a hard time finding a gun that's more heavily built, the ejector is the biggest I've ever seen on any gun, not just on a pistol, any gun.

no it's not a better firearm at all, as far as I can tell the Laseraim is a very well made pistol. That was a joke, but the hipoint has proven to be more reliable so far...

on yours did the safety prevent the trigger from being pulled? On mine you can still drop the hammer with the safety on, it just blocks the firing pin. As far as I can tell that's how it's supposed to be because the safety doesn't seem to come in contact with anything in the trigger group
    Yeah, I think it just blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin. I got rid of mine years ago so I'm working off memory here I traded mine for a std 1911.

It's more so because I like weird guns than being too strapped to buy a "name brand" .45 (besides the laseraim just fits the hand). I was in the market for a "proper" .45 but if the laseraim proves reliable I don't see why I would need one. You would have a hard time finding a gun that's more heavily built, the ejector is the biggest I've ever seen on any gun, not just on a pistol, any gun.
    I gotcha. Well I hope the Lazeraim works out for you.