Thread: Uberti Buntlne Question

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Uberti Buntlne Question

The Uberti Buntline revolver has a barrel length of 18". It's classified as a handgun even though it's barrel is longer than 16". Since it has a barrel length equal to that of a carbine rifle, would it be legal to attach an all metal, screw-on shoulder stock to it without having to fill out any federal paperwork and get a stamp? I guess I'm questioning the part about its 18" barrel length as opposed to a handgun with a barrel length of 16", or less.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/revol...d_buntline.php

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Pretty sure that regardless of the barrel length it was manufactured and registered as a handgun and as such you cannot add a stock to it without doing the paperwork to convert it to an SBR. Least that's my take on it. The exception to this would be C&R handguns manufactured for a shoulder stock such as a Luger P08, Broomhandle Mauser and the Browing Hi-Power though even then I think you have to have an original shoulder stock to stay legal.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 07-23-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Pretty sure that regardless of the barrel length it was manufactured and registered as a handgun and as such you cannot add a stock to it without doing the paperwork to convert it to an SBR. Least that's my take on it. The exception to this would be C&R handguns manufactured for a shoulder stock such as a Luger P08, Broomhandle Mauser and the Browing Hi-Power though even then I think you have to have an original shoulder stock to stay legal.
    I don't think it's ever a SBR if it's barrel is over 16 inches. If the barrel is over 16 inches you can attach a shoulder stock without any paperwork on the BATF's end, although they will consider it a rifle from then on and will claim once a rifle always a rifle from then on out (TC took the BATF to court on this and is exempt by a ruling). People buying the MKE HK94 with the 16 inch barrel are doing this to convert their 16 inch barrels to HK 94 rifles.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I believe you're correct now that I think about it. I've seen kits like this one before

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=453843

where you simply add a longer barrel to a 1911 as well as a shoulder stock.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I have an older Uberti Buntline in .44 Magnum with a 16" barrel and a detachable buttstock that's the same style stock as on an 1860 Colt Army. The gun was purchased as a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ppsh41 View Post
    I have an older Uberti Buntline in .44 Magnum with a 16" barrel and a detachable buttstock that's the same style stock as on an 1860 Colt Army. The gun was purchased as a rifle.
    I'd be surprised if the pistol alone meets the 26 inch OAL reg, while legally sold as a rifle it might not be legal to remove the stock going that way. One reason I bet the above pistol in the OP comes with a 18 inch barrel is to meet this reg if someone attaches a butt stock. IMO it's much easier legally to take a pistol and convert it to a rifle then to buy a rifle and then use it as a pistol.
    Last edited by mriddick; 07-24-2011 at 10:19 AM.