Thread: Got any Kids in College?

Got any Kids in College?

My children are still in elementary school right now...

I have a niece going off to college though... out of our entire family, I am singularly the only "survivalist" that prepares for SHTF.

So, I was thinking... when my kids go off to college I'd like for them to be prepared as well when they're no longer living under my roof... hopefully they'll be going to school "in-state" and only a few hundred miles away from home at the most. I'd like for them to be prepared enough to survive a short term SHTF at school, or better yet, be able to get back "home" if the power grid goes down (read nuke EMP wave).

-Mountain Bike (w/ spare inner tubes, pump/tools)
    -Back Pack (most items below would be in the pack)
    -Map of your state with routes marked how to bike back home (w/ alt. routes)
    -Water bottles, water filter pump
    -Food (this can be kept in their room or apartment)
    -Guns? At 18, they can't have a pistol... for that matter, they may not be able to even have a gun on campus at all (I'm not talking about the dorms). If mature enough, my child will have a weapon at their residence. I'm thinking an AK with folding stock or an AR w/ telescoping stock (something that could be put in a back pack)
    -Ammo - 200 round battle back (remember, my main goal would be for them to get home, 100 rounds in 4 mags would probably be enough).
    -Space Blanket
    -Survival Tent (the kind you hang on a string between two trees, basically a thin tarp)
    -Small first aid kit

So, do you worry about your kids when they're off at college? 2012 is right around the corner. Have you had discussions and training with your kids?

Heck, every time I travel to Atlanta (100 miles south of me) my truck is loaded up with stuff in case I literally have to walk back home... might take me a week though.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I have one son in college right now - and he's living in a house that we own - and yes, he's got a gun locker and some guns. He's 20 years old. As far as the rest of it - he's 1.5 hours away... so not too concerned about the rest. He can make it home if need be.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Mark, thats a good idea you want to make sure your kids have training and the ability and resources to fend for themselves in a SHTF type situation later down the road. I keep thinking to myself that if our country keeps going the way it does with spending, and the wars going on, will we make it that far for our kids to even go to college? My first is on the way, and I see a crazy world getting well worse. I just hope our country can pull it together and avoid SHTF at all costs. But yeah your list pretty much covers most of the basics and is well rounded out.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

My son is in the Army/Fort Sill,OK. My first daughter is now a nurse. Just finished here 4 yrs at ECU in NC. My 2nd daughter is going into here 3rd yr at Temple. My last daughter is a senior in HS and is not sure about college yet. Money,money,money!
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!