Thread: SHTF low temp housing

SHTF low temp housing

well to be quick and to the point: as I live In North GA I have been harassed for years by the heat and humidity since I can feasibly remember every summer.. and if all hell breaks loose I have little doubt the power would fail or they( the owners of the Power plant) would cut the power of they don't get paid so AC will once again be a luxury...
    now I cannot take heat well..and with my skin type being what it is the sun after awhile becomes the bane of my existence..so far as shelter goes: what can I do to build a shelter that will give me temperatures of mid 60's to low 70's? pit house? completely underground? tarp lean to's? what kind of non Air conditioned shelter will help? please comment if you have an idea, opinions or suggestions.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Earth house with at least 24" of sod over your head and 3 sides of the house buried in a hill side or the main floor be at least 6' or lower below grade. Needless to say this does not work to well if you live in a flood zone or most anyplace in Florida. Tall narrow windows and high ceilings for ventilation and to hold out the sun instead of large windows.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yes, think "cave".

Though, a properly constructed adobe house will keep the inside at 80 degrees.

You can also invest in a decent solar or wind generator outfit that can power a smaller window AC that will handle a smaller, decently insulated space easily.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I think "Old Grump" gave a very good answer.

IN places with a high water table ( perm. or temp.) you can build above ground, then bury under an artificial hill. You will still need electricity to dry it out so it wont mold up, just less of it.

Another option:

Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.