Thread: Which .22 to look at?

Which .22 to look at?

I am looking at trading in some guns and getting a 'tactical' .22 rifle for fun. I am thinking seriously about a Sig 522, but there are offerings from S&W, Mossberg, GSG etc.
    Also there is a new Savage 64, the TRR-SR, which looks great.
    I have read alot of good things about the Sig, and one of my requirements is a threaded barrel for my suppressor, hi-cap would be nice but not absolutely necessary, and rail for optics is a must too. Does anyone have any of these and have any recommendations? Thanks.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well, I just put together a dedicated .22 LR upper and it lives on a stock AR15 lower. If I pop the pins and drop on a full caliber upper, it's no longer a .22 LR. It takes Black Dog Machine 27 round .22 LR mags.

The Sig rifle you mention will also take the Black Dog mags, so you'd have some compatibility there. From all I've read about them from their owners the Sig .22 LR rifle is a quality weapon that produces more than passable accuracy.

My dedicated .22 LR is a trainer for my full caliber carbine AR and it does take a suppressor that has 1/2-28 thds. I have 3 full caliber AR rifles so if I'm going to practice with a .22 LR weapon it should have operating controls and feel like the main weapon. So what I'm saying is, if you wanted a .22 LR "tactical", (as you put it) rifle I would get something that is as identical to your SHTF weapon as possible.

I have a sig 522, it works 100% with cheap round nose ammo, HP's seem to hang up from time to time and I've thought about polishing the feed ramp to see if that would correct it but for now it's left undone (cheap RN works so why worry). My other complaint is the OEM mag cracked way too easily for my tastes, my CMMG's have had alot worse drops and abuse and look new, my Sig mag looks like a road map with the cracks. Besides those issues for $400 it was a great deal and shoots like a dream, I really like the folding stock, plus it works with my Sig 556 for cheap practice (same thing Schuetzenman is going for with his AK based 22).

IMO I would not buy any 22 Sig mags, just buy BD or CMMG mags, just put the Sig mag away for resale. If you have to shoot HP you might want to polish the feed ramp.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Well, I just put together a dedicated .22 LR upper and it lives on a stock AR15 lower. If I pop the pins and drop on a full caliber upper, it's no longer a .22 LR. It takes Black Dog Machine 27 round .22 LR mags.

The Sig rifle you mention will also take the Black Dog mags, so you'd have some compatibility there. From all I've read about them from their owners the Sig .22 LR rifle is a quality weapon that produces more than passable accuracy.

My dedicated .22 LR is a trainer for my full caliber carbine AR and it does take a suppressor that has 1/2-28 thds. I have 3 full caliber AR rifles so if I'm going to practice with a .22 LR weapon it should have operating controls and feel like the main weapon. So what I'm saying is, if you wanted a .22 LR "tactical", (as you put it) rifle I would get something that is as identical to your SHTF weapon as possible.
    What brand did you get for a dedicated .22 upper?

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York

.22 shopping

I got a s&w m&p 15-22 last spring and like it alot. Nice sights, rails for optics, etc.
    Took it about 200 rnds before it liked bulk ammo, I switched to BlackDog mags and she's working fine. It was $450 here in NY. I still use my Savage 6a for the tree rats but I think S&W has the bugs worked on this one. ( as a side note, I think BlackDog did a super job on thier 50rnd drum, very smooth, feeds great)
    Just me and my monkey....

I ended up buying this guy today, got very good trade in $, so I got the threaded version with BUIS, and a whole slew of other needed accessories. It is a clone Eothingus on it I have had for a while, I will see how well it works. A couple of the guys at the store were raving about the S&W and had shot this same model, so I decided to take a swing.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

How about a Ruger 10-22 with the new 25 round mags?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by darkheart View Post
    I ended up buying this guy today, got very good trade in $, so I got the threaded version with BUIS, and a whole slew of other needed accessories. It is a clone Eothingus on it I have had for a while, I will see how well it works. A couple of the guys at the store were raving about the S&W and had shot this same model, so I decided to take a swing.
    Looks nice for the money they are hard to beat.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I like the Smiths. My answer to this early on was to get a CMMG conversion unit. It's served me well but isn't as accurate as a dedicated model with correct bore dimensions.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~