Thread: AR magazine questions - follower/body material

AR magazine questions - follower/body material

I'm going to order some mags and ammo shortly so my question is, is the stainless steel magazine bodies worth the extra $1 or $2?

What color follower is best or does it matter?

Looking at C-Products and D&H Industries mags.

Color of the magpul no tilt follower means nothing except the orange ones are hi visibility. I think the stainless mags are a nice option, they weigh a little more but they seem stronger.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up

What Mike said.

Remember steel mags can maul your lower after time if you shoot a lot .

Over the last 20 years, I've used just about EVERY mag out there...

Never been a fan of the plastic Orlite or Thermold mags... I've always bought the used USGI mags or new USGI mags.

There is nothing wrong with used USGI mags... as for the followers, you can buy a 3 pack of new springs and light green followers.

The light green followers are the ones you want....

If you want to play with some P-Mags because they look cool, I've got a couple for the range... I've never used them in winter though and am curious how they'd hold up if dropped on concrete when its freezing outside.

As for the steel ones... as said above, they can gouge up your mag well in time. Personally, I think they're highly over rated... I mean, its not like the aluminum ones are gonna rust, right? The problem I can see with the aluminum ones is if you plan on stepping on them accidentally, drive over them and even the stainless steel ones will dent.

DO NOT ever buy Pro-Mag or USA brand AR mags! They FTF big time! Also, DO NOT buy the 40 round "Bushmaster" brand AR mags... they outsourced those to Pro-Mag or USA mag and simply used Bushmaster's name to make you think its a good quality extended mag! I'm surprised Bushmaster let this go through... don't know if Bushy still carries them or not, it was about 10 years ago I bought one of these from CTD and sent it back.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

The green followers Mark is talking about I believe are the 2nd Generation "GI" mag followers. They are a lot better than the older black polymer mag followers from GI mags. However the Magpul type are even better than thouse green ones. Is there a practical functional difference between them? Personally, I can't tell it except when the magazines are empty of ammo and you manually push down on the follower with your finger. The GI green one can get wedged tilted, the Magpul types can't. With ammo inserted into the magazines I've never had either type fail to feed ammo because of getting stuck from tipping.

On the C Products stainless mags wearing out magazine wells, I see no wear and they are what I use the most when I shoot my AR rifles now. I leave the aluminum ones in storage. They fit loose enough that I'm not quite understanding how they would wear the hard anodized mag well. Plus the stainless mags have a slick coating on them. I see nothing to worry about with respect to the stainless C Products mags.