Thread: Saiga 12 reliability

Saiga 12 reliability

I bought one of these 2 months ago and was reading that they basically don't work well, or at all, with low-brass shells.

So I took out my Saiga to try out some low brass shells (Fiocchi 2 3/4 7.5 shot)

And just like what was told to you, the gun jammed. It shot but only partially ejected, jamming the empty shell into the barrel extension upon bolt closure.

One day I was searching for who knows, and stumbled upon a forum. On this forum there was a guy talking all about the work he has done on his Saiga 12.

One of the things he mentioned in passing was that the Tac-47 was installed.

This piqued my interest so I looked it up.

$45. and it will solve the gas problem. Its an automatic gas regulator, plain and simple.
    There is an installation video in you tube.
    I bought one, installed it and tested fired it today. All I had to shoot was the Fiocchi low brass and S&B 00 buck.

Once I dialed in the regulator for the low brass (just like in the vid), the rest was automatic and I loaded up a mag with a mix of the 2 types of shells I had.

Not a single problem. I love it and I don't need to think about buying a low brass reliability kiit for the gun to shoot low brass with (even though I wasn't going to do it anyway).

I no longer have to worry about position 1 or 2, just load up and shoot.

Though I'd pass it along to everyone...I know it sounds like a sponcered commercial but I swear its not.

BISHOP

Yep... as for mine, it doesn't work worth crap with low brass shells. That's why I shoot high brass Turkey Loads or 00 Buck... problem solved.

I also have MD ARMS new 4 position gas plug... that' didn't help either. The only thing I haven't done to my S12 is to have the gas ports enlarged to help with cycling... too much effort for me, and no one around here knows how to do it.

So, I just shoot more powerful loads... I didn't buy an S12 to shoot skeet with anyways, 00 Buck is just fine for me.

Ive never had problems with low brass in my Saiga 12, lightest ive run is #7 fedral and had no problem. got a md-20 drum and have noticed with the same shells if I load the full 20 in the drum the first round sometimes stove pipes, but I atribute that to a mag issue, probably to much spring tention on that first round.