Thread: What to do before shooting a new AK(WASR)?

What to do before shooting a new AK(WASR)?

hi guys-

thanks for all the information on the site, i've gotten a lot of great tips before ordering my new AK-47.

my question is - when i recieve the rifle, what should i do before shooting it the first time? what should i inspect and clean before taking it out to the range? any advice? it's my first new firearm purchase, and i'm excited to be part of the community.

the rifle that i ordered is a century arms wasr sidefolder....i can't wait.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Clean every part of it. Make sure the gas block isn't so crooked that it keeps the piston from moving. Also make sure that they did the hi capacity conversion correctly. Check the fit of your mags and ensure that they dont wiggle so much that it would cause a failure to feed, and to ensure that its not so tight that you can't get mags back out (I've experienced this before).

And really make sure you clean the bore and check for obstructions.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

thanks for the reply. i'll give it a good cleaning. i have some standard solvent and some REM oil at the house. do any of you guys have any good recommendations on chemicals and cleaning supplies?

sorry for such newbie questions...but i'm seeing a lot of different opinions out there. anything from aero-kroil to windex.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I use Hoppe's #9 as a bore solvent and CLP for corrosion resistance and lubrication.

Scrub your bore with hoppes, wipe it out with patches, then apply a light coat oil. You can use CLP to clean and lube, or you can get a specialty cleaning product and then an oil specialized for corrosion resistance and then a grease for lubrication. I just use CLP to clean and lube. Just apply and wipe away until its not dirty anymore.

I save all my old socks, undies, and t-shirts and turn them into gun cleaning rags and patches.

If you shoot corrosive ammo you'll have to either:
    A. Clean with hot, soapy water.
    B. Clean the whole thing with a corrosive salt deactivating solvent such as Hoppe's #9.
    C. Clean using windex with ammonia.
    Whichever you choose, just clean normally afterwords.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I use Hoppe's #9 as a bore solvent and CLP for corrosion resistance and lubrication.
    Funky's right. I use the same setup and it will definitely take care of all your new AK cleaning needs.

Enjoy your new AK, but beware, it will quickly turn into a addiction. Trust me, I know!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Echoing what was said above, I use Hoppes 9 spiked with a little ammonia for bore cleaning. The added ammonia does a great job of assisting in breaking down copper residue.

Breakfree CLP is about the best lube and cleaner I have found. I also use if for bore cleaning. After running enough Hoppes saturated patches through the bore, I follow up with one dry one, followed by one soaked in CLP. It never ceases to amaze me how much more black comes out with that one CLP patch. Follow with dry patches until you give up.

Also, as stated make sure the receiver is clean. Century has a habit of leaving metal shavings from when they open the bore to allow the rifle to accept standard AK mags. Unfortunately ATF decided the rifle doesn't meet the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment, but is ok to import with a narrow mag opening able to accept only single stack mags. It is then ok to open it up once in the USA but to maintain the rifle as a sporting weapon and not a baby killer, Century must reduce the imported parts count down to 10 or less. By replacing Romanian parts with US made parts, the rifle maintains it's angelic nature incapable of causing a person to commit a crime!

Unbelievable, no?!?!!?

Anyway, again welcome to the group and feel free to ask any kind of question, remembering that there are no stupid questions. Stupid answers maybe, but the only stupid question is the one not asked, followed by a "How do I fix this?" question.

kskyles!!

All the above is great advice.
    You'll find cleaning an AK is not need as frequently as other firearms.
    But when using corrosive ammo, it is best to clean with a salt neutralizing solvent right away, otherwise metals such as the gastube, bolt, carrier, trunnion and mag will start to corrode almost immediately, especially in humid weather.

Enjoy your AK. There's nothing else like it, IMO.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

guys- thanks for the great advice. you are all extremely helpful. i'll take all of this advice and run with it. time to go to the local gunshop to buy some solvents, lube, and cleaning supplies.

i appreciate the kind words and welcome to the community. it's kind of intimidating to get in to a new hobby that is already filled with enthusiasts. getting info from some of the local gunshops can be difficult. i'm glad to have a cool forum to ask all my questions.

oh....and by the way.....

this will not be my last AK

We are here for just that reason.
    If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
    Enjoy your new found hobby.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Hoppes, remoil etc is ideal but just remember, it's an AK so it's really not that picky. A can of WD40 is your friend in a pinch

Definitely pay attention to whether your ammo is corrosive or not if you buy any milsurp though.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    For what it's worth, I have found the best price for Hoppes 9 is usually by the quart bottle at Sportsman's Guide. They also have good prices on cleaning patches and every now and then have the 12 oz spray can of CLP under $9. It is also possible to find coupons for them, usually about $5 off purchases over $100, which really isn't hard to do.

that's great to know. i'll go to sportsman's guide and check out what they have.

this is great advice....much better than the dirtbike forums that i frequent. i love the positive attitude of the forum.