Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashback: SAR-2 with mods made in the golden age of building...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Wink Flashback: SAR-2 with mods made in the golden age of building...

Remember the golden age of building? When we could get a variety of kits for $100-$200 or even less? And SAR's were $300 - or less? Yep.

Ah, right after the ban was lifted I bought a SAR-2 and proceded to modify her to create a proper 74 configuration. The gas block and front sight base were replaced, furniture was replaced and a windage adjustable rear sight was added. The whole thing was distressed to make it look battle-weary -which was kind of a popular thing to do then.

Has a bulgy poly mag and I bought a Bulgarian black bayo for it as well. Note the innertube section over the front snaffle hook to quiet it.

Just though I'd share this with the "new" Romanian forum.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Very nice rifle! Takes me back a few years.

I can't stand those Century pistol grips though, somehow they manage to make them even smaller than standard Euro grips.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Love the sars!

1999 sar one and two...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I like to use my SAR-2 as a demo for someone who has never shot an AK variant before. Almost no recoil with the Romanian AK-74 brake!

I have a difficult time handling seeing WASRs selling for nearly twice what I paid for this baby (before mods) and still more than I paid after mods!

sar 1 was my first kalashnakov....325 otd and it was pretty straight.remember bocephus unissued kits for 100 shipped,built 4 of em,then sadly when the economy went to shit i sold each one ,glad i had em as they kept us alive for awhile

Yes, the good ole days.
    I have three Sar-1's, original owner of two.One is still new in box.[2000].
    The third is a 2000 I bought from gunbroker,completely redone with all new wood.[dong]
    threaded bbl, bayo lug.Picked up for $385.00 two years ago.I was the only bidder.
    After 32 yrs. of collecting 762x39 AK's now I'm looking to buy the 545x39 versions,which I always wanted the Sar 2's.
    Which are now harder to find.

romak10/63UF
    Even thou this is gonna kill me to say im honestly thinking about selling my k98 zf41 repro sniper rifle to buy me a couple of 5.45x39mm im very excited about the sar2.....

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by romak10/63UF View Post
    Even thou this is gonna kill me to say im honestly thinking about selling my k98 zf41 repro sniper rifle to buy me a couple of 5.45x39mm im very excited about the sar2.....
    Well, they aren't really in the same class of weapon. The 74 clones might be considered more practical perhaps. Certainly the ammo is cheaper per round usually right around 12 cents a shot for Russian corrosive surplus.

I had a great shooting, meaning very accurate SAR-2. I sold it when ammo seemed like it was going to be impossible to get anymore. Kind of wish I hadn't given the availability of the cheap surp over the last 3 years. I had mags, spoons and strippers for the 74 out the ying - yang. Sold it all.

The golden age lol, during the ban at that, lol!

my SAR2

my sar1

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Yeah those were the days. Though neutered, paying <300 bucks rocked. Kits in excellent condition $99
    My first buy was a Sar2 and a G3 clone with the boat anchor receiver..
    Sold the sar2, sold my sar1, still have the G3 clone. Sar3 I still have, removed the optics rail, put an underfolder block and stock on it.

mine as it sit right now

Nice one bovver - is that a Bulgy fsb? Or a screw-on 74 clone brake? The former I guess since the bayo is attached to the lug under it...

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Yeah those were the days. Though neutered, paying <300 bucks rocked. Kits in excellent condition $99
    My first buy was a Sar2 and a G3 clone with the boat anchor receiver..
    Sold the sar2, sold my sar1, still have the G3 clone. Sar3 I still have, removed the optics rail, put an underfolder block and stock on it.
    Seems that there was a lot more modding going on back then - available "material" being less expensive and more abundant I guess...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

That looks like a Romanian FSB with 22mm threads. The Bulgarin FSB bayonet lug sits further back.

Romanian:

Bulgarian:
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Yeah - you are right - definately Rommie.

Thumbs up

Mine has the romanian FSB with romanian brake.
    Though my romanian brake has the arsenal mark down more then on the one pictured.
    I had wanted to use a bulgarian FSB but after much thought I went OG with the romanian because I already had the romy brake.
    Though the bayonet is a Tula and not romanian.

You know.
    I remember when everyone was doing the bike tube thing on their slings.

I like what ubersoldat did with the one on top with the wood grip and how it match up with the dong.
    Last edited by bovver; 04-26-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Way back you could get post ban Norinco's for 190 ( plus tax).

My SAR-2 was a handpicked DUD, I did not know the upturned handle was the "millitary" bolt and chose a straight charging handle out of a PILE of them for 250 USD...and yes the "kick" on them is NON-Existant...thinking of getting my wife a SAIGA in 5.45 x 39.
    Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Note the innertube section over the front snaffle hook to quiet it.
    Forgive me for sounding like a newb, but can you please explain? I have always been annoyed at the loud rattle on my AK slings and would love to tinker with something that could possibly quiet them down a bit?

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 AtLarge's Avatar

I love the good ole days

You can stop the rattle with a piece of bicycle innertube.

One Way

Sniper-in-Training, one way to "silence" your webbing on an AK is to switch to the very inexpensive, and almost ubiquitous ChiCom double leather tab carry strap. These sell for around $5 at a fun show local to you.

Silent yes. Resilient? So-far-so-good on some twenty-year old samples known to me.

Proper for a Romy? No. But if you want to go silent ... well ... there you are.

Now THAT is Sweet

At-large, you are the man when it comes to SAR-1s.

I love that rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast