Thread: Fun and frustration at a friends range

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

Fun and frustration at a friends range

Have a very good friend who has a nice range on his property, marked off for 25, 30, 50 and 100 yards. When you look up "Nice Guy" in the dictionary, you will find my friend. They don't come any nicer!!!!

I have a Wise-lite Sterling that has become a paper weight of late. After nicely firing one full mag last summer, the second mag was fire, fail, fire, fail until it just stopped firing. It seems like the firing pin is not resetting or not being released by the trigger.

I fully disassembled it, and really can't see anything obvious. The trigger has a bar that raises to hold the firing pin back against it's spring, then when you pull the trigger, that bar is supposed to lower and release the firing pin. As the bolt moves back it is supposed to reset the firing pin in the trigger bar, but for some reason mine doesn't do it.

Took the Sterling out after a total disassembly, fully hoping I had it fixed, but I didn't. Pulling the trigger is like pulling on nothing, so the Sterling paperweight will take it's place next to the Pro-Ordnance Carbon 15 paperweight in my basement until I feel like taking it apart again.

The good news is the other three firearms I brought along were a true joy to shoot.

After watching Stargate SG1 I just had to break out my two 5.7x28 toys.

First I played with my PS-90 from about 50 yards, and was very happy to keep all 50 rounds in the mag inside the 6 inch circle while shooting from a kneeling position. That thing has so little recoil it is amazing!!!

I then took out the matching FNH Five-seveN pistol, and was happy just to hit the paper from 30 yards. Much longer distance than any pistol should be called for. That guy too is a joy to shoot!

Finally I brought out the grand-daddy of 9mm carbines, my Uzi. I was given some cheap ammo, and figured the Uzi is about as indestructible as they come. I was glad I used the Uzi as some of the ammo really banged out, throwing the empty shell quite a distance, and there were several rounds that went POP and barely got the empty out of the receiver. In fact there were several rounds that sounded like they were just primer fired. The great Uzi made it nice to just unscrew the barrel nut, make sure the barrel was clear, and reinstall. I had to do that many times just getting rid of the 100 "free" rounds. There were also 5 duds out of the 100. Each was given a second chance before being trashed.

Don't know if it was the way the ammo was stored by the previous owner (the rounds had rust coming from the steel bullets and the brass was heavily tarnished) or the ammo is just junk, but I will never spend my money on "RWS" in the black and orange box.

After getting rid of the RWS, I loaded some good cheap brown bear and had a ball just beating the heck out of my buddies steel gong from just over 30 yards. That Uzi is an amazing relic!!!

And you know, I didn't care that it was 97 degrees in the shade!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Your 5.7 is an awesome "futuristic" pistol and carbine combo.

Also, I really need an Uzi to be my pistol caliber carbine.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

That's a shame about the sterling, I like mine better then my UZI.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Crybaby. You got to spend a great day at the range and play with some really cool toys and you're bitchin about one of em crappin out on you.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Hope you get the Sterling up and running and that other really cool gun too.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Sounds like a good time...too bad there's no pics!

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

That RWS sounds a lot like some crappy israeli 9mm I got from Rguns awhile back. They said it was surplus, but it was more likely a pile of mix & match reloads. Approx 10% dead primers. Others had squib loads and super-hot loads. Most cases were IMI or TZ marked but there were some Speer cases. Many cases were split & dented ... also a couple of .380 (?).

Fortunately it was real cheap because it was real junk.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter