Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Just Bought A North American Arms Black Widow-

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    I hope you will never run into the "badguy" who will make you eat those words...same for Mriddick.
    good, I hope I never run into a badguy either, in fact I'll be pretty happy to never have to shoot someone.

It's pull out, un-fold, COCK and AIM ( somewhat) and FIRE...don't forget the other three. If your first shot missed the "coon", think if the racoon was a person who could fire ( or stab /bludgen ) back at you....
    I would not read one sentence and believe you know everything. I would never put my encounter with the raccoon in the same category as one with a BG, the way it happened I knew I was going up against an animal not a person and handled with that in mind from the start. Also it really is one motion to pull, unfold and cock the firearm, I understand it doesn't fit your argument but it's not like you're implying and we shouldn't change reality just because it makes the argument...

As for carrying a 22 for self defense, I've never said it was optimal but you also have to consider the situation of why/where I'm carrying. I will also note in the 3 times I've used a firearm for actual self defense the only time I fired at a person it was with a 22 and in that case it worked 100% the way I (or anyone) would of wanted it to work. No I don't think it fits 100% but in some instances it might be best.
    Last edited by mriddick; 08-08-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I would not read one sentence and believe you know everything. I would never put my encounter with the raccoon in the same category as one with a BG, the way it happened I knew I was going up against an animal not a person and handled with that in mind from the start. Also it really is one motion to pull, unfold and cock the firearm, I understand it doesn't fit your argument but it's not like you're implying and we shouldn't change reality just because it makes the argument...

As for carrying a 22 for self defense, I've never said it was optimal but you also have to consider the situation of why/where I'm carrying. I will also note in the 3 times I've used a firearm for actual self defense the only time I fired at a person it was with a 22 and in that case it worked 100% the way I (or anyone) would of wanted it to work. No I don't think it fits 100% but in some instances it might be best.
    Have you timed yourself on the range? What your draw and shoot time? ( say 3ft and hit a man sized target...being generous with the NAA !)

Yes a .22 is deadly, but the NAA BW is not a DA revolver, further it requires perfect curcumstances with plenty of time to react in order to deploy and fire. ( which you may not have with any firearm, granted.)

This is NOT an attack on the .22 revolver...but one that is folded, and single action...and the time it would take you to deploy and shoot a man sized taget at point blank range...

Do you think the "bad guy" will give you that extra time, because it's YOUR life on the line, not mine.
    Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    good, I hope I never run into a badguy either, in fact I'll be pretty happy to never have to shoot someone.
    AMEN.

Dude, a gun... ANY gun that any one produces looks pretty fucking big when it's pointed at you by a scared human.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Have you timed yourself on the range? What your draw and shoot time? ( say 3ft and hit a man sized target...being generous with the NAA !)

Yes a .22 is deadly, but the NAA BW is not a DA revolver, further it requires perfect curcumstances with plenty of time to react in order to deploy and fire. ( which you may not have with any firearm, granted.)

This is NOT an attack on the .22 revolver...but one that is folded, and single action...and the time it would take you to deploy and shoot a man sized taget at point blank range...

Do you think the "bad guy" will give you that extra time, because it's YOUR life on the line, not mine.
    Timed, no but practiced yes and I know it's one movement to pull, unfold and cock the revolver. If you pull it out by the grip and just start cocking the revolver it will unfold by itself (mine is the 22lr version which might have a slightly larger handle then the 22mag shown in the picture).

What I'm saying is you don't know the requirements of my carry at all times. I bet I could take you to where I carry mine and you'd agree it's about the only (best) option I got at times so it gets carried. As I've stated over and over again it's not the best weapon all the time but sometimes it's all I can carry so it does...

I see the NAA's as last ditch, point blank weapon. If I were ever forced to use it, I'd stick it between the perp's eyes and pull the trigger. Don't worry, it'll be cocked by then. And in that situation, any gun is better than no gun at all.

Hey, they're derringers. And I plan to implement them in the exact same way an old west gunfighter would implement them. Nothing more and nothing less.

Here's the exact model I purchased used for $175.

http://www.northamericanarms.com/fir...is/bw/bwm.html

Rage

Edited to be more congenial. Enjoy the Black Widow.
    Last edited by Izzy; 08-21-2011 at 09:12 PM.

A shank makes no noise and is just as deadly at point blank range.
    It can be deployed quicker and is just as easy to hide.

In any case enjoy the mini.
    Good points, and yes I will enjoy it.

Rage

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Wow. That black widow version looks a lot more user friendly than the older models. If you carry a knife too, then you got all your bases covered.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Wow. That black widow version looks a lot more user friendly than the older models. If you carry a knife too, then you got all your bases covered.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oud5JfBa_hk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFyQE...7C9B185FBDEAF2

Rage

Edited because FunkyPertwee has a valid point... 7 posts can seem like much, see page 1 for a consice argument.
    Last edited by Izzy; 08-21-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Edited to be more congenial.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Yes a knife...another point in favor of a knife over a Mini is it does not "run out of ammo" after five shots.
    I already read your opinion like 16 times in this thread. We know you don't like mini revolvers.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I was looking at those too, depending on how much lee way you have in your carry system they're proably the best bet in the catalog. they're also probably really fun

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I was looking at those too, depending on how much lee way you have in your carry system they're proably the best bet in the catalog. they're also probably really fun
    I can't put mine down. Showed it off to my bud tonight, and he instantly liked it. He said that it was much better than the one his stepdad owned, and that my bud had shot. However, as far as his memory went, he seemed to remember his stepdad's gun as being a .22short/or 22LR, not a magnum. He claimed that my gun seemed to be more real and substantial, while his stepdad's seemed like a bit of a toy.

Hopefully, I'll never have to know if it is effective. Untill then, it's a great little toy for me.

Rage

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

I already read your opinion like 16 times in this thread. We know you don't like mini revolvers.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

I too own a NAA mini .22lr revolver. I sometimes carry it AND a knife when im out of town and can't take my G30 with me

Edit to add pic. If you look real hard, you can see it all the way to the right
    Last edited by sniper_n_training; 08-09-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper_n_training View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

I too own a NAA mini .22lr revolver. I sometimes carry it AND a knife when im out of town and can't take my G30 with me

Edit to add pic. If you look real hard, you can see it all the way to the right
    A local dealer is offering a 22lr/magnum convertible for $207 plus tax. I'm so tempted, but can't swing it right now.

Rage

I might get one of these "folder" versions... man that would ALWAYS be in arms reach.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12