Thread: The shotty will....

Unhappy The shotty will....

not eject a round. I literally have to take the bbl off to get the round out. I am not sure but I beleive it is a Win model 1200 defender. I have taken this sg completely apart
    and cleaned it well. But, when I put a round in the tube it will fire but the locking lugs do not seem to disengage when I try to eject the round. Everything is lubricated and
    loose. Does anyone have ANY thoughts?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    not eject a round. I literally have to take the bbl off to get the round out. I am not sure but I beleive it is a Win model 1200 defender. I have taken this sg completely apart
    and cleaned it well. But, when I put a round in the tube it will fire but the locking lugs do not seem to disengage when I try to eject the round. Everything is lubricated and
    loose. Does anyone have ANY thoughts?
    after you discharge a round can you work the slide? or is it locked up solid?
    if you depress the slide release can you work the slide?
    does it do the same thing if you pull the trigger without a round in the chamber?

more info please. help if i can.

It is locked up solid, I mean you will tear something up if you put anymore pressure on the thing.
    I did not try the slide release, but i will in just a moment.
    The answer to your last question is no, it is real tight, but it all moves.

It is locked even with the slide release.
    Last edited by l921428x; 08-07-2011 at 12:35 AM.

be the heat..

how far apart did you take it for cleaning?
    disassemble the trigger group at all?

Nope not the trigger group. Bbl, trigger group, slide and rails, just the basic stuff.
    More specific. I took the trigger group out , then i removed the bbl. then i removed the slide assy., then I removed the bolt assy. took that apart to inspect the firing pin and spring. I removed the feed spring and cleaned and reassembled.
    As I was looking a moment ago the bolt assy seems to be cantered to the left, but this could not happen with the bbl in place.
    Last edited by l921428x; 08-07-2011 at 01:06 AM.

be the heat..

if it has a screw that threads into the bottom of the bolt to hold it to the retaining plate and action bars, make sure it is seated and not contacting anything causing a bind. (not sure which models/years have this screw)
    also check the ejector for a bind on the side of the action bar or the bolt body.

i have a glenfield that i think is similar to yours that gave me some similar issues.

also check the chamber for grooves that may stick a shell. you may need to polish it smooth.
    Last edited by hogmister; 08-07-2011 at 01:20 AM.

The screw is seated and there is nothing to bind, it seems as if the locking lugs do not disengage.

be the heat..

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

The slide arm bridge screw keeps breaking on mine. I bought a pile of replacements and only use it for inanimate targets.

When the damned thing breaks it acts just as you have described. I wish I could get screws made out of harder steel. Numrich GPC has them.

FWIW here's a link to someone taking his apart. Took me forever to find something of this quality regarding the 1200.

http://battletone.com/firearm_manual...1200/index.htm

Thanks Blunt. I have done all of these things and it is still a wonder.

be the heat..

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question

Quick question/thought. I'm not familiar with the 1200 specifically, but on some shotguns the forearm has to move forward before you can pull it back to eject the shell. When you fire it the forward motion happens automatically under recoil. That being said I was just wondering if, depending on the load you're using if perhaps that's not happening.

I'm probably way off base but try pushing the forearm forward then pulling it back towards you.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Quick question/thought. I'm not familiar with the 1200 specifically, but on some shotguns the forearm has to move forward before you can pull it back to eject the shell. When you fire it the forward motion happens automatically under recoil. That being said I was just wondering if, depending on the load you're using if perhaps that's not happening.

I'm probably way off base but try pushing the forearm forward then pulling it back towards you.
    OK. Nope.

be the heat..

Does anyone know if they made more than one ejector? Beacuse the one in this shotty looks to have a 45 degree offset in it and the retainer pin is bent back towards the stock. I have looked at the pics and in the numrich cat. and the ejector is straight.

I am confused now. As I look at the Numrich cat I see the ejector that is in this shotgun, A difinite offset in the ejector and with an ejector spring. This receiver has a hole that could be used for a spring at the base of the ejector. The ejector I see is on the model 1400/140 semi auto!!!! WTF?
    Last edited by l921428x; 08-09-2011 at 02:36 AM.

be the heat..

Arrow

Still need a little help

be the heat..

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Your ejector should look like the picture above. If it doesn't it need replaced. I would recommend contacting the people at Poppert's Gun Parts and verify they have the ejector & retaining pin in stock. Hope this helps!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

That's exactly how mine looks. The ejector has always worked. When the screw breaks the action locks. When the action works the ejector works.

Winchester 1200s & 1300s have "inertia assisted recoil" to allow their actions to be worked quicker. I unwisely shot mine one handed and discovered it would eject w/o being worked.

That's how my trouble started. The problem is, now that I have found the weak link, it doesn't matter if I hold it closed, the screws break when they damn well want to now.

Your action arms may be freeing themselves of their track.

I am not a fan of the ejector design and it would have been just peachy-keen if they had designed a double claw extractor (I think that might overcome "some" of the problem).

Beyond don't shoot it one handed or you'll overstress the bridge screw (and beat the action arms?), I don't have anything helpful.

Other designs without "inertia assisted recoil" would not be harmed by one handed shooting.

I bought it used so I don't know if this was a pre-existing condition. I doubt it and I wish I had never heard of inertia assistance because I was testing its effect when I discovered this quirk, it may be a fatal flaw in this unit. Since shotguns operate on low pressure and the receiver is very heavy and well designed to keep blast and debris out of the face, I still use it on occasion.
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 08-11-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post

Your ejector should look like the picture above. If it doesn't it need replaced. I would recommend contacting the people at Poppert's Gun Parts and verify they have the ejector & retaining pin in stock. Hope this helps!

Steve
    Yeah that is what I thought. The flippin ejector in mine is from a model 1400/140 semi auto. "Just Damn" Royal Marshall.

be the heat..