Thread: friends maadi went BOOM (not in a good way)

friends maadi went BOOM (not in a good way)

so my buddy mike had been telling me for the last couple of months that a mutual friend of ours had inquired about having mike look at his ak as it was jammed up and wouldnt cycle. so mike finally got a chance to look at it and told me i had to come see this thing for myself.the trunion(WHICH APPEARS TO BE CAST),was busted on both "ears" at the top/rear area.the right side piece was actually jammed up under the rec. rail....the rec. was bulged on the right side(where the piece of trunion was ).mike said the bolt carrier was jammed back and he had to beat it out..the end of the piston was super wobbly,not like some that are a lil wobbly..........................the gun was an intrac marked maaadi imported by CAI of vt.....oh snap..my phone doesnt take pics but ill get some up this week.....the trunion was forced matched to the rest of the gun

Quote Originally Posted by blobman View Post
    so my buddy mike had been telling me for the last couple of months that a mutual friend of ours had inquired about having mike look at his ak as it was jammed up and wouldnt cycle. so mike finally got a chance to look at it and told me i had to come see this thing for myself.the trunion(WHICH APPEARS TO BE CAST),was busted on both "ears" at the top/rear area.the right side piece was actually jammed up under the rec. rail....the rec. was bulged on the right side(where the piece of trunion was ).mike said the bolt carrier was jammed back and he had to beat it out..the end of the piston was super wobbly,not like some that are a lil wobbly..........................the gun was an intrac marked maaadi imported by CAI of vt.....oh snap..my phone doesnt take pics but ill get some up this week.....the trunion was forced matched to the rest of the gun
    what type of ammo was he using ?

not sure what ammo,or CALIBER,haha,there was some herters and some other commercial russian looking stuff.ill try to talkm to chucky(owner) and see exactly what happened

I wonder if a factory gun or home build? Some maadi receivers were released as shells for home building.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The trunion was "force matched" to the rest of the rifle? I wonder if there was a head space issue which caused the kaboom?

Depending on how it was forced to the receiver, it might have been under added and unnatural stress which could have caused a crack that at first was not seen until it finally let go completely. Sounds really odd.

And yes, pictures would be really nice.

Some factory maadi's have the serial number hand engraved which might look "forced matched". I wonder if forced matched means this or lined out and remarked?

no it was hand enscribed not scratche dout(knew i shoulda clarified).my intrac maadi had a crazy emblem on the trunion..i thought trunions were milled vs. cast.i thought it mighta been a franken ak too.yeah pics are definately coming ,but where can i send em too?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You could upload them here, or use one of the many online free photo hosts.