Thread: Range report on my new M&P Sport

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation

Range report on my new M&P Sport

Well I finally got my mall ninja rifle, and after an agonizing weekend got to hit the range today. My plan was to see how it shot so I could decide what optics I was going to stick on it, as this was intended to be my tacticool rifle. First two groups at 50 yards (one with wolf the other with olympic, both crap) were around 4 inches, a bit low and to the right, which was easily addressed. Then I decided to throw a scope I had laying around on and see if it did any better with optics. Scope was a beat up bushnell 4x12x40 in a set of crappy high see through bases. Results at 100 were not that good, olympic did about 4“, wolf did 12”. This was partially because the bases were just too low to shoot comfortably with an ar. After I got used to it I managed to do around 2”-3”, which isn’t any better than my sar-2 with a 4x posp-1. After getting tired of that nonsense I switched back to the irons and did some pinking on a 25 yard army sight in target at 30 yards. This revealed that I suck at off hand and sitting and am much better in prone.

I’m happy to say that I had no jams even using some rather low quality ammo (the olympic more than the wolf), and after a few more trips I’ll probably shoot it better.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Looks good!

Maybe get some better ammo.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Looks good!

Maybe get some better ammo.

I have 1200 rounds of norinco and 23 (twenty three) hornady tap, but I'm not thrilled about tapping into either, I did see Cheaper that Dirt has some brass cased HP's cheap that I may get.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I have 1200 rounds of norinco and 23 (twenty three) hornady tap, but I'm not thrilled about tapping into either, I did see Cheaper that Dirt has some brass cased HP's cheap that I may get.
    How about some of this or this?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=9019 Link to M855 Ball, real deal stuff by IMI. Very fine ammo! http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=9017 Linke to IMI M193 ball 55 gr. ammo, also very fine ammo. On sale now at Widener's.

Your reported results are not shocking given the ammo you were using. Both are blaster grade, basic ammo. Get a case of either one at the link and you will finally know what that S&W rifle will do.

Nice rifle, can you tell us what it cost you?

I ask b/c I paid close to $1400 for my S&W M&P 15T when they first came out.

Rage

When I bought my M&PT it cost $1400.00 as well. But is a sweet rifle compared to other AR's I've had ( Bushy and OLY ). My M&PT really likes Hornady 55gr Tap, and Black Hills 55gr fmj, well it likes anything both of those companies make up to 75grs. But rarely use heavier than 62gr M855. S&W makes a really fine rifle and Im sure it'll continue to serve you well. I zeroed the rifle and Acog with Hornady 55gr Tap and use M193 with little change of POI. Groups average around 1MOA to 1.75 MOA with the Acog at 100y. Sometimes tighter with perfect conditions and when I do my part. My Girlfriend hits clay pigeons at 250-300 yards with said ammo and scares the shit out of me. She does a lot of one shot hits with this rifle. Here's some pics so my post isnt comepletly worthless lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice.

Rage

If anyone has any other feedback I'd be happy to hear it. I'm seriously considering changing out primary HD long gun from my Winchester 1300 Defender 12Ga. to an AR platform rifle in 5.56 and the M&P is on my short list.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

I might have some .233 / 5.56 laying around I might trade for something ....

Quote Originally Posted by TomO View Post
    If anyone has any other feedback I'd be happy to hear it. I'm seriously considering changing out primary HD long gun from my Winchester 1300 Defender 12Ga. to an AR platform rifle in 5.56 and the M&P is on my short list.
    I have a few AR's and the M&P 15 is very nice with out question a great quality rifle..I put up my Mossburg 500a cruiser and now its my M&P15X main HD or G2 deal....

For anyone considering Magpuls UBR stock and Magpuls MIAD grips. You can fit 7 rounds of 5.56 in the stock compartment and 5 rounds in the grips. As for the Troy forward grips, if you have the longer grip attachment on you can put 3 more rounds in there as well, but none if you choose the stubby shorter attachment. The bore snake goes in there just fine. I wish S&W would make some more calibers for their rifles like DPMS does. 308, 6.5 Grendel, and others would be sweet. 5.56 and 5.45 is fine but more would be really cool. And also, the furthest I've hit with my M&P is 500y on a 12"x6" steel plate, I trust this rifle and wouldnt hesitate to grab that first for any purpose.
    Last edited by arcangel; 08-09-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Does S&W still run the 5 free Magpul mags deal anymore? I bought mine and got 5 mags free with mail in rebate, for a total of 6 mags with the rifle. Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by TomO View Post
    My M&P is good, but my mid-length Armalite upper is better.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd sale the M&P15T, buy a lower and add this to the top side:

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...e-63fe2c75d131

I used a Smith and Wesson lower, so in the end it cost me around $800.

Still, it's simple, lightweight and accurate and I prefer it to the heavier Smith M&P15T.

It looks like this, but with a Smith lower reciever:

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...b-822e58014822

Rage
    Last edited by American Rage; 08-09-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Hey.. If you want some M4 HG's I'll toss em in the mail for ya.
    Slip-on buttpad too if you want .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Rage, Armalite quotes that upper for $525 WITH bolt carrier group and charging handle... $525 is about the same price as Model 1 Sales... I've got a couple M1s's uppers that are well built... but I bet Armalite is better, that is IF they don't "outsource" their uppers for that price.

For those wanting to know what they run mine was $619, copes has them listed for $599. This is smith's "economy" grade gun, you will notice the lack of forward assist and ejection port cover. The bore isn't chrome lined (but melonite, same finish as the outside) but other that that I can't tell where they cut costs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    Hey.. If you want some M4 HG's I'll toss em in the mail for ya.
    Slip-on buttpad too if you want .
    do they have the heat sheild? the stock smith one is just plastic.

no these are the glacier ones that have huge veins of plastic inside.

fuck.. it's free .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    Rage, Armalite quotes that upper for $525 WITH bolt carrier group and charging handle... $525 is about the same price as Model 1 Sales... I've got a couple M1s's uppers that are well built... but I bet Armalite is better, that is IF they don't "outsource" their uppers for that price.
    As far as I'm concerned, Armalite makes a damn fine product. But you'll have to judge that for yourself.

And yes, thier uppers are "complete." As for outsourcing, Armalite never indicated it, in fact, I felt they indicate the opposite. But again you'll have to read thier literature yourself.

Rage