Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 Info Please

Glock 26 Info Please

My fiancee has expressed some interest in a Glock 26 for her gun. My only Glock experience was briefly owning and carrying a model 29 as my back up piece. I'm sure some of you guys here have more experience with a 26 than I do. Any info or anecdotes are appreciated.

Her father has a Glock, she likes the weight. But she is small and doesn't want a lot of recoil or noise, so larger calibers are out. She wants it as a purse gun. School me please, fellas.
    If you don't like the way I do things you can tell me, just don't expect me to change.

Many believe the Glock 19 is better.

Rage

IMO the 19 is the best glock going, however the 26 does carry alittle easier and doesn't print nearly as much. I've not heard much bad with the 26's except some guys saying they are bigger then they thought for carry and ended not carrying it as much as they had hoped. Being a woman and I assume smaller framed I'm not sure which way it would go with her, smaller=easier carry or still too large for everyday use... Other then that issue I believe it's a fine firearm.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

I've got a G26 and like it a great deal. While I would agree with others that the G19 is probably the better compromise the G26 is hard to beat for CCW, particularly if you're a smaller framed person.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I own a Glock 23 and 27 (.40S&W version of the 19 and 26 respectively). I found that my 27 didn't seem to appreciatively have any advantages over the 23 for concealed carry. It is only just a little smaller, and it doesn't seem to "print" any less than my 23. Its smaller grip (even with grip extension magazine floor plates) makes it harder to get a good hold on it. So I carry my 23.

For purse carry, the 26 isn't going to have any advantages over the 19 (unless it's a really small purse). I'd try to convince her to get the 19.

And of course, the standard answer for pistol selection: Have her try out a lot of different pistols, and see which one she likes best.

I've owned 2 G26's one black and one with the OD green frame. I liked them both but found the grips too small, Im a little guy at 5'5'' and about 140lbs and it seemed small for me. I do carry the G19 and find that much more comfortable in grip size, print is roughly the same in the experiences I've had as well.

I think a G26 will be one of my near future purchases.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

IMO for the size difference the Glock 19 is better. Most do not like the G26 short grip so then you stick an extended floor plate on that gives you a spot to put your pinky finger. Otherwise you hold it with two fingers and your thumb and your index finger pulls the trigger. Feels ackward as hell without the extended floor plates. Once you've done that the grip length is essentially identical.

With the 19 you get 15 round mags as standard. With the 26 you get a 10 round mag as standard. My 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    IMO for the size difference the Glock 19 is better. Most do not like the G26 short grip so then you stick an extended floor plate on that gives you a spot to put your pinky finger. Otherwise you hold it with two fingers and your thumb and your index finger pulls the trigger. Feels ackward as hell without the extended floor plates. Once you've done that the grip length is essentially identical.

With the 19 you get 15 round mags as standard. With the 26 you get a 10 round mag as standard. My 2 cents worth.

I agree. If you find you can't shoot the G26 well without a grip extention then go with the G19. IMHO the grip length is more of a determining factor in CCW than the length of the slide so as pointed out above, why turn the G26 into a low cap version of the G19. Just get the G19 from the start.

Best bet is to rent or borrow a G26 and see how she likes it then decide. I will say that if you can shoot it, in stock form the G26 makes a pretty darn nice carry piece.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Thanks for the info. I think we'll check them out soon. On an unrelated note, I plan on aquiring a .357 for camping. Probably 4" bbl 6 shot. Going to North Carolina in the future, so wildlife is a factor.
    If you don't like the way I do things you can tell me, just don't expect me to change.

Quote Originally Posted by john law View Post
    Thanks for the info. I think we'll check them out soon. On an unrelated note, I plan on aquiring a .357 for camping. Probably 4" bbl 6 shot. Going to North Carolina in the future, so wildlife is a factor.
    If your looking for suggestions for a .357 I'd be inclined to point you in the direction of the Ruger GP100 as both a rugged, well made firearm and one you can find at very reasonable prices new or used. In the strictly used category, though they tend to hold their value quite well and will probably cost you more than the Ruger a Smith & Wesson Model 66 or better yet a 686 would be a couple of nice ones to look at. They'd actually be my first choice since I've been addicted to S&W for years but from a cost standpoint for a noncollector the Ruger would probably fit the bill and the wallet a little better.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post

Uh no, they're not "identical" if you add an extension.

The one on the right is a G19 mag with the sleeve to fit the G26 and the one in the the middle is a Pearce +0 extension.

As you can see the G19 grip size is not "identical".

I prefer the G26 since it can be made to have a larger grip for range or home with G19 or G17 mags or use the stock mag with or without the extension for a better CCW size pistol.

You can't shrink the grip on a G19.

Do those grip extensions work out pretty good, and do they interfere with reliability and feeding? I wouldnt mind having a G26 again for the size its a great little gun. I was pretty accurate when I had em, but that little grip makes it hard to get to in a hurry out of an inside the waist holster. Snappy little guns, they sure do let you know they are there when fired. Id like to see a small rail for a light too like the G19 has.

Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    Do those grip extensions work out pretty good, and do they interfere with reliability and feeding? I wouldnt mind having a G26 again for the size its a great little gun. I was pretty accurate when I had em, but that little grip makes it hard to get to in a hurry out of an inside the waist holster. Snappy little guns, they sure do let you know they are there when fired. Id like to see a small rail for a light too like the G19 has.

They work great, no problems at all.

Though honestly I prefer the stock mag with a Pearce extension, it just seems to fit my hand better than that extra length in the back with the G19 mags, it seems to point more naturally too at least for me anyway.

Another option a lot of G26 and G27 owners swear by are the GAP floorplates.

http://www.tacticalsight.com/gap-ent...-33-p-175.html

I haven't tried those yet, so I can't say how they feel.

I've never noticed the G26 as being "snappy" or hard to handle, now the G27 I had was a bit nasty, but the dual recoil spring does a great job of taming the felt recoil of 9mm. In fact Glock has now gone to this spring set-up on all the new Gen-4 models.

Thanks weevil, I havent really gotten the chance to check out the Gen 4 Glocks yet in person, but have read up on it. The ability to switch right to left handed for the mag release is kinda cool. Those GAP floorplates look neat also. On the second G26 I owned I switched the trigger to a 3.5lb and that didnt go well. The recoil and small grip made it bump fire pretty bad for me, so I changed it back before I sold the pistol.

I tried the 3.5 lb on my G20 with and without the NY1 return spring.

I went back to stock.

Since it's for carry I've kept my G26 stock, I don't like mods on a carry gun.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

Shearer brand which I have experience with make the grip feel (to me) about identical for my pinkey finger. The heal of the hand is another issue as the grip at the back of the mag well is a lot shorter. But some people just have to pitch a fit, now don't they.

So don't use the Scherer's, they're ugly too.

Glocks are already prone to "stovepiping" and FTF's via limp wristing... I can only imagine that the smaller frame guns being more prone. I think a lot of practice with learning to lock the wrist, proper grip/stance is probably in order?

I think the whole thing related to limp wristing is because the way the slide recoils back, the chamber dips down as the barrel end noses up slightly... so the barrel tilts up and down like a see-saw during its firing cycle... My Beretta M9, the barrel stays horizontal... I think this is why my M9 will cycle my suppressor whereas the G17 wont... the Glock loses recoil energy due to the movement of the barrel... so a good firm hold is more important with a Glock. I'm not a shooting expert, but this is how it seems to me?

Unless your fiance is an active shooter... just like my wife who shoots perhaps a dozen rounds a year... if they don't shoot that much and the gun is strictly personal protection. I'd rather my wife carry a S&W .38 SPC revolver... specifically an Airweight model with no hammer to snag when she pulls it out of her purse.

Just my .02
    Last edited by Mark Ducati; 08-13-2011 at 06:53 AM.

There are also a few other differences between the G19 and G26 grips.

Found this on another forum

"There are a couple of other differences besides size. The compact and subcompact do not have the same shape backstrap. The 26 has stippling higher on the its backstrap. Also, the placement of the fingergrooves is not the same. The subcompact actually has more room for the top finger on the grip."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast