Thread: AK Shepherds Crook Question

AK Shepherds Crook Question

Just finishing up on my first build and have one small issue, the shepherds crook. I have the original one fom the Bulgy -74 kit and was wondering if I can just cut off the coiled end and use the bent wire portion for the hammer/trigger pins. I'll more than likely get a replacement plate in the near future, but want to be up and running now. Any wisdom on the subject is greatly appreciated.

I've used E clips on a WASR 10 kit before, worked fine with no walking of the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc. View Post
    Just finishing up on my first build and have one small issue, the shepherds crook. I have the original one fom the Bulgy -74 kit and was wondering if I can just cut off the coiled end and use the bent wire portion for the hammer/trigger pins. I'll more than likely get a replacement plate in the near future, but want to be up and running now. Any wisdom on the subject is greatly appreciated.
    If you want it up and running quick, you can use "E" clips of the proper size.

However eventually I would suggest getting a Bulgarian hook and installing it since it prevents the hammer and trigger pins from rotating.

The plate retainers are great in that they work well and install super easy, but they don't stop pin rotation.

This pic shows the proper way to install a Bulgarian hook... and notice how it wraps around and "clamps" the trigger pin... it absolutely prevents pin rotation:

Despite what people say, a hardened axis pin rotating in a hardened receiver hole WILL wear out the hole, so it's best to prevent rotation.

FWIW......

-- Roger
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Thanks for the replies!

I thought about "E" clips, but they do allow rotation, so only as a stop-gap.

I used the original hook, cutting off the coil that connects to that evil third pin that we cannot have!

I think I got it to work, but it hooks the hammer pin, seems to me that that pin has the most rotation and you would want the most capturing of the hammer pin. It would rotate about 180 degrees each trigger pull where the trigger pin only would rotate a few degrees each cycle.

I hope I'm right. Will try to do some pics of my newly finished toy today, I'm quite proud of how it turned out!

Happy to hear you got it hooked up.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc. View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

I thought about "E" clips, but they do allow rotation, so only as a stop-gap.

I used the original hook, cutting off the coil that connects to that evil third pin that we cannot have!
    Why cut off the coil?

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Why cut off the coil?
    The coil is meant to go around the "third" pin, you know, the one that doesn't exist. You just clip the coil off and bend the crook to
    fit with tension against the second pin and wrap around the trigger pin. The "auto spring", unless it's pressed against the side by
    the auto trip lever, will push away from the reciever side if left hanging.
    Just me and my monkey....

Quote Originally Posted by binky59 View Post
    The coil is meant to go around the "third" pin, you know, the one that doesn't exist. You just clip the coil off and bend the crook to
    fit with tension against the second pin and wrap around the trigger pin. The "auto spring", unless it's pressed against the side by
    the auto trip lever, will push away from the reciever side if left hanging.
    Oh I see... I use the Bulgarian hooks, so they fit as-is. I thought the coils were being cut off merely BECAUSE they were meant for the safety sear axis pin. Thanks for the info.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Yes I've always cut off the coil. A dremel or grinding stone does the trick.