Thread: Need advice for a riflescope

Need advice for a riflescope

Hi all,

I want to put a scope on one of my AR-15 rifles. It's an A2 (fixed carry handle) with a rail attachment added. Also it's a 16 inch barrel carbine.

I don't need anything super fancy or super accurate, just for target shooting at around 100 to 200 yards... sometimes closer.

So, I guess I need to know:

* What power scope for that distance?
    * Fixed or zoom - which is better?
    * What brand is good? (don't want "Made in China" crap)
    * What kind of reticle is good? Mil-dot? Plain cross? Other?
    * Should it be illuminated? (will only be shooting outdoors in daylight)
    * Is the lens diameter important (larger lens for brighter image)?
    * Price I expect to spend is around $200 to $300 but not firm. I can go higher if necessary.
    * Type of mount? QR lever or thumbscrew? Or other?

I don't know anything about scopes. So advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

-- Roger
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

I'm planning on picking up a Vortex Viper PST for my 300 blackout. It is a FFP scope that can be found for around $500.00.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...cq-moa-reticle

The Reticle is kinda cool. At 1 power you use the illuminated portion inside like a red dot for up close shots. At 4 power you use it more like a mill dot system - although there are really lines in the reticle not dots. It also has some sort of quick ranging finding feature. Here are the directions on using the reticle.
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/...pst_14st-a.pdf

The more reading I do on it the more I like it. It has been well reviewed on a couple of other gun forums.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Most Acogs will attach directly into the hole of the carry handle and lock in real tight, they arent within the price range that you mentioned but I feel Acog to be a great and simple do all type of optic. You can do close up work with practice, and longer range work if needed. They also have x3, x4, and x5 power models. I have the x4 power and suits my needs well. I think a more traditional scope may be more difficult to get a good cheeck weld on a fixed carry handle. Being up too high.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Just get a 1-4x 25mm objective scope and be done with it - Nikon, Weaver, Redfield, Burris.

Get a basic mount with low rings to keep the scope eyepiece low to the top fo the handle.

That will serve you very well.

Duplex reticle is most common and works very well - can be used for ranging too.

This will serve you well for the mount: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=499635

That allows you to "cowitness" with the scope - great for sighting-in and also incase the scope gets fogged or something, you can just sight with the irons.

Oooh, here's a cool scope and just fits into your price range: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=994114

For a lot less, you can go old school and get this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=183610

I have one of these on one of my AR's and it works just dandy - no bells and whistles, just basic glass. Check the reviews... kinda tells the story.

~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

If you want a workable scope for real world, SHTF application 4X maximum magnification is my advise. You get tunnel vision with high power scopes and it is hard to find the target. If you want a pure target scope use for it then go as big a power as your budget will allow.

Speaking of budget, $300 isn't much really. A quality scope can meet or exceed the cost of the weapon easily. On brands, OSOK has mentioned a few that are appropriate for your budget. Leupold does make some lower powered Vari -XII scopes that will be in your 3 bills range. http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-II...ope-P2559.aspx Here is a 1 -4X Leupold that sells right at $300. I think a more appropriate scope would be their Prismatic series. http://swfa.com/Leupold-1x14-Prismat...pe-P10947.aspx These units will set you back $480 but they would be much more appropriate for an AR weapon.

Illuminated reticule, good for seeing the reticule at dusk or early dawn. In the case of the Prismatic scopes, illuminated or not in daylight you can see the reticule. Seems to be a good compromise between a pure scope and a pure red dot type sight.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

imo, +1 TO OSOK, only without the lighted reticule. personally, i despise them. my guns do not need power to function, i hate the idea of having to have batteries anywhere in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    If you want a workable scope for real world, SHTF application 4X maximum magnification is my advise.
    I only want the scope for target shooting (paper, not people LOL!). For close in SHTF, I would use a reflex sight anyway.

As far as my budget, it's not cast in stone... it's just a reflection of how I intend to use it... just as a plaything to poke holes in paper. I know I would spend $500 to $1000 on a REAL scope, but I don't need that kind of quality.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I put a Vortec strikefire red dot with a 3x magnifier on mine on a leupold mount . scope was 150.00 mount was 60.00. Lots of fun and accurate at 100 yds, haven't tried it at 200.

im gonna get that handle mount from midway and mount my nikon prostaff and see what happens......i had a springfield 4x12x40 that wouldnt zero and traded it away, i hope to get better resul;ts this time

WHy not a Colt style BDC??

\
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Is that a Leapers?

I've got one of those too for my HBAR but I haven't had the opportunity to test the bullet drop function to see if it's anywhere close...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

only one I ever had was a real Colt BDC.

Could shoot out the center of playing cards at 100yds all day.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Leupold makes a 2.5-4x version of their mark at scope

Swapping out to a flat top upper might make things much more comfortable than shooting meerkat style.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Swapping out to a flat top upper might make things much more comfortable than shooting meerkat style.
    LOL, Merkat. Yeah, any scope up on the carry handle is very high over the comb line. You don't cheeck the stock, you jaw bone it.

I like Nikon scopes. This would be my choice:
    http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Prod...23-1-4x20.html