i just picked up 75rds of some surplus 8mm Mauser ammo from a friend at work. it looks good and every round i've pulled from a box is in good shape.

i'm really looking to confirm my suspicions and maybe get close to a bullet weight.

four of the plain tan boxes say "7.92mm type Mauser" and have a double circle 10 on them. the round is FMJ in a copper washed, presumably steel case with no primer or neck sealer. the headstamp has a "10" at 12 o'clock, a "\" at 2 o'clock, a triangle at 4 o'clock, and "64" at 6 o'clock. IIRC isn't double circle 10 Bulgarian? the 64 would represent 1964? would anyone venture an educated guess on a bullet weight for these?

the fifth box, again plain tan, has a bunch of probably Russian writing on it. i can make out 7.9mm, Hu-05-79, Ocp(?) 21/53 and 11-1954. the rounds are on strippers, FMJ, brass cases with red sealed primers. headstamp is "11" at 12 o'clock, "54" at 6 o'clock and commie stars at 3 and 9 o'clock. so probably Russian made in Nov 1954. bullet weight guesses anybody?

the guy only wanted $2 a box so i gladly gave it. it should be good plinking ammo if nothing else. hmmm, i probably better treat it as corrosive too.