Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished My First Build!

Finished My First Build!

A Bulgy AK-74, the only part I refinished was the completed receiver. This kit started out as a standard stock kit, I also have the black plastic hand guards, but like the wood better.

Here is with the skeleton folder.

Here it is with my favorite, the solid stock.

Here is a close-up of the wood!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

That looks great! Congratulations.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

That's a tough first build (coming from a guy who's built 100+ AK's ).

Thanks guys! I'll tell ya, this was not an overnight build. I think I started some time in April, but was meticulous with every detail, no flaws on the receiver, rear trunnion installed twice(I tweaked the receiver a bit getting carried away with the press), and GunKoted the receiver 3 times to get the flat black to match the original finish of this pristine kit.

Now I have matching side folders, the other being an SAR-1 I converted to a side folder several years ago.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Nice Job ATAK! The feeling of building your first Ak is great isn't it?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Congrats! Great job! My first build was a Bulgy 74 but with fixed stock. They are great shooters!! Looking forward to the range report.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Man that is of the upmost RADICALNESS!!

I absolutely love 74's, my only AK now is a Arsenal SLR-105.

How hard is it to install a side folder? I have been wanting one for ages and if I could put one on mine, it would be perfect.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Wow, that looks great! That is some unique wood on those handguards, but i will say that I like the looks of the skeleton stock more. They just do it for me.
    Got any pics of that stock extended?

Thumbs up

Looks great.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up

Looks super nice! Congrats!

First off, thanks for the thumbs up! It was a real labor of love. I only did little bits at a time, making sure things were right on. Having to blast and coat the receiver three times was not a fun part of it, but it is so close to the original finish, that I'm way pleased. That GK is sure tough!
    Very stoked over how well it came out. I now have a Romy "G" kit and a Polish U/F kit to build, the U/F being first. I know I should've started with the Romy G, but I'm not that patient, and I really wanted this kit up and running. Next is the folder, what can I say!

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    Man that is of the upmost RADICALNESS!!

I absolutely love 74's, my only AK now is a Arsenal SLR-105.

How hard is it to install a side folder? I have been wanting one for ages and if I could put one on mine, it would be perfect.
    Thanks! Modifying the receiver for the folder trunnion and latch is fairly strait forward and I have a blueprint for it. You gotta do some serious cutting, grinding and fitting, but as long as you laid it out properly, it's a breeze! I'll try to scan and post in the BIY forum tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 6gunsal View Post
    Wow, that looks great! That is some unique wood on those handguards, but i will say that I like the looks of the skeleton stock more. They just do it for me.
    Thanks 6gun! I'll try to do pics tomorrow of it extended. There is a pic in my album of my SAR-1 converted to the side fold, with it extended.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc. View Post

Thanks! Modifying the receiver for the folder trunnion and latch is fairly strait forward and I have a blueprint for it. You gotta do some serious cutting, grinding and fitting, but as long as you laid it out properly, it's a breeze! I'll try to scan and post in the BIY forum tomorrow.
    Sweet, I would very much appreciate that, thanks.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I really like the handguards - the wood is awsome.

My Bulgy is all replacement plum - I decided to do that for compliance. I like it but the wood is really nice.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

great first build, can't wait to see what else will come.

sweet,good job.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc. View Post
    A Bulgy AK-74, the only part I refinished was the completed receiver. This kit started out as a standard stock kit, I also have the black plastic hand guards, but like the wood better.

Here is with the skeleton folder.

Here it is with my favorite, the solid stock.

Here is a close-up of the wood!
    Dude, that is AWESOME! Welcome to the next level of the addiction, store bought guns just won't hold your attention anymore. I really like what you did with the handguars. The grain in that lower really stands out and gives it that European walnutty look of high end double rifles. I look forward to more projects!
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Thanks again for the praise! Coming from you "old heads" of building really means a lot!

AFA the hand guards go, I did not do anything to them, that is how I received the kit. When I got the kit, and saw its condition, I knew I was going to keep everything original and just try to match the receiver finish to the rest of the rifle. The same goes for every other part of the kit, less the trigger guard(can't help that one), all I did was clean everything! Thats why it took three times applying the GunKote, and three trips to my media cabinet! Doh! I've already did some torture testing to the receiver finish, on the inside while installing the guts, and this stuff is way tough! And, as a test, that I could always correct in the future if the finish didn't hold up, I used what I have on hand, glass bead media. I just cranked up the pressure above what I'd normally use. Seems like it works and no need for aluminum oxide media.

I was a bit leary about using glass bead, but figured it was something easily corrected down the road... No need for that! Getting it to match the kit took lots of finesse, but I got there. Had a few hiccups in the build, a couple being learning curve related, the others being SNAFU on my part!

And a resounding yes to your statement Hazmat! Even though I have a Romy G kit(which should have been the first build, to cut my teeth on, so to speak), I jumped right into the rifle I wanted done first. I'm so glad I didn't f#ck it up! Next is a nice Polish PMKMS kit, this time all metal will be refinished due to a pretty worn finish on the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by 6gunsal View Post

Hey 6gun, sorry for forgetting about your request, old-times syndrome!

Here is a pic of the skeleton stock on my AK-103 clone (started life as a SAR-1). I never got around to swapping it back on the -74!

Massachusetts Minuteman
    Nice build! Congratulations.

I like!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast