Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finished My First Build!

I like it too.

Where do you get your recievers and barrel kits?

Rage

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Good job! Nothing better than pride in something you built yourself.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Quote Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc. View Post
    Hey 6gun, sorry for forgetting about your request, old-times syndrome!

Here is a pic of the skeleton stock on my AK-103 clone (started life as a SAR-1). I never got around to swapping it back on the -74!

Cool! Kinda looks like a khyber pass clone now.

CLEAN ......nice work !!!!
    Nothing but the finest weapon construction and parts used !

Rivets look clean! I like it!

I can't rivet worth crap which is why I sold my first rivet build (yeah I'm a pretty boy) and built a second one (screw build).

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    I like it too.

Rage
    I can't speak for ATAK, but as for myself, I used to get my parts kits from CTD, CFS, Gun Things, APEX, and a couple of other places until barrels became part of the sporting purposes clause of the 2A. Now, it's all about lurking on GB waiting for the killer deal, like the intact Romy kit that came w/o the rear trunion for $280 (less shipping) last week. The deals are out there, you just have to be patient and a bit lucky.

Of course some folks also bought an ass-load of kits when they were a dime-a-dozen and are just now getting around to building them, too.

As for the receivers, most are using NoDak Spud receivers. Harlan makes some damn good products. Every build I've done has been on one, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone who hasn't already heard of him/them.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    I like it too.

Rage

As Hazmat stated, I used a NODAK Spud receiver. The parts kit I got from a guy in Florida, off of sturmgewehr.com.

Looks good, good job. I have been thinking about building one myself but the kits I have seen, you have to fold the receiver and rivet and all that and I just don't have the tools to do all of that.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 Crash's Avatar

I sold off most of my early builds since they were built on Vulcan receivers and even though I fixed the ejector/axis hole hardness issue I just couldn't get over the receivers bad reputation. I mostly use Nodak now and I'm starting to build up on pristine kits I fortunately bought years ago, I couldn't afford them at todays prices.
    Heres a 74 I finished last month...

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Nice '74, crash.

I've got a Kobra myself, I just need a "modern" 5.45 or 5.56 AK to put it on.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

That's awesome Crash! I too have a KOBRA, and love the look of it on my new toy!

Ours are like twins, if I throw the tri-angle stock on it.

Two rifles stand out in doing my builds. The first is the 1971 dated PLO Russian kit I got from another board member several years ago for a pittance ($500 when intact Russian AKM/AKMS kits were going for a grand or more) and the other is a 1987-dated Russian AK 74 kit minus the barrel (I got a Bulgarian barrel from Copes for a C note) I picked up earlier this year. This on top of my first build, which was a Yugo M70 UF. Gawd, has it been 5 years since I started?
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12