Thread: Range Day, praying for clear weather tomorrow morning...

Range Day, praying for clear weather tomorrow morning...

Have a chance to hit the range in the morning. It's been a long wait because of work schedule and other trips that fell through due to the weather. Planning to break in a few acquisitions including M&P15 and Sig 556. Sighting in the Eotech on the Socom is a must so that will get done too.

I'll put the metal Csspecs Vepr .308 mags thru the ringer as well

I hope you like the SIG, I really like mine, it's now my favorite AK by far...

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I hope you like the SIG, I really like mine, it's now my favorite AK by far...
    Usually if I hit paper without corrective lenses I'm happy. Been hiding in its box for over a year. I believe its a 1:7ish rifle twist, do tell what are you running thru yours and does it like any particular gr ammo better than others?

Post edit: for a little over a grand I had better be pleased

Truthfully lots of cheap Russian 62 gr and PMS 55 gr which doesn't do as bad as the twist rate would suggest. Although I only paid $850 for mine so you might have to adjust the expectation/cost ratio accordingly

Well the range day went well even without corrective lenese. The SIG 556 was a real smooth operation shooting S&B 62gr (ss109), @25yds and fresh out of the box the sig red dot that came with grouped 3 shots 2x2" low and left, five shots later and a bit of adjustment (sight brightness) & (5x7clicks) it was dead on, @ 50yds it needed a little more trimming but held 2-3" high groups. @ 100yds the red dot needed a lot more work but was grouping 4x5" high and right. I ended the day with 30 round groups mostly 3-10" high on center. I'm very please overall. Comparatively; The Vz58 with iron sights was all over the place at 100 yrds and mostly not on paper but then again I did take 7 swats from a 7mm mag before shooting the vz58.

The SOCOM16 with Eotech and surplus european ammo, all I'll say is that I now understand. Zero run out at 25 - 50 - 100 total 17 improvenmt clicks and 30 shots the socom was running well and holding 5-10" groups at 100. I assume this is pretty good for an eotech at 100

The M&P15 with Trijicon reflex and federal m193 took getting used to but again I now understand the value of this optics and I am very pleased.

More after dinner and some pics as the hardware comes out of the truck. Y'all have a great evening.

Last edited by Infidelski; 08-20-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Photo added above of everything we exercised yesterday except the sig because its broke-down on my bench right now getting a full visual inspection.

It was a long hot day and the only guns we didn't get to were the vepr rifles not shown in the photo above because we never got to them. The Csspec mags were not tested, I'll get to them next time.

The vz58 rifle has issues, it could be ammo (new commie commercial) its not the operator because not one of the three of us could get it on paper. It was throwing rounds 10'-15' high short left and right at 100 yds. It was such a beast that the range officer asked us to stop and we happily agreed...