Thread: Centerfire Systems/Pioneer Arms PPS43C report

Centerfire Systems/Pioneer Arms PPS43C report

I ordered this Monday from CFS with it arriving today at the local FFL, I consider this outstanding speed in shipping and a big plus for CFS IMO. One neat feature I didn't count on was I received a UPS email notice when it shipped allowing me to track the shipment all the way to the FFL. I really can't comment on the packing since the FFL removed it from the packing (really don't like that) but needless to say it was in perfect shape with no damage so I was very happy in the ordering/shipping phase of the purchase.

The pistol came with a 2 part cleaning rod with sight adjustment tool on the handle, a oil bottle (correct Polish type), one perfectly new mag and 2 slightly used mags. In test fitting 2 of the mags fit as you'd expect, one is very tight and requires some pulling to remove the pistol. I'm sure this is a mag issue and probably normal in some ways considering the crudeness of the mags, they are somewhat light duty showing stamped construction. The bluing is deep and dark, fit and finish was better then I expected, overall it looked very nice and had a quality feel to it.

Once I had the pistol and 140rds in hand there was still about an hour of light so I headed over to the range. It was a rushed/forced trip so I didn't have time for a tear down and cleaning beforehand (I know bad). The instruction paper that came with the pistol stated it was test fired and modified with an improved firing pin so it wasn't dirty at all as it came. Considering the last few CAI weapons I've bought this was a pleasant surprise (big thumbs up to Pioneer Arms Corp). I noticed the bolt moves very easily and is a breeze to cock, overall the construction seemed decent without any real issues in fit and finish. Granted it's a copy of a cheap/crude SMG but overall I think they did a very good job.

At the range and after a quick check to make sure there was oil everywhere it seemed to need it and nothing in the bore (the cleaning rod came in handy here) I loaded up each of the mags with 5rds each and tried it out. I can report all the mags worked as expected with no malfunctions. Next I took the newish mag and loaded it with 20rds and again let it go. Again it was 100% with no problems at this point I was starting to feel very good about my buy. After about 3 mags with no issues I finally had a FTE/FTF when I had a squib load, luckily it was enough to get the bullet out of the barrel but did result in a short stroking of the bolt and a double feed. Later on I had another squib but again the bullet exited the barrel although this time it managed to eject and feed the next rd (I still stopped and checked to make sure). A normal rd would work the action smartly with some force, the squibs made the bolt seem to work in slow motion so they were easy to feel/spot. All in all I fired one box off (70rds) with 1 FTE/FTF although I can't fault the weapon as it was clearly an ammo issue.

Overall I can say in shipping/ordering CFS rates a 10, in construction and design I'm again very happy with Pioneer Arms and would give them a 10 as well. This is my first Pioneer Arms weapon but I would buy another in a heart beat if this is how they do it. At the range I didn't get to shoot for accuracy (shot at the 100yd range) but it seemed easy to fire, reasonably accurate from what I could tell and while I had a few issues with the load I was shooting the pistol itself I felt was 100% in it's first outing. Clean up was a breeze and I should note probably required since I'm sure the surplus ammo was corrosive.

I'm very happy with this pistol, it screams to be SBR or converted to a rifle (my plan) but as it came I don't think I could be happier.

BTW the load I was using was marked 32, 33 and 52 at 3, 6 and 9 with a oval mark at 12 (I think a 11 which would make it polish??).
    Last edited by mriddick; 08-18-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks for the range report. A fine looking weapon for sure.
    Sounds like you have a winner.
    I read somewhere if you decide to SBR it, the stock is fairly easy to make it functional again.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Very nice. Congrats! Thanks for the write-up.

I got a call from my dealer yesterday that the one I ordered ealier this week was in (I won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow). Now I need to find some ammo so that I can fire it some time.

Sarge
    Sarge

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Thanks for the report. Another for the I want list.....I'm working on buying something a little more expensive though. A M35A3

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

$269... this is very enticing. I do have several cases of 7.62x25.... Kinda cool really.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Thanks for the report. Another for the I want list.....I'm working on buying something a little more expensive though. A M35A3
    Are planning on doing some heavy hauling?
    You may end up making this your avatar.
    Last edited by slamfire51; 08-20-2011 at 04:16 PM.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I keep toying with the idea of getting one of those too.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I keep toying with the idea of getting one of those too.
    Get one, they are a lot of fun!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.