Thread: Well I filled out another 4473

Well I filled out another 4473

I picked out a Remington 870 Wingmaster. I thought I wanted the express but the wingmaster is finished a lot nicer.

Anyone Else own one? They have sold 10 million since 1950 so I figure there is one for about every 30 people. if 20 out of 30 people are adults, than There is probably one 870 for every 20 adults. If 25% of the population owns guns and everyone on here owns guns, I'd say one out of every five gunsnet members ought to own an 870. LOl I am bored today.

Who else has one? I have an Ithaca and Mossberg as well. The Ithaca is a well built firearm and the Mossberg 590 seems like it was built to be cheap from the get go. The 870 seems nice but they cut some corners on it too.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I have spent a lot of time with a Remington 870 wingmaster. Although the mossberg seems to be built cheaper, it is a lot less prone to malfunction due to the buildup of dirt. In my experience, the 870 gets dirty quick, and when it gets dirty it doesn't like to feed and eject properly., and the slide starts to feel "sticky".

So I give the edge on worksmanship to the Remington, but my award for reliability has to go to my M590.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I have had 2 870s, one was the Wingmaster, the other a Wingmaster Express. I liked the finish on my Wingmaster, it was a very pretty gun. I traded to the Wingmaster Express because I was getting into goose hunting and I needed to be able to use 3" shells. I had bought the Wingmaster master as pheasant/quail gun, so in my shortsightedness I didn't get the one that could handle a 3" shell.

As for reliability, the only issue I have ever had is with operator error. If you don't get the round fully into the magazine tube you can actually end up with it popping out into the feed area before you eject a fired round. This locks up the gun tight and requires removing the barrel to fix. When you have quail flying all around you it is heart breaking. At least that is what I have heard.

In California I started getting into trap shooting. I would be there with my $300 870 Wingmaster Express firing better than the guys on either side of me with the $1500 Brownings and $2000 Barrettas. I think it is a great gun.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I have 3 870's

1 24"
    1 18" full wood stock
    1 18" P-grip complete hogue setup

Had a Wingmaster but sold it.

Favorite though is my Itacha 37
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I had a 12 guage Wingmaster - light as a feather and points like a wand. I gave it to my son in law. I still have a 20 guage Wingmaster - even lighter - my dove gun.

I also have an 870 Express in black poly - not as light but a tough shotgun with remchoke - a good duck/goose gun. Just hose it off when you get back to camp...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Here's a 870 I sold to my bro, and he then sold it to whos2kno here. Wish I still had it.

There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I'd like to get the Air force mag extension/bayo lug adapter.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I've got two. One, a Sheriff's Dept trade-in with a cylinder bore, and a PG-only one strictly for HD. Both have extra space in the tube for more than the factory set up.

How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.