Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The guide gun arrived

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

The guide gun arrived

Well the Guide Gun arrived as notified by Bud's. The buttstock was a little loose - and the box looked like it'd been knocked around pretty hard on the way.

Upon close inspection when I got home, I found a hairline crack on the wrist. The fit of the wood to metal was poor as well.

Trigger pull is heavy but it breaks clean.

I'm going to send it back to Marlin to get the buttstock replaced - hopefully, they will replace it with one that is properly fit....
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

sorry to hear that as I always liked the idea of owning one....

.....did you get yours in 45/70 govt. or the .338 ? I think they push a .444 as well ?

To my knowledge they are only chambered in 45-70, 444 Marlin and 450 Marlin.

Mine's a 45-70.

I'm not worried - I am sure they will take care of it... but it is a hassle.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 08-22-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: to fix the 405 - to 450...

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Marlin Guide guns are based on their Model 1895 with an 18.5" barrel. There has been a few variation over the years.

1. Model 1895G Guide Gun, chambered in .45-70 Government, 18.5" ported barrel (porting discontinued in 2002), blued finish, production began 1998

2. Model 1895GS Guide Gun, stainless version of the Model 1895G, production began 2001

3. Model 1895GBL, this was a large loop version of the Model 1895G, production began 2010

The have been some other big bore levers from Marlin with carbine length barrels that technically aren't considered a Guide gun.

1. Model 444P, chambered in .444 Marlin, 18.5" ported barrel, blued finish, produced 1999-2002

2. Model 1895 SRL, chambered in .480 Ruger/.475 Linebaugh, 18.5" barrel, blued finish, produced 2004 only.

3. Model 1895M, chambered in .450 Marlin Mag., 18.5" ported barrel, blued finish, produced 2000-2010.

Steve

Steve
    Last edited by Gunreference1; 08-22-2011 at 06:44 PM.
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    To my knowledge they are only chambered in 45-70, 444 Marlin and 405 Marlin.

Mine's a 45-70.
    If you're getting a Guide Gun, isn't that the only sane choice?
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

I think so yeah.

Isn't it considered a guide gun because of it's anti-bear capabilities.....next best thing being a shotgun with slugs !!!

They are called guide guns because they are named after the custom guns that were made for Alaskan guides - (short barrel, straight grip, 45-70) that they copied. These custom guns were cut down and made from the standard Marlin 1895's.

Wild West Guns started making them as a stock item and then Marlin finally decided to make a version of their own.

I would like to compare a non-ported one to my ported GG. See what what the difference is.
    Too bad about the stock.

Sorry to hear about the stock. Hopefully you documented the damage.
    Shouldn't the carrier be responsible for the damage?

Anyway I had a 444 Marlin back in the day. The pistol bullet jacket was too light for the intended purpose of the gun. Reloading with a thicker jacketed bullet would have made it a better cartridge, IMO. It did do a number in steel rams out at 200 yds. Smacked them down pretty hard.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I can't be sure that the crack was from the handling or it happened when I snugged up the tang screw...?

Regardless, the way I see it, it's Marlin's fault for not fitting the stock properly and then not securing it to the tang.

I'm hoping that when I send it back, they do a much better job of it...

Quote Originally Posted by awp101 View Post
    If you're getting a Guide Gun, isn't that the only sane choice?
    The .450 Marlin is basically a HOT belted mag version of the .45-70.

I've got the 1895 Cowboy in .45-70 myself. Love that gun.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Yeah there's literally nothing the 450 Marlin can do that a hot load 45-70 can't. Same cartrdige for all practicle purposes.

I just called Marlin to see about returning the gun.

The lady asks "are you comfortable changing the stock yourself?" I sez "yes Ma'm that's no problem at all" and so she's going to just send me a new stock... she checked the serial number to be sure and get the right one - sez they're on backorder but should ship in a couple weeks... and that she doesn't need the old stock back... "OK" I say.

We shall see. That's certainly better than having to send the gun back and forth - especially now that uncle batfuck dictates that it go through a dealer.

I've already got some improvement in the trigger just by dry firing...

All of my shop stuff is packed up in anticipation of our coming move..., I'm going to put some lapping compound on the internals including the sear and then work the action some and then clean it up - that usually slicks things up nicely. Kind of an excellerated break-in.

Got around to shooting a pic:

Looks just like a Guide Gun!

Funny how the digicam exagerates the difference in the wood - it doesn't look like that in person- there's barely a discernable difference. We'll see what the replacement buttstock will look like.

On the bright side of this, the metal finish is very good. Blueing is very even and dark. Everything is aligned correctly and the fit is good. It's growing on me more and more as I handle it.

Yeah there's literally nothing the 450 Marlin can do that a hot load 45-70 can't. Same cartrdige for all practicle purposes.

I just called Marlin to see about returning the gun.

The lady asks "are you comfortable changing the stock yourself?" I sez "yes Ma'm that's no problem at all" and so she's going to just send me a new stock... she checked the serial number to be sure and get the right one - sez they're on backorder but should ship in a couple weeks... and that she doesn't need the old stock back... "OK" I say.

We shall see. That's certainly better than having to send the gun back and forth - especially now that uncle batfuck dictates that it go through a dealer.

I've already got some improvement in the trigger just by dry firing...

All of my shop stuff is packed up in anticipation of our coming move..., I'm going to put some lapping compound on the internals including the sear and then work the action some and then clean it up - that usually slicks things up nicely. Kind of an excellerated break-in.
    Not exactly accurate.
    You can ship a gun to a manufacturer and they will ship it directly back to you since there has been no change in ownership. Same with a parts kit and a registered receiver sent to a 01 or 07 FFL. After it is built, they ship it to your doorstep.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I thought uncle batfuck ruled (they get to rule on things now apparently) that manufacturers must ship to FFL when returning firearms - same for sending to gun writers -the gun writers now have to have an FFL or use one when getting guns for review...

Stupid, I know, but that's my understanding.

Also, I removed the buttstock and found that there were two "chips" cleanly broken off on each side of the wrist inside... it must have taken a good hit during shipping... I removed them and it actually fits better now...
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 08-23-2011 at 04:18 PM.

I thought uncle batfuck ruled (they get to rule on things now apparently) that manufacturers must ship to FFL when returning firearms - same for sending to gun writers -the gun writers now have to have an FFL or use one when getting guns for review...

Stupid, I know, but that's my understanding.

Also, I removed the buttstock and found that there were two "chips" cleanly broken off on each side of the wrist inside... it must have taken a good hit during shipping... I removed them and it actually fits better now...
    If they changed things, it's news to me.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I think about a year ago... sucks yeah.

Well, I was wrong.

After installing the XS sights, I realy noticed that the barrel was tilting right - not indexed correctly.

Anyhoo, I called Marlin up and told them and the guy (guy this time) said "send it in"... and gave me the details.

I asked if it would have to come back through my dealer and he said "nope" - comes right back to you.

So, it's still back and forth between customer and manufacturer w/o dealer.

Well, I was wrong.

After installing the XS sights, I realy noticed that the barrel was tilting right - not indexed correctly.

Anyhoo, I called Marlin up and told them and the guy (guy this time) said "send it in"... and gave me the details.

I asked if it would have to come back through my dealer and he said "nope" - comes right back to you.

So, it's still back and forth between customer and manufacturer w/o dealer.
    Dang, Sorry to hear about that.

That's good news about no-dealer shipping though.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast