Thread: Need some advice 2

Question Need some advice 2

Ok I have the ejector and the ejector retaining pin. Will I hurt the receiver buy punching it from the outside. I think this is the only option as the old pin is bent to nearly a 45 deg angle. The punch mics at .065 and the pin mics the same do I need a
    smaller punch?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Sorry, what firearm is this?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I'm no engineer, and don't know what firearm you're talking about... but it just seems logical to me to use a smaller punch. If the punch is the same diameter as the pin/hole, you're bound to nick/gar the edge of the hole?

Since the pin is bent, what about drilling a small counter hole in the pin for a positive "stop" or "guide" for the punch to hit?

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Sorry, what firearm is this?
    Win model 1200 12 ga. pump circa 1984

be the heat..

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

OIC

I agree with Mark - use a smaller punch - and the general gunsmithing rule is to install right to left and remove the same way - as you hold the gun in firing postion - that right...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    I'm no engineer, and don't know what firearm you're talking about... but it just seems logical to me to use a smaller punch. If the punch is the same diameter as the pin/hole, you're bound to nick/gar the edge of the hole?

Since the pin is bent, what about drilling a small counter hole in the pin for a positive "stop" or "guide" for the punch to hit?
    It is bent on the inside of the rec., as far as drilling I do not believe I am that good. The pin mics at .063. I will wait and get a smaller punch. Brownells beckons.

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    OIC

I agree with Mark - use a smaller punch - and the general gunsmithing rule is to install right to left and remove the same way - as you hold the gun in firing postion - that right...
    This pin is on the left side of the receiver. It would have had to go in left to right. If I try to straighten the pin it may break
    and I have no way to drive it out from the inside of the rec. any thoughts?

be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

OK I looked at an exploded diagram of the 1200 Winchester and see the ejector return pin is very small and not very long. Does the pin come through to the outside of the receiver? If so then you should be able to drive it out by using the smaller punch you're going to buy. I would attempt to drive it from the outside, to the inside. A pin that small is probably parallel, no taper so it should go either way.

My question is, how'd the pin get bent?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    OK I looked at an exploded diagram of the 1200 Winchester and see the ejector return pin is very small and not very long. Does the pin come through to the outside of the receiver? If so then you should be able to drive it out by using the smaller punch you're going to buy. I would attempt to drive it from the outside, to the inside. A pin that small is probably parallel, no taper so it should go either way.

My question is, how'd the pin get bent?
    Now that sir is a real good question. It has come to mind, as the only thing that moves near is the bolt. If I ever get any time off we will be at the range. I replaced the ejector and the retaining pin, all I can say at the moment is that it does feed and eject the rounds.
    The pin does have small knurls on it, I was able to straighten the old pin and used a c-clamp to push it from inside / out.
    Last edited by l921428x; 08-25-2011 at 03:11 AM.

be the heat..