Thread: Value of S&W model 29

Value of S&W model 29

Good morning all,

Due to health, my brother in law wants to sell his S&W model 29. Being family I don't want to take advantage of him, but also I don't want to pay too much. Here is what he said it was:

6 1/2 inch pinned barrel, no case Pachmeyer grips and had a trigger job with 3 pound pull. Wife took this info from him and neglected to ask about the finish. Knowing him though it is blued and 95%+.

What would be your estimates of a fair price to both of us?

Thanks once again for your guidance(s).

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Hard to say without pictures. If it's a 6.5"bbl and it's pinned then I'd guess it's a 29-2. IIRC they were originally a 6.5" then went to a 6" and then may have gone back to a 6.5". If I had the serial # and my catalog I could tell you about what year it was made and for sure which model and engineering variation it was.

Not have the original stocks hurts but for a ballpark estimate, assuming it's blued and 95% I've imagine $600-$700. Depending on who did the trigger job and how well it was done that might hurt the value.

Some features such as target trigger and hammer versus combat or semi target can effect the value as well. More info would really help.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Hard to say without pictures. If it's a 6.5"bbl and it's pinned then I'd guess it's a 29-2. IIRC they were originally a 6.5" then went to a 6" and then may have gone back to a 6.5". If I had the serial # and my catalog I could tell you about what year it was made and for sure which model and engineering variation it was.

Not have the original stocks hurts but for a ballpark estimate, assuming it's blued and 95% I've imagine $600-$700. Depending on who did the trigger job and how well it was done that might hurt the value.

Some features such as target trigger and hammer versus combat or semi target can effect the value as well. More info would really help.
    Rich,

First, thanks for the reply. I am sorry about the lack of info. My wife really isn't into guns. He did say it was an early production. I was thinking around $600 myself. Glad to see I wasn't too far off. I'll see if I can get more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    Rich,

First, thanks for the reply. I am sorry about the lack of info. My wife really isn't into guns. He did say it was an early production. I was thinking around $600 myself. Glad to see I wasn't too far off. I'll see if I can get more info.
    If it's an early one it could be worth two or three times what I said. I'll run home at lunch and get my reference book. Pretty sure the Model 29 came out in a four screw and then a five screw model (maybe the other way around, talking about the side plate screws and the screw in front of the triggerguard. They made a lot less of one model then the other and collectors will pay well for early or short production models even if in less than original condition.

Unfortunately as crazy as I am about S&W wheelguns the Model 29 isn't one I'm into (yet) so I apologize for the lack of info I'm able to provide. Get me some more data thought and I'll do my best.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

If it's an early one it could be worth two or three times what I said. I'll run home at lunch and get my reference book. Pretty sure the Model 29 came out in a four screw and then a five screw model (maybe the other way around, talking about the side plate screws and the screw in front of the triggerguard. They made a lot less of one model then the other and collectors will pay well for early or short production models even if in less than original condition.

Unfortunately as crazy as I am about S&W wheelguns the Model 29 isn't one I'm into (yet) so I apologize for the lack of info I'm able to provide. Get me some more data thought and I'll do my best.
    Rich,

No need to apologize. Your detailed knowledge far surpasses what I know. Please don't make a special trip on my account. This isn't going to happen over night.

As a side note, I already have a 6" nickel 29 I bought used from a pawn shop 30 years ago. This one would be for my son.

Thanks again sir.

Not a problem. I either run home or go to McDonalds.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

OK, a few high points. Best thing is to get sis or your BIL to open the cylinder and read off the model # which will be 29, 29-1, 29-2, etc. The 6.5" bbl was dropped in 1979 while still under the -2 engineering code. Also in the -2 era (1969) the serial number prefix went from S to an N. The S is better than the N to collectors, don't ask me why it just is.

Some folks don't realize you measure from the muzzle to the face of the cylinder when it comes to barrel length so knowing the model number and - as well as the serial # prefix can kind of help with confirming things.

If you can get any additional info I can give you more specifics.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Here you go - check this out: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx

Looks like at least $700 would be fair.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

OK, a few high points. Best thing is to get sis or your BIL to open the cylinder and read off the model # which will be 29, 29-1, 29-2, etc. The 6.5" bbl was dropped in 1979 while still under the -2 engineering code. Also in the -2 era (1969) the serial number prefix went from S to an N. The S is better than the N to collectors, don't ask me why it just is.

Some folks don't realize you measure from the muzzle to the face of the cylinder when it comes to barrel length so knowing the model number and - as well as the serial # prefix can kind of help with confirming things.

If you can get any additional info I can give you more specifics.
    Thanks Rich. I sent an email this morning asking for the sn. He just had his chemo yesterday so he is probably under the weather. As soon as I get more info, I'll send it along. I really appreciate all the effort.

You're welcome. Hope everything goes well with your BIL
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

You're welcome. Hope everything goes well with your BIL
    Thank you Rich. I am sending the SN now by pm. It is an N number. I don't think the gun is as old as he thinks.