Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haters?

Haters?

I don't understand what the problem is and why i catch so much hate on the AK pattern rifles. Is it that hard for folks to appreciate things for what they are? It seems to come primarely from the AR15 corner.
    First off, i like AR15s, i appreciate their versatility and what they can do. They are far more reliable them people give them credit for. Problem is i am bored with them. I held one for 10 years and i know the weapon inside and out. Too many companies are making them and everyone has one however, i know that's not exactly a bad thing.
    The AK on the other hand is more accurate then people give them credit for and they are so much cheaper. They may be flawed from a human engineering stand point but, their beauty and reliabilty are un deniable. AKs are cheap, rugged and user friendly. You have to appreciate it for what it is, a working mans rifle.
    Last edited by squid0812; 08-30-2011 at 02:11 AM.

I have one AK variant and no AR. My friend has a AR and no variant. I have 400 in mine and with all his attachments, he has prolly close to 2000 in his.
    To me it is all in what you want, everyone else can be damned!!!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Don't know. I like them all. well pretty much, hipoint I might make an exception, but then again I don't own one and am going from their FUGLY looks.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by squid0812 View Post
    I don't understand what the problem is and why i catch so much hate on the AK pattern rifles. Is it that hard for folks to appreciate things for what they are? It seems to come primarely from the AR15 corner.
    That's because that sect of rifle owners tend to be elitist snobs from my experience. You get that attitude even within ar15 owners circles. It's "omg you have a spikes or a bushmaster! What a noob. Everyone knows the only real m4 is an LMT or LWRC because that's what special forces uses and everything else just sucks and you would know that if you did'nt suck too"

Sanctimonious spawn of a mall ninja's anal cum bubble sucking jerks....
    I really despise people like that...
    They may be flawed from a human engineering stand point but, their beauty and reliabilty are un deniable.
    Flawed how? It does exactly what it was designed for exactly the way it was designed to do it. The absolute genius in it's design IS it's simplicity and roughness of manufacture. MK was a really smart engineer because that's what really smart people do. Make things simple for others. Now if by flawed you mean ergonomics, that's easily "fixable" at this point if you actually consider it a "problem". You can have anything on an ak now that you could have on an m4gery.

AKs are cheap,
    Plus
    rugged
    Plus
    and user friendly.
    Plus

I aint seeing a downside here yet.
    You have to appreciate it for what it is, a working mans rifle.
    Say that after i post the final price tab and pics for everything i've done to my norinco. It aint gonna be a small number. Right on par with a high end ARF. But i'll betcha the ARF jams from lack of cleaning long before my Norinco does
    Last edited by stinker; 08-30-2011 at 04:00 AM.

Must be those you shoot with, I've never had that problem very much.
    Last edited by mriddick; 08-30-2011 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by squid0812 View Post
    I don't understand what the problem is and why i catch so much hate on the AK pattern rifles. Is it that hard for folks to appreciate things for what they are? It seems to come primarely from the AR15 corner......
    Hey man....

Team GunsNet Bronze 02/2014

I just like what I like and don't worry about what other people think. I think they just need to justify spending 3 times as much as I do. HAHAHAHA!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by TomO View Post
    Hey man....

Lol...I just watched that movie again, if that'd been the US, there'd have been some dead delinquents.....

I love the AK, it's a great option to be sure. I am also a HUGE fan of the Mini-14's and their cost effective, easy to maintain and reliable firepower.

But to be perfectly honest, if you live in the USA, there is NO excuse NOT to have at least one good AR. Available Parts, Easy to work on, cheap mags, probably a few people in your neighborhood have one as well.....

When you need a SHTF Semi Auto you CANNOT go wrong with an…
    1) AR-15
    2) AKM
    3) Mini-14
    In basically ANY order. They are all excellent.

Just remember though... Fish is gonna swim and..

I
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Don't know. I like them all. well pretty much, hipoint I might make an exception, but then again I don't own one and am going from their FUGLY looks.
    I have all 3 and like them equally. I have the older style Hi-Point carbine and it's perfect for what it is. At 50 yds, I can hit a beer cans all day long (after I make sure they're empty)...and the groups at that distance are pretty good. The only downside is the cheap, plastic-bottomed magazine. They don't hold up to the pressure of a fully loaded mag very well. If they made an all-metal mag, it would be perfect. I've never had a misfire and it's super light to carry.

If push came to shove, I'd probably grab my AK over my AR. I'm more comfortable with the AK.

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post

When you need a SHTF Semi Auto you CANNOT go wrong with an…
    1) AR-15
    2) AKM
    3) Mini-14
    In basically ANY order. They are all excellent.
    What, no M1 carbine or Garand? What about an L1A1 or an M1A?

Just food for thought.

Rage

Unhappy

When i said flawed from a human engineering standpoint, i was talking primarely about the short sight radious.
    Also, AKs can be expensive but, they are still cheaper to get into then most black rifles

I really dislike being put in this position because I have no more loyalty to one design over the other but…

I almost never see "hating" from AR owners about the AK, though most AK guys are convinced it’s there. In fact I usually see more disdain come from the AK guys directed at the AR guys.

When you do see folks looking down on the AK it's usually when the AK guys try making poor quality mods in an attempt to turn the AK into something it's not. Though AR guys are just as bad or worse about this and generally get mocked as much or more. IMO SKS guys are the absolute worst about this.

If done well, with quality parts in a well thought out manner an AR guy will generally approve of making an AK "tacti-cool" but might scratch their head when you start sinking so much money into what was intended to be a low cost gun.

I spend A LOT of time on the range and see about as many AKs as ARs and from what I've seen AKs (usually the cheap ones) fail more than ARs.

"BLASPHAMY!" You say? It's the truth. Yep my SAR-2 literally went more than half a decade and thousands of rounds before I cleaned it but I've seen far more poorly assembled AKs fraught with problems than I have with ARs. The difference between the two is that the AK is usually excused when it has a failure as an outlier when an AR failure is held up as proof the Stoner design is a jam-o-matic. Even the Type 1 AK-47 got pulled for not being up to snuff behind the iron curtain. The M-16 essentially failed on camera in the US during Vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by Starvin View Post
    I really dislike being put in this position because I have no more loyalty to one design over the other but…

I almost never see "hating" from AR owners about the AK, though most AK guys are convinced it’s there. In fact I usually see more disdain come from the AK guys directed at the AR guys.

When you do see folks looking down on the AK it's usually when the AK guys try making poor quality mods in an attempt to turn the AK into something it's not. Though AR guys are just as bad or worse about this and generally get mocked as much or more. IMO SKS guys are the absolute worst about this.

If done well, with quality parts in a well thought out manner an AR guy will generally approve of making an AK "tacti-cool" but might scratch their head when you start sinking so much money into what was intended to be a low cost gun.

I spend A LOT of time on the range and see about as many AKs as ARs and from what I've seen AKs (usually the cheap ones) fail more than ARs.
    I am going to have to disagree with you here, i have never seen a properly maintaned AK fail, let alone fail more then an AR15.
    Seems to me most AR guys only care about accuracy and how much crap they can hang on it.
    Not that you said it but,i don't consider a reflex or eotec a waste of money. The only thing that concerns me is, can this rifle throw large volumes lead down range reliably and with reasonable accuracy? Yes it can. I want to hit man size targets consistently at 300 meters. AKs will do that and do it fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Ditto ... if anything I've gotten more flack from AK owners

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    What, no M1 carbine or Garand? What about an L1A1 or an M1A?

Just food for thought.

Rage
    Well sure, Hell my MAS 49/56 is an excellent choice... but the ones I mentioned seem to be "The Big Three".
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Nobody i shoot with seeing as how i never get to shoot because of my being trapped out in this fking truck.
    I'm was talking more along the lines of the keyboard commando web ninjas in this particular case.

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York

AK or AR hmmmmm...

Well I've heard this same thing for years about anything that has a more expensive counterpart. My cameras Nikon, not liked by Leica owners, cars VW, not liked by BMW owners, BMW owners, not liked by Porsche owners.
    I don't play the game, yes I have AK's, black rifles, shotguns vintage and modern arms.
    I buy what I like because I love to shoot different weapons in different calibers. So
    It comes down to personal preference. Shoot em' if ya' got em', field strip em when
    yer done.
    Just me and my monkey....

Lets just roll over to those ARFCOMS place and beat'em up!!!
    ahhh jk jk im an ar15 guy too..

I agree with binky.
    I think people should collect them all! can't say there's many firearms i "wouldnt" want to own given the money.
    The more time ppl spend hatin' the more time theyre wasting not shooting..

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Cows may come and cows may go, but AK's run all day long! The days of the cheap AK are over.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast